2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Oil level readings

02-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Oil level readings

Does the oil gauge show varying levels or just basically full, half, min, and some kind of red/empty that I didn't see?

Last week I had to drive from San Antonio up to Fort Worth, and then back a couple days later. It is just shy of 300mi each way. On the way back, shortly after getting on the Rt130 bypass around Austin, I got a "minimum oil, add 1qt" warning. The gauge showed min. and yellow. Earlier in the drive, I had been playing in iDrive a little and checked the oil. At that time the level was mid-way between max and min, and was green. After driving about 20mi to get around Austin and back on I-35, I stopped and added 1qt. I left it on the gauge display as I drove back to civilization because I was concerned there might be a legitimate problem, but the gauge never budged. After adding oil, the gauge then read half way again. A little while later I checked again and it showed full.

Stupid car with no dipstick.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The level indicator you see on Idrive is not updated continuously, only after 5 min and then every 20min thereafter.

Your indications seem normal.

Quote:
Dynamic oil level measurement begins when following values are reached:

• Engine temperature > 60 °C

• Engine speed > 1000 rpm

• Transverse and longitudinal acceleration < 4-5 m/s2
The transverse acceleration signal is supplied by the DSC. The longitudinal acceleration
is calculated from the speed and time factors.

• Increase < 5% after covering a distance of approximately 200 m. The increase value
is detected by the ambient pressure sensor in the DME.

On reaching this value, the oil level indicator is updated approximately 5 minutes after starting vehicle operation. The oil level is then continuously measured. The indicator is
updated at 20 minute intervals. The "Check oil level" menu in connection with the dynamic oil level measurement is exited while driving (vehicle speed > 0) approximately
15 seconds after the oil level is displayed.
      02-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The resolution on the oil level gauge is higher than just full, half and empty.
Appreciate 0