2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media 99 Problems and a grill is one (Night Vision LCI Look)

07-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

99 Problems and a grill is one (Night Vision LCI Look)

Night Vision owners rejoice! I found a way to get that LCI look for.. well not exactly cheap, but not bad considering it's OEM parts.

Here was my first blind attempt purchasing non OEM double slat grills and trying to retro fit. The night vision vanity plate is molded into the OEM grill therefore even if I made this fit it would've looked awful.

You can see the slats have a vanity plate that extends from top to bottom and is molded in.

I stumbled upon a few photos showing M5's with night vision so I decided to try the OEM route. You'll want to look at 2014+ M5's for the option as the older cars use the grills shown above. My local dealer was kind enough to order the driver's side so I could mess around and see if I could make it work.

First off it's not a direct swap. The night vision module is different (narrower) on the newer cars therefore it took a tiny tiny bit of work.

The three torx bits holding the housing on easily remove and you can still use two of them correctly on the new grill. The bottom screw lines up after you remove a little piece of plastic from the night vision housing. Once its installed and completely flush you can self tap the top screw in a crevice that lines up pretty well. It's a tad ghetto but very solid and can be removed easily.

See, looks factory!

Another issue is the grill has an M5 badge which we all know has to go. Sadly the mount is molded into the housing and slats...so easily solution.

Pop off the 5 haha...

Doesn't look terrible.... not a fan of the badge but I think it's better than the whole thing removed.

On the car...

The next obvious is the chrome surround... and unfortunately it's the only color it comes in. I'll make short work of it and just have them painted factory black.

So there ya have it.. just shy of $200 for the pair minus paint and you're sportin' double slats!
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Looks pretty damn sweet! Are u trying to get rid of the chrome too?
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Looks pretty damn sweet! Are u trying to get rid of the chrome too?
Yeah the chrome trim will be removed and painted next week. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Nice work. Now just center the //M and you are golden!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake
Thanks I thought about that after I posted and will give it a shot. Any other suggestions on maybe what to put there is appreciated too.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake
Thanks I thought about that after I posted and will give it a shot. Any other suggestions on maybe what to put there is appreciated too.
I just have the //M on mine as well. I dabbed a drop of crazy glue when I centered it to make sure it doesn't fall off. If you do, be sure to only use a drop. Crazy glue turns plastic white, so you don't want it oozing out from behind.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

U should post this in the DIY section
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also anyone needing non-night vision performance grills I have the set pretty much NIB for $100
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I think the ///M should be centralised. As you've removed the 5, you need to move the ///M along a bit.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

awesome. Mine parked until April for the winter. I want to do this as one of my next mods.
I'm a little confused... First of all, where did you get the LCI grills, and second, what part did you get OEM from the Dealer. Was is the support? I'm on Realoem and i don't see the front piece as a separate part. forgive me if i'm confused!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
I think the ///M should be centralised. As you've removed the 5, you need to move the ///M along a bit.
+1
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #12
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Night Vision owners rejoice! I found a way to get that LCI look for.. well not exactly cheap, but not bad considering it's OEM parts.

Here was my first blind attempt purchasing non OEM double slat grills and trying to retro fit. The night vision vanity plate is molded into the OEM grill therefore even if I made this fit it would've looked awful.

You can see the slats have a vanity plate that extends from top to bottom and is molded in.

I stumbled upon a few photos showing M5's with night vision so I decided to try the OEM route. You'll want to look at 2014+ M5's for the option as the older cars use the grills shown above. My local dealer was kind enough to order the driver's side so I could mess around and see if I could make it work.

First off it's not a direct swap. The night vision module is different (narrower) on the newer cars therefore it took a tiny tiny bit of work.

The three torx bits holding the housing on easily remove and you can still use two of them correctly on the new grill. The bottom screw lines up after you remove a little piece of plastic from the night vision housing. Once its installed and completely flush you can self tap the top screw in a crevice that lines up pretty well. It's a tad ghetto but very solid and can be removed easily.

See, looks factory!

Another issue is the grill has an M5 badge which we all know has to go. Sadly the mount is molded into the housing and slats...so easily solution.

Pop off the 5 haha...

Doesn't look terrible.... not a fan of the badge but I think it's better than the whole thing removed.

On the car...

The next obvious is the chrome surround... and unfortunately it's the only color it comes in. I'll make short work of it and just have them painted factory black.

So there ya have it.. just shy of $200 for the pair minus paint and you're sportin' double slats!
you have the part number you bought?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
dreilly36
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d Xdrive M Sport

What model is this on? I'm trying like hell to get dual slats on my 2014 535d with night vision. Everyone keeps telling me you can't use m5 kidney because brackets are different
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:39 PM   #14
dreilly36
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d Xdrive M Sport

i just bought these looking to do the same thing. just wondering why you didnt just remove the 4 screws in the back of the housing for the original camera and install it in the new housing?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:13 AM   #15
FElleven
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 M550d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly36 View Post
i just bought these looking to do the same thing. just wondering why you didnt just remove the 4 screws in the back of the housing for the original camera and install it in the new housing?

Hi, I am waiting for your confirmation that this works out. I have F11 M550xd, LCI 2014 with night vision and also got information that M5 grills have different tabs on brackets and that it wont work.

Can you tell me part number for M5 grills with NV?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
Martinsvk
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10 530xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5Driver View Post

See, looks factory!

Pop off the 5 haha...

On the car...

Hi did you cut plate from original grill and glued to new? Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #17
shamel.bilto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550DX F11 2013

Hey man ! I hope u are doing great !

I just saw ur post modding the m5 f10 grill to fit the night vision into the grill and i wonder how can i do it . I want to have the carbon fiber grill with the night vision hole.

here is a picture of the grill i want but i did not find it as oem part.
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1571053104

I wonder if i can mod the m5 grill to fit the night vision into it because i searched a lot about the m5 f10 carbon fiber grill with the night vision but i could not find any oem carbon fiber grill.

I have a f11 m550dx with night vision and i like to swap the grill with the carbon fiber m5 f10 grill with the m5 badge.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0