2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Xenons Yellow

03-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Alan99
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10MSport Auto2.0d

Xenons Yellow

Very pleased to say that at last I picked up my new F10 MSport Auto 2.0d in Alpine White yesterday. Only had one journey to work and clocked up 99 miles and first reports are of a very nice ride and the car does feel quite a bit larger than my previous same spec E60.

The only thing I am quite a bit disappointed with are the Xenons. On my E60 they were a crisp white light, however these new ones start up like this ( against my white garage door) but within say 10 seconds they go very yellow in comparison.Very evident when on country lanes. I cannot recall any one else commenting on this previously which I find this quite surprising given the change from which I believe was a far superior crisp white light that they were. It this common or do I have problems?

Any comments would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Brand New Xenon Bulbs Will Be Yellow.

After 100 Hours Of Use They Colorshift To A Whiter Hue.

In A Few Years They Will Gain A Bluish Tinge.

When Close To Death (7 Years Or So) They Turn Pink.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

If you don't like them now, Osram & Philips both have something that is 6000K.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
AME
Rep
Drives: 550i

Are the angel lights yellow by default? They are white on my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AME View Post
Are the angel lights yellow by default? They are white on my car.
They are yellow if you have halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Alan99
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10MSport Auto2.0d

They are for sure Xenons installed have checked this. The angle rings are really a crisp white ring, no problem there. Did not really want to change the bulbs as always been happy with them before. I did speak with my dealer today and there has been issues with the Xenons that the brightness being different between the two of them. I may try check one of their cars in dark warehouse where they store before delivery to see it against another new F10. Dealer did not have any other ideas to check them? Its so strange that when you them switch on they are as would expect but then they gradually go yellow/orangish in seconds. So surprised no one else have commented on them it they are all now like this?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan99 View Post
They are for sure Xenons installed have checked this. The angle rings are really a crisp white ring, no problem there. Did not really want to change the bulbs as always been happy with them before. I did speak with my dealer today and there has been issues with the Xenons that the brightness being different between the two of them. I may try check one of their cars in dark warehouse where they store before delivery to see it against another new F10. Dealer did not have any other ideas to check them? Its so strange that when you them switch on they are as would expect but then they gradually go yellow/orangish in seconds. So surprised no one else have commented on them it they are all now like this?
fwiw, I had an issue on another German car (non-BMW) where the lamps were not the correct color temperature between the two (one was warmer than the other.) Dealer said to run them for a while. 6 months later they were still off. Dealer finally replaced both bulbs under warranty and both are now perfect. Try to press your dealer to replace both bulbs and do a voltage test on the ballasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
AME
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
They are yellow if you have halogen lights.

Thanks for your response. I was referring to the yellow stripes found in the E60.

I'm wondering if those can be added to the F10.
Appreciate 0