2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Full list of BMW F10 530D Reliabilty Issues so far

09-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Full list of BMW F10 530D Reliabilty Issues so far

Loosing patience with unhelpful dealer network.

BMW comment tomorrow

2011 - 530d 50,000 miles Fbmwsh

Actual/Perceived Losses in 23 months

64 days lost ownership. Vehicle being repaired.
22 non-service related visits to dealer franchise networks.
6/8 visits to non-local franchise network totaling 528 miles.
20 approximate hours on research, attention and telephone calls.
Stress related anxiety for 12 months.
4 missed business appointments.
Train, hire car and fuel costs.

22 Visits to the dealer network in 23 months

I Drive Failure.
Engine Mounts.
Gearbox.
Engine Vibration.
Creaking trim.
Trim Rattles.
Dirt in instrument cluster.
Seat Rattle.
Seat Creaks.
Noise from the brakes.
Buckled wheels.
Misaligned panels.
Driveline click sound.
Cracked Suspension bush.

Warranty replacements in 23 months

Engine Mounts.
Gearbox.
Trim felting.
Seat felting.
Seat-back repairs.
Gearbox.
Instrument cluster.
Investigation work.

Guess what - out of warranty 6 weeks. Suspension, driveline or gearbox clunk noise...

Would you buy another one?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

lemon law?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
3Bavarian
Rep
Drives: 535d

Wow!,,,I just bought one 3 months ago. SO FAR SO GOOD!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #4
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

What is this Lemon Law?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think you've been incredibly unlucky there, to have so many issues on the one car.
A lot of creaks and rattles, well may be the build quality has improved, 2011 is still early in the life of the car. A lot of transmission issues as well.

At least it's under warranty but its how the dealer works with you on these matters that affects how you perceive this. The dealer can really make a difference there.

I can understand your concern about buying another one and from that long list, its enough to put most people off.
You can read through the forums here and see issues people have had, but I think in general, the car is good, perhaps the very early ones not as good.
Iv'e got a 530D as well, had it 2.5 years now. A lot lower milage than yours but only issues I've had are a creaking seatbelt holder in the B-pillar, replaced and pulling to the left which has mostly gone from swapping around the tyres and 2 punctures, but I can't blame that on BMW.

I'd certainly buy another one (this is my second) .

Sorry to hear you've had so many issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

And you haven't sold it yet, get rid and quick!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch
What is this Lemon Law?
Lemon law is a U.S. Law, if your car is in for repair for a certain amount of time or the same problem has to be repaired a certain amount of times you can force the manufacture to buy it back. That's a basic description I'm not an expert. Hope bmw treats you right.
      09-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I may be judgmental to say this but it is my honest opinion of the possibilities.

1. You have both major mechanical and multiple interior problems. It sounds like you are rough on your car especially when all the rattling and vibration complaints. That is almost always because you drive hard on rough surfaces way too often. Even Hondas and Toyotas will fall apart if you thrash it everyday.

2. Of all the appropriate names you can pick, you picked stormbitch which raises my eyebrow especially with what I said in #1.

3. The possibility of all this happening to one car even if it's a Kia is immensely unlikely. As far as I know, interior parts for the F10 didn't have problems and is very durable. All except for the stupid cupholders of course.

4. Misaligned panels? Is this from the factory or from a crash?

I think most likely you are hiding some truths and exaggerating others. You could jusall be just a lie for attention or to bash BMW. There's an extremely small chance of you being the unluckiest person to ever bought a vehicle.

It's not my first BMW and most people I know drove BMW at some point in their life. Collectively, I've never known BMW dealership or corporate office to be that unhelpful as they try to maintain brand image. Again, it's a rare chance that you would be screwed over this much.

Putting everything together, it sounds really shady. Yes, I know that BMWs are not the most reliable cars but it was never anywhere close to this degree of failures. Out of the 19 cars I've possessed in my lifetime, BMW is about average in reliability. I notice most of the problems occur at around 90k miles because people general don't rigorously maintain them after the warranty period is over. I've never seen or heard of any BMW owner with so many problems in one vehicle across the board like this. When you have mechanical, rattles, wheel, misaligned panels, seats, interior etc... problems all at the same time, he most likely problem is you.

Good luck with resolving this(your) problem(s).

Last edited by 493263; 09-12-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

1. Nope you are incorrect.

Far be it from me to correct you - but part of the trauma is due to

a. My passion for the brand

b. That I drive my car mainly on the motorway.

c. I have been a customer of BMW since 1991 and have no reason to bash them. Not that they really care what is said on a low traffic niche forum in a one off case.

2. I am rather offended that without knowing me you are vilifying me and my case inferring I am making this up. Quite upsetting, but its a forum and people are going to say things. Nothing can upset me more than having to argue with my favourite brand, passion and hobby.

It is BMW who have taught me about their level of quality and customer service.

If the owner who had the car for 20k miles before me abused the car beyond an inch of its life this will make sense.

Yes the car was sold to me having been in an accident and I was not told until the local body shop re aligned the front panels.

- My friend has a 2012 20,000 mile F10, purchased on my praise of how it feels to drive and so far in his first 8 months.

1. Wheel Bearing failure.
2. I drive Failure.
3. Service indicator showing the car needs a service every 2000 miles.
4. Seat issues
5. Panel and trim issues.

Whilst some might not worry about a seat creak on corners others are entitled to worry out them £50,000 is quite an expensive car.

I too have never known one of my cars to have so many issues either. Nor have I ever had to stoop to quoting consumer law to a dealership. Until they comment I am high and dry with a potential driveline problem and a cracked suspension bush at 50,000 miles one month out of warranty.

Even BMW customer care were shocked that I have had so many issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
And you haven't sold it yet, get rid and quick!
Yes mate I know.... but

1. Car will get 19/20 at trade. I would be happier with 23.

2. I like the F10 and why should I pay over the odds for a new one just cause this is broken. That makes no sense. :0

I hear you... and I agree but as this is now a case of:

"not free from defects" or "of reasonable quality" and Sale of Goods Act.

So by law I am actually entitled to refund, repair or exchange.

BMW even advised me that this would be their action too. My contract is with the dealer not the manufacturer.

Next time I buy a car... I want a micrometer report... the guy before me might have absolutely drove like a twit not caring cause it was lease.

BTW they now found the click sound from the transmission/ drive line to be a cracked suspension bush... it took them 11 days to diagnose it as they were unwilling to spend time on it out of warranty for investigation.

Not sure if reverse single metallic click is suspension bush, or diff, or transmission but it actually sounds expensive.

OH and also my brakes are rubbing as they are low

I think rather than quit - I just want to fight first - retreat later.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
....I have been a customer of BMW since 1991 and have no reason to bash them....
That list looks just nasty, sorry to read about that.
You got unlucky, VERY, very unlucky.

And I would be upset, bitter too, stressed....no doubt. But....

I'll just try to offer another point of view.
As someone who's just on his first BMW, having owned few different brands and having tried everything and anything out there over last 20+ years.

Yes, I would still roll the dice on one even after reading your list. As long as lists like yours are not majority of the forum topics out there (and as far as I know they aren't). Try to remember all the good reasons you've been BMW owner since 1991, and consider this horrible experience "one off".

Pretty much any car forum, any brand will have similar story to yours, it's impossible to be 100% sure it won't turn into nightmare ownership.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I like that. Agree.
Appreciate 0