2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Mulling 535 D purchase....

01-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #23
ActiveLife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M535d

I’m a couple months in on my 535d M Sport purchase and have loved every mile. 41hwy 35city.

Picked it up with 39k and just rolled past 58k miles... not a hiccup. Now out of warranty I’ll be doing my own maintenance.

I’m interested in researching more of these deletes you’re referencing. I’m in SoCal so not sure if I can pass it off yearly with the tunes and such you’re talking about, I just figured I’ll pull the intake and walnut blast/clean it all myself at 75k and then every 50k after.

I’d like to keep the car around a good while.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I would always opt for the diesel version, especially for lower fuel costs and more real driving torque. It really comes down to how you drive. If you like to rev it up, get the gasser and enjoy frequent fill-ups. There is no comparison with older diesels except perhaps the 2005-2006 MB E320 CDI which was great. At 100,000 miles, the gassers start to need a lot while diesels are just breaking in.

PL
Not sure on what you base that final statement. Used to be like that with older and simple diesel designs.

Over here in the UK the modern diesel isn't proving that reliable and durable for high mileage. Obviously depends on use, short trips are not helpful. It is not always the basic engine, but it's the ancillaries that cause the issues. EGR, manifolds, swirl flaps, injectors, turbo, DPF, etc. We've also had a lot of BMW timing chain issues with our diesels, wearing out, breaking prematurely. I can't see the complex exhaust after treatments like SCR being cheap to run long term.

Buying on fuel costs in the US seems a strange reason. Europe maybe, where fuel costs have a larger impact. The 535i is such a sweet engine, even guys like me (who have diesel in the blood) may/do prefer the 'i' to the 'd', unless high annual mileage makes the case for the diesel impelling.

Torque ... understand that (I've run the 3.0d motors) but the 535i only needs a few more revs to keep pace, and is much more enjoyable to drive.

Don't get me wrong, the 530d (535d US) is an excellent motor, but when you have a very competitive cost choice in the 535i, why bother?
Appreciate 1
TTG931.50
      01-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
^^^Again very well said. And clearly the sales of D vs I reflects that in the US.

There will always be some fan boys out there who think D's are cool and want to save further $$$ with already 50% off gas prices when they purchase a $70k car.

If long term reliability is a concern, I would once again go with I as there are so many of them around and repairs will be well known unlike the odd duck Ds. Again only for US market.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I also find it a bit strange that users buying diesel in the US want to delete EGR and remove the DPF/SCR system.

We've enough problems over here in Europe with emissions, without thinking of removing emission controls and taking them back to belching soot from the exhaust. Tuning simply makes that worse, in combination with DPF delete. Visual smoke from your BMW diesel won't make any friends.

BTW, what's your diesel quality like in the US? Can you get 'clean' diesel which helps reduce particulate matter and carbon build-up?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #27
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Not sure about the quality of the diesel. But if the quality of our regular gasoline is any indication, I doubt diesel quality is any better.

My only experience with them is when I get a loaner car from the dealer that is a D while my car is in service. Last time this happened, I had to search 45 mins for a gas station that served diesel and ever since I rejected any loaners that are diesels.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I suppose if I lived in an area, where diesel isn't sold, I would not buy one either. But it's my observation, after two cross-country trips, that the majority of newer gas stations offer diesel. In fact, Costco (a Washington-based company, I believe) is including diesel in most of their newer stores. As for reliability, the talk of class action against BMW (on this very forum) for the 2.0 liter "i" engines is not exactly a resounding endorsement that all is perfect with their gas engines. I've owned many more gas-engine vehicles, but for those that drive a lot or long distances, diesels can be an ideal choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:25 AM   #29
Huskyman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 340i

I’ve had an E61 with the M57 and no problems, an E90 with the M57 and it had 162k miles on it when part exec and it was still on the original turbo and DPF, I only had to change both engine stats. My mum has an F20 with the N47 with zero issues as well from new too.
I’ve got an Euro spec 535d with the twin turbos and it’s immense.
The petrol engines are not without their issues...
I do change my oil every 10k and give it a proper ragging every now and again though!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #30
Sight1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 535d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
This!!!! I grew up in Europe and even then we refused to buy diesel cars. There is no way I would even consider one in the US given low gas prices.

There was a 535d that dealer was offering a much larger discount on when I was buying my 535i and I passed and will always pass. It's msrp was 72k and I rejected it for $59k..... I still have it's build sheet somewhere.

No regrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
^^^Again very well said. And clearly the sales of D vs I reflects that in the US.

There will always be some fan boys out there who think D's are cool and want to save further $$$ with already 50% off gas prices when they purchase a $70k car.

If long term reliability is a concern, I would once again go with I as there are so many of them around and repairs will be well known unlike the odd duck Ds. Again only for US market.
You are calling people who buy diesels fan boys but you haven't given any reasons not to buy one and actually are stating a real reason to buy one over gas cars; the savings for high millage drivers.

You state you grew up in Europe where you refused to buy diesel even though the extreme price of gas so it seems like you are a fan boy of gas cars due to seeing them cooler than diesel. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight1 View Post
You state you grew up in Europe where you refused to buy diesel even though the extreme price of gas so it seems like you are a fan boy of gas cars due to seeing them cooler than diesel. Just saying.
And, speaking as someone who actually lives in Europe (in Belgium) today, you will find that at least 90% of F10s on the road in Belgium are diesel, and the vast majority are the 520d model. A good friend of mine is on his second 520d (now a G30 vice F10) and he did not have a single issue with his diesel motor. Living in the USA (or Canada) gives you a decidedly skewed perspective on things, to which I can also attest having grown up and lived most of my life in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #32
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
So what's the real world experience and cost of the diesel additive? What happens if one runs out? CAN one run out? How many miles does it last? Isn't there also the issue that the diesel is really only good for long hauls and not so good for mainly in-town driving?
The adblue fluid is not costly at all and easy to use. It lasts longer than the required oil change interval so far for me, which is 10-12,000 miles.

The city fuel economy might get under 30 mpg if you are used to gunning it. I get 32 maybe if just in stop and go traffic. Just a guess since I'm around 36.1 overall now.

I feel silly in this car - how far off other "enthusiasts" are with their gas guzzlers. the 535d (530d ROW) has more power than any non-teen driver can rationally use and performs magnificently all the while giving fantastic fuel economy and driving range. But on autobahn, perhaps more power would be in order....

PL
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not sure on what you base that final statement. Used to be like that with older and simple diesel designs.

Over here in the UK the modern diesel isn't proving that reliable and durable for high mileage. Obviously depends on use, short trips are not helpful. It is not always the basic engine, but it's the ancillaries that cause the issues. EGR, manifolds, swirl flaps, injectors, turbo, DPF, etc. We've also had a lot of BMW timing chain issues with our diesels, wearing out, breaking prematurely. I can't see the complex exhaust after treatments like SCR being cheap to run long term.

Buying on fuel costs in the US seems a strange reason. Europe maybe, where fuel costs have a larger impact. The 535i is such a sweet engine, even guys like me (who have diesel in the blood) may/do prefer the 'i' to the 'd', unless high annual mileage makes the case for the diesel impelling.

Torque ... understand that (I've run the 3.0d motors) but the 535i only needs a few more revs to keep pace, and is much more enjoyable to drive.

Don't get me wrong, the 530d (535d US) is an excellent motor, but when you have a very competitive cost choice in the 535i, why bother?
My 535d is my 5th diesel. The last 4 cars with diesel engines have gone at least 100,000 miles with no sign of any oil use, aging, or decrease in fuel economy or acceleration. When I sold 3 of them, they had 156,000 miles, 203,000 miles, 103,000 miles, and currently my daughter's has 105,000 miles (with "normal" oil use). The second one is currently at 350,000 miles with no engine issues, and saved me approximately $10,000 over 200,000 miles in premium gasoline cost compared to diesel.

Dunno, but the BMW gassers don't seem to go that far too commonly, but new tech is quite good for them too.

I am incredibly unimpressed with US drivers' choices of SUV's, pickup trucks, big gasoline engines etc. for a number of reasons. But honestly, who cares... Gasoline's pricing reflects a surplus of gasoline type distillate when diesel is in biggest demand across the globe. That is the reason for the price differential. Unless oil companies know how to economically fractionate to create more diesel, which I don't think is economical, the gasoline is dumped on the world market at low prices....

PL
Appreciate 0