2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum New Member from Mexico

09-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Barto
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW GT

New Member from Mexico

Hi just a quick introduction.

I live on the shores of Lake Chapala deep in the interior of Mexico. My first BMW was a 3 series; then, a Mini-Cooper; and, now, a 335i GT. The GT is a space gray with beige interior. (The Harley is Pearl Gray.) My other ride is an 05 HD Roadking.

Love the styling and handling of the GT and look forward to sharing your experiences.

Sorry I'm too dumb to know how to take, much less upload, a picture.

Saludos

bart
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto View Post
Hi just a quick introduction.

I live on the shores of Lake Chapala deep in the interior of Mexico. My first BMW was a 3 series; then, a Mini-Cooper; and, now, a 335i GT. The GT is a space gray with beige interior. (The Harley is Pearl Gray.) My other ride is an 05 HD Roadking.

Love the styling and handling of the GT and look forward to sharing your experiences.

Sorry I'm too dumb to know how to take, much less upload, a picture.

Saludos

bart

I take it you mean "535GT" if so congratulations on your purchase!
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Barto
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW GT

Hi Car Fan, yes I meant 535i GT and I thank you for congratulating me on the purchase. I'm surprised after 99 views no one has said, 'Welcome to the Forum, sit down, pull out a beer and enjoy'.

I'm really quite pleased with this car. I love the interior and kind of think of it as a poor man's Rolls. The warm fall days with just a hint of "nip" in the air make driving with the sunroof open and the radio blaring a return to my youth. I bet this time of the year driving the 'Keys" is quite exhilarating. If the Rusty Pelican is still there stop by and have one 'on me'.

Enjoy!

barto
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
satijntje
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

Quote:
Hi Car Fan, yes I meant 535i GT and I thank you for congratulating me on the purchase. I'm surprised after 99 views no one has said, 'Welcome to the Forum, sit down, pull out a beer and enjoy'.

I'm really quite pleased with this car. I love the interior and kind of think of it as a poor man's Rolls. The warm fall days with just a hint of "nip" in the air make driving with the sunroof open and the radio blaring a return to my youth. I bet this time of the year driving the 'Keys" is quite exhilarating. If the Rusty Pelican is still there stop by and have one 'on me'.

Enjoy!

barto
Hello Barto,

better late then never......
Welcome to this F07 forum.
Congratulations with your car, its probably one of the best cars available on the market today.
I bought my 530d GT in Germany a few months ago, and I can confirm that one can only be very pleased with this car.

In the beginning when BMW release first pictures, there was a negative trend, but as this car comes more and more on the roads here in Germany, the acceptance of this new model is growing.

We have seen this before when Mercedes presented their E-class with round lights
In the beginning, everybody found them ugly, after one year, everybody wanted to have them.

I hope that you will enjoy you new toy on Mexico.

p.s. Do you have an alarming system installed?????

Kind BMW greetings from a cold Germany

John
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by satijntje View Post
p.s. Do you have an alarming system installed?????
Is it not standard equipment in Germany?

Not sure if we will see diesels in north america. I believe diesel F10 would be available here in 2011; haven't heard anything about F07.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Germany is one of the places where you can buy your BMW with options a la carte. Non-leather seats, no sunroof, etc. are in the base vehicle. Plus, they have 4 different engines and rear or X-drive. At the NYC autoshow, BMW told me the diesel GT would be here in 2011. They didn't say when in the year, and I neglected to ask if that would be rear or x-drive or both. I'm assuming it would be the 530d, but it could be the 535d (I'd rather the 530d). FWIW, the panoramic sunroof is a 1700 Euro option (about $2500). I'd much prefer forgoing a heavy hole in the roof for the additional headroom and lower center of gravity. Glass and motors are a lot heavier than a straight metal roof and all in the wrong place.

Out of curiosity, have you measured fuel economy on the diesel? On the Euro cycle, it is rated at 42mpg (6.7L/100km) on the extraurban cycle (highway). The bigger difference is the urban rating, which is in the high 20's, combined 34 or so in mpg.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
satijntje
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Germany is one of the places where you can buy your BMW with options a la carte. Non-leather seats, no sunroof, etc. are in the base vehicle. Plus, they have 4 different engines and rear or X-drive. At the NYC autoshow, BMW told me the diesel GT would be here in 2011. They didn't say when in the year, and I neglected to ask if that would be rear or x-drive or both. I'm assuming it would be the 530d, but it could be the 535d (I'd rather the 530d). FWIW, the panoramic sunroof is a 1700 Euro option (about $2500). I'd much prefer forgoing a heavy hole in the roof for the additional headroom and lower center of gravity. Glass and motors are a lot heavier than a straight metal roof and all in the wrong place.

Out of curiosity, have you measured fuel economy on the diesel? On the Euro cycle, it is rated at 42mpg (6.7L/100km) on the extraurban cycle (highway). The bigger difference is the urban rating, which is in the high 20's, combined 34 or so in mpg.
Fuel consumption is about 8.5 lrt/100km 50% country side, 25% motorway, 25% city.

In the beginning, after I picked up the car in Frankfurt, I drove mainly motorway, and had a fuel consumption of 7.3 ltr/100km.

Not bad for a 2000kg car (my X5 consumed 12 ltr/100km).

We in Germany do not have an alarming system standard on board, but cars in Luxemburg do have one in their standard configuration, as it is an obligation from the insurance companies.

Greetz from a cold Germany

John
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

That's a little over 27mpg on average for you. That's nice. On the diesels BMW does sell here in the USA, they charge a big premium over the similar gasoline engine. I know from the German pricelist, they are about equivalent (535i base is about the same as the 530d for example). Now, sometimes, there's a federal tax credit for the diesel here, so that brings the differential down, but it is still higher. Not sure why, as they are about even everywhere else I've looked. Probably BMW trying to boost profits, but they do include maintenance for 4-years/50K miles. Not sure if the maintenance requirements are more costly on the diesel (maybe oil changes occur more often?). Anyway, unless I'm forced to buy a new car, I'm keeping the current one until they show the diesel GT here, hopefully earlier in the year rather than later!

Assuming the car is delivered with all-season tires, (I like to have two sets, snows, and summer) assuming I didn't want to go into the Alps, or where snows were required, how much of a problem would you think I'd have with all-seasons if I took delivery at the factory in the winter? I'd probably try to arrange things so the car was delivered late April, or early May, so snow isn't as much of an issue, but if it ends up being in January, I need to figure out my options. There's a place that rents snows, but the expense is pretty high for a few days. I'd rather use that money to buy some to keep when I got home!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Enjoy!

barto
Thanks Barto! I'm not sure if the Rusty Pelican is there, but next trip down I will keep an eye out and have that drink
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0