2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum fixed rattle from headliner brake light cover

04-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
fixed rattle from headliner brake light cover

I drive with my windows down at every opportunity, but my car has had a rattle in the rear seat shelf or headliner area that has been really annoying. I banged around on the rear seat shelf area and found nothing that seemed to be the culprit, then I did the same in the headliner area and thought I found the problem to be that the plastic housing for the brake light had some freedom of movement. Its clips were holding it in place, but not tightly against the headliner. My guess was that with the windows down, the turbulence in that area was making it flutter and create the noise I could hear from the front.

I removed it by following some instructions I found through a Google search. Summarized, start at the rear edge and pull downward. There are two clips at the sides close to the rear edge of the panel. Once those two rear clips are freed, then pull the panel rearward to disengage the two front clips. None of the clips are built such that you need a special tool to release them.

It was so easy I did not even bother to take pictures.

Lo-and-behold, I found that someone, the original owner or dealer, had also been annoyed enough by the noise to attempt a fix. Their fix had been to wrap the clips in a light layer of cloth. The thin cloth did not stop the panel from buffeting in the wind, so the noise was still there when I got the car.

I removed their cloth job and put a strip of old 1/4" weather stripping around the perimeter of the upward-facing panel edges and anywhere I thought the panel would make contact with the headliner.

I popped it back in and had hope that my solution would work because I had to press firmly upward to compress the weather stripping and engage the clips.

A test drive with the windows down at speeds up to 80 (oops, I meant 65) revealed that my $0.20 solution had worked. I hope this helps anyone who is nagged by that same annoying plastic rattle noise from the rear of their car!
      04-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
pleeson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i XDrive

Thanks for the tip!
I feel reassured that I'm not the only one annoyed by those rattles...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Nope. Common complaint!
      05-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
Nope. Common complaint!
I've been trying to chase down that rattle for almost 2 years in our '12. The '14 was fine until I had the windows tinted. I had the same place do the tint on both (HIGHLY recommend Ace Window Tint in Escondido!) and the rattly didn't start until after the tint (makes me wonder if removing that trim piece creates the rattle...). I used your fix on the '14 a few days ago and......

THE RATTLE IS GONE!!! Now I need to do it on my wife's '12; well, when I get around it...

THANKS Mr. MWPos!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
ItBloo
Fish Gill
Rep
Drives: 2018 Accord Sport | 1995 540i

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
!!!!! I'm sure that's whats doing it in my car. Dang, I'll have to check that out sometime.