2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Australia 520d spec

04-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
ericthc
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 20 AstonM Vantage. 22 X5 M50i

Australia 520d spec

Hi everyone,
Been reading this forum for a few weeks and have found it very good source of info. Thanks.

Having been a Merc owner for many years, I think it's time for me to jump ship into a F10.

In the process of finalising the spec of my 520d (which is a surprisingly good drive -- I had my doubts before driving it). Ahhh, "sheer driving pleasure".

So far this is my spec (I might be quite verbose as Aussie specs may be different to other parts of the world):
Alpine White
Oyster/Black Leather
Finline Anthracite trim
M Sport Pack (which includes body kit, lowered suspension, M steering wheel, sports seats -- no electric nor lumber, 18" 350M alloys)
Sports transmission
Ambient lights
Sunroof
BiXenon and washer
Professional Nav (10.2" screen)
HiFi upgrade
DARK tint
HUD (is standard)

What do you gus think? Anything else I should get?

I'm considering rear view camera since this is such a big car (mind you, I drive a Merc ML at the moment and only use the rear camera occassionally).

Does anyone also know if I order a car now, will the ones coming to Australia have the colour HUD and black panel display?

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Sounds great. Am v happy with my 520d and don't have several of your options. Ambient lighting I really wish I had.

Am visiting Aus at the moment and in one week have only seen 2 F10's so you are going to enjoy exclusivity too.

It is a big car but your parking spaces here are bigger than Europeans typically enjoy and we cope ok. I'd save your money and skip the rear camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
ericthc
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 20 AstonM Vantage. 22 X5 M50i

Hi ShakenBake... hope you are enjoying your visit. It bit warm even for autumn.
Come visit Perth. It's nicer here.

Yeah, for some reason the F10 is not very popular here... dunno why.

Thanks for the tip. I tried to parallel park the test car yesterday and failed miserably... have no problwm with my big ML -- must be familiarity (or lack thereof).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Love my 520d M sport, looks the business in carbon black and even more exclusive as it's only on M sport versions.

Consider folding mirrors, big car so you don't want them knocked off. Totally agree on sunroof, found the dark headlining very claustrophobic so went for sunroof and keep cover open, works a treat. Memory seats especially if two people drive the car. My wife is very short and after she's moved the seat right up to the wheel I can't even get in, so the memory seat is a godsend. Comfort access, didn't order this but wish I had, wife has this on her car and it makes life very easy by not having to get your keys out of your pocket.

Agree on not getting reversing camera, beepers are just as good, but you could get park assist for parallel parking if needed

Oh and the last must for me would be 356 wheels IMO they are the dogs.....looking to swap to them from the 351's I originally ordered next month. Wish I'd seen them before I'd ordered would have saved me some money swapping, but can keep the 351's as a winter set. Based on our last two winters this is something we need to start doing in the UK especially on a rear wheel drive car.

Enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

If I were to go back and re-spec mine (spec in the sig below) I think I'd probably swap the rear camera for the hi-fi upgrade.

Wasn't something that was important for me, but if you're going to drive enthusiastically then I'd certainly go m-sport, as my SE on 18s is quite soft.

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthc View Post
Come visit Perth. It's nicer here.

Yeah, for some reason the F10 is not very popular here... dunno why.
Would love to. Sydney traffic drives me bonkers. Gets worse every year. Why ppl choose to live in this crowded, expensive concrete jungle I will never know. Unfortunately Sydney is where the in-laws are :-(

Took a drive to Young (4 hrs inland) in a 2000 Toyota Avalon. Cannot tell you how much I wished it was my F11.

I guess the lack of popularity is the luxury car tax I am told exists here.

Did you make a decision and order yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I guess some people enjoy this crowded expensive concrete jungle
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
I guess some people enjoy this crowded expensive concrete jungle
;-) I'm just grumpy because I've been spending hours to travel the 25kms from castle hills to balmoral beach with kids in back asking "are we there yet" every 5 minutes.

Used to live here myself and enjoyed it well enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Well there's your problem ... the Castle Hill part.
Appreciate 0