2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications VRSF DP Review N55 F10

08-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Reading around about the VRSF DP it appeared everybody was pretty content on overall fit and finish and no long term problems seemed to have surfaced. Given the price point along with other users seemly satisfied i went ahead and ordered it.

Removal of the OEM DP was a PITA. The flange in the catback side did not want to wiggle out easily. We ended up dropping the entire exhaust system and then cork-screwed it out. It was a very tight fit as expected for OEM.

Placing the VRSF into the piping before mounting we immediately noticed a problem. The flange on the cat back side was not a snug fit and in fact was way to loose for our comfort. We figured once exhaust was back up the clamp would bite into the DP alleviating the loose connection. We tighten the clamp down as far as the we could and the VRSF DP easily slid out by pulling on it. Truly unacceptable. I had to start wondering about those other reviews. Then we thought maybe it was just user error so we continued to wrestle with the clamp without snapping the bolt. We ended up pinching the bolt, applying pressure and wrenching the crap out of it. We managed not to snap the bolt and getting it to bite down on the VRSF DP, but by no means is it a perfect design.

After install, started the engine and was bummed that I didn't get an increase in exhaust note. The damn 5 series is so freaking quite with those grandpa mufflers. Took it out for spin and the turbos are way more audible, but not necessarily in a good way. It sounds very metallic not awesome, but not horrible. It's cool I guess still getting used to it. I was really hoping it reduced turbo lag as our 5 series are notorious for that. It reduced it, but not by much. I've heard people claim as much as 50%, but I would venture to say more like 20-25%. So not much help on the low end, but that comes with the heavy 5 series we push around. The top end however there was a very noticeable increase and worthy upgrade for that portion of the car. Freeway passing has improved and the turbo sounds at those speeds is awesome.

If I had to do it again I think I would not. Our OEM DP is not as restrictive as we think. Maybe they are for other chassis' but it's not a crazy bump in power or sound. Sound in terms of exhaust notes. If you like a really busy sounding turbo you may like that byproduct of the VRSF DP.

Maybe other DP perform differently and this is just my personal experience. I thought I would share.

UPDATED/edited:
Ok some updates here and a slight apology to the VRSF DP product. I took my car to a known exhaust shop that does work on high end and muscle cars and they said it was not seated properly. They put it up on a lift and, used a crowbar to push the exhaust towards the DP and then tighten it. I will say that it has cured 90% of that leak sound, but I guess there's a natural metal sounding ring from the VRSF DP in higher RPM's. So my apologies to Tiago for improper install and review.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Reading around about the VRSF DP it appeared everybody was pretty content on overall fit and finish and no long term problems seemed to have surfaced. Given the price point along with other users seemly satisfied i went ahead and ordered it.

Removal of the OEM DP was a PITA. The flange in the catback side did not want to wiggle out easily. We ended up dropping the entire exhaust system and then cork-screwed it out. It was a very tight fit as expected for OEM.

Placing the VRSF into the piping before mounting we immediately noticed a problem. The flange on the cat back side was not a snug fit and in fact was way to loose for our comfort. We figured once exhaust was back up the clamp would bite into the DP alleviating the loose connection. We tighten the clamp down as far as the we could and the VRSF DP easily slid out by pulling on it. Truly unacceptable. I had to start wondering about those other reviews. Then we thought maybe it was just user error so we continued to wrestle with the clamp without snapping the bolt. We ended up pinching the bolt, applying pressure and wrenching the crap out of it. We managed not to snap the bolt and getting it to bite down on the VRSF DP, but by no means is it a perfect design.

After install, started the engine and was bummed that I didn't get an increase in exhaust note. The damn 5 series is so freaking quite with those grandpa mufflers. Took it out for spin and the turbos are way more audible, but not necessarily in a good way. It sounds very metallic not awesome, but not horrible. It's cool I guess still getting used to it. I was really hoping it reduced turbo lag as our 5 series are notorious for that. It reduced it, but not by much. I've heard people claim as much as 50%, but I would venture to say more like 20-25%. So not much help on the low end, but that comes with the heavy 5 series we push around. The top end however there was a very noticeable increase and worthy upgrade for that portion of the car. Freeway passing has improved and the turbo sounds at those speeds is awesome.

If I had to do it again I think I would not. Our OEM DP is not as restrictive as we think. Maybe they are for other chassis' but it's not a crazy bump in power or sound. Sound in terms of exhaust notes. If you like a really busy sounding turbo you may like that byproduct of the VRSF DP.

Maybe other DP perform differently and this is just my personal experience. I thought I would share.
Im at the same pickle with my 550i right now... I want to do downpipes but its just tough to justify the cost with hopes it will make a noticeable difference.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I will say that I just added this mod and I'm not sure about adaption time if any. Also my current tune probably needs to be updated to leverage it. I'll be visiting GSR soon and give updates at that point. The best effect was top end has noticeably improved.

Also my car smells like a carbureted big block when idling at the light. I don't mind just wish I had the exhaust note to match. Stupid 5 series grandpa mufflers are killing my exhaust game.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I will say that I just added this mod and I'm not sure about adaption time if any. Also my current tune probably needs to be updated to leverage it. I'll be visiting GSR soon and give updates at that point. The best effect was top end has noticeably improved.

Also my car smells like a carbureted big block when idling at the light. I don't mind just wish I had the exhaust note to match. Stupid 5 series grandpa mufflers are killing my exhaust game.
Im going to likely stick with cats when I do mine... about 80% of my prior cars had no cats and the smell of raw fuel gets less appealing as I get older! With the greater engine efficiency and likely slight drop in boost up top, they may be able to bump timing a bit and get you some more power. Tuning a vehicle thats "out" of turbo is much different than a standard turbo car that compensates for a drop in pressure, so with the engine becoming more efficient they may be able to go a bit more aggressive on the tune safely.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Damn really the DP didn't add no extra sound ? and minimal gains?
=\

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
Damn really the DP didn't add no extra sound ? and minimal gains?
=\
Well it did add some sound I'll post a video. The sound is weird not bad or super great. There is gains at the top end. I am going to have my tune updated because I'm told I can now advance my timing after the OEM turbo dies out on the top end to get a little more from the DP. The most disappointing part I was hoping for turbo lag reduction to be more than what I got. There's a reduction but not a satisfying amount, but again it could be that my tune is not adjusted for the DP.

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry to hear that
Did you contact VRSF about the issue?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Man...so do all DP upgrades give that gas smell inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
No.
Gas smell inside the car indicates you have a leak. Double check your installation.

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
Quote:
No.
Gas smell inside the car indicates you have a leak. Double check your installation.
I was just thinking about that today Mike.

1. The fitment on the outlet side was grossly off.
2. When we finally got the OEM bracket to bite the DP we didn't feel it was sealed 360 degrees.
3. That metallic sound I referred to earlier sounds more like a leak.

The gas smell doesn't come in to the cabin unless my windows are rolled down. I think the DP is either defective or it needs to be flared before installing. I didn't measure it, but I do know OEM exhaust piping is 2.36 and the way the VRSF slid in and out seems like it was for a 2.5 diameter fit.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was just thinking about that today Mike.

1. The fitment on the outlet side was grossly off.
2. When we finally got the OEM bracket to bite the DP we didn't feel it was sealed 360 degrees.
3. That metallic sound I referred to earlier sounds more like a leak.

The gas smell doesn't come in to the cabin unless my windows are rolled down. I think the DP is either defective or it needs to be flared before installing. I didn't measure it, but I do know OEM exhaust piping is 2.36 and the way the VRSF slid in and out seems like it was for a 2.5 diameter fit.
I recommend contacting VRSF. They are going to ask for pictures of the DP installed.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ok will do thanks.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Here's the videos. You can hear the loud swoosh of air-sound. In Person it has a metallic ring to it. It's a leak.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ah...i like the whoosh sound but I know what u mean about the metal raspy sound... gotta be an exhaust leak
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ok took a picture of the stock DP outlet diameter. Came out to 8cm or 3.149 inches. We're reaching out to Tiago to see if they'll just send a replacement with the correct size. I guess they had this down-pat for the n54 motor and n55 still needs some R&D?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Shoot...so their DP doesn't fit even tho it's for your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Shoot...so their DP doesn't fit even tho it's for your car?
I may have got a defective one still waiting for a response. It is interesting to know that the piping is already 3". I thought it was 2.36 like my e90. So the good the news is f10's without the exhaust valve have bigger piping.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I may have got a defective one still waiting for a response. It is interesting to know that the piping is already 3". I thought it was 2.36 like my e90. So the good the news is f10's without the exhaust valve have bigger piping.
While its a pain in the ass to have to do it yourself, if you would rather "fix" the problem instead of jump through hoops, these tools are usually able to be rented from auto parts stores like Oreillys and Autozone for free plus a deposit
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...ampaign=bingPA

Ive used them in a pinch and with an impact, they work well... that being said, Stainless is VERY hard to stretch so you may have to work at it a bit (factory stainless is typically very strong). At most it will take you 5 min and you can at least get a solid slip fit with it.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This should have been a straight Bolt on affair without any modifications
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This should have been a straight Bolt on affair without any modifications
Id be willing to bet the downpipes may not even be made by them other than the original design, so while its "their fault" it didnt fit, it very well could have been assembly error or poor quality control by the true manufacturer. Other than a handful of large companies with the ability to mass produce mandrel bends and/or lots of welding, many shops will produce the prototype and send it out for mass production. Even with a jig and ordering the components in mass, its very time consuming to tig weld everything together, polish it and get it "sale ready". If they were all hand built on a jig, the quality control would likely be better, but at an increased cost of having to factor a couple hours of assembly time plus prep into each one and having one guy down all the time doing it.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #22
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike
Quote:
While its a pain in the ass to have to do it yourself, if you would rather "fix" the problem instead of jump through hoops, these tools are usually able to be rented from auto parts stores like Oreillys and Autozone for free plus a deposit
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...ampaign=bingPA

Ive used them in a pinch and with an impact, they work well... that being said, Stainless is VERY hard to stretch so you may have to work at it a bit (factory stainless is typically very strong). At most it will take you 5 min and you can at least get a solid slip fit with it.
I was thinking I might end up doing something like this. Thank you for the link I'll look into that. If I go that route that will definitely void the warranty/return.

Appreciate 0