2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Finally! BMW Office (iDrive Email & Text Message) Integration with iPhone on iOS6

09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #45
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
Further further update:

I have worked it out and this is crazy but it works. I have tested this 10 times and it is 100% repeatable.

The start of my test is a locked car and an iPhone with bluetooth on. Unlock car, start car and the iPhone connects to the car via bluetooth.

Go to messages in the iDrive and it shows "No Messages" (expected result).

Send email to iPhone. Banner pops up on iPhone but does not transfer to iDrive.
Send SMS to iPhone. Same result.
Send WhatsApp to iPhone. Same result.

HOWEVER, and this is where it gets weird ...

I go into iPhone notifications for WhatsApp and change the Show Recent Items from 10 to 5. Send another WhatsApp message to the iPhone and it works!

Send an email to the iPhone and it does not appear in iDrive. Go to iPhone notifications for Email, change Show Recent Items from 10 to 5 (or any other value), send another email to iPhone and it works!

Ditto for SMS.

It does not matter what the setting in Show Recent Items is, the act of changing it from any value to any other value is what provokes it into working.

I initially believed that this was a timing issue so I sat in the car for 15 minutes, without messing with anything in Notifications and it still didn't work. However, the instant I changed Show Recent items value for Email, SMS and WhatsApp, it burst into life.

I have spent several hours at this, going through a documented test plan and can now reproduce a working / non working system at will.

In summary, to make this work, you have to do the following:

After you start the car and the iPhone connects via bluetooth, you need to allow the system about 1 minute to become queiscent. The messages display should read "No Messages". You then need to into Settings > Notifications and into each of Messages, Email and WhatsApp (if you have it) and change the Show Recent items to any value other than the current setting. Once you do all this, it will work.

This of course is a monumental pain in the head and not the sort of thing you would do for a quick trip to the local store but would be worthy of doing before a longer journey.

Fundamentally, IOS 6 has bugs (big ones) when it comes to Bluetooth MAP. Hopefully Apple will fix it but holding ones breath is not recommended.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #46
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog View Post
Further further update:

I have worked it out and this is crazy but it works. I have tested this 10 times and it is 100% repeatable.

The start of my test is a locked car and an iPhone with bluetooth on. Unlock car, start car and the iPhone connects to the car via bluetooth.

I go into iPhone notifications for WhatsApp and change the Show Recent Items from 10 to 5. Send another WhatsApp message to the iPhone and it works!

Send an email to the iPhone and it does not appear in iDrive. Go to iPhone notifications for Email, change Show Recent Items from 10 to 5 (or any other value), send another email to iPhone and it works!

Ditto for SMS.

It does not matter what the setting in Show Recent Items is, the act of changing it from any value to any other value is what provokes it into working.

I initially believed that this was a timing issue so I sat in the car for 15 minutes, without messing with anything in Notifications and it still didn't work. However, the instant I changed Show Recent items value for Email, SMS and WhatsApp, it burst into life.

I have spent several hours at this, going through a documented test plan and can now reproduce a working / non working system at will.

After you start the car and the iPhone connects via bluetooth, you need to allow the system about 1 minute to become queiscent. The messages display should read "No Messages". You then need to into Settings > Notifications and into each of Messages, Email and WhatsApp (if you have it) and change the Show Recent items to any value other than the current setting. Once you do all this, it will work.

This of course is a monumental pain in the head and not the sort of thing you would do for a quick trip to the local store but would be worthy of doing before a longer journey.

Fundamentally, IOS 6 has bugs (big ones) when it comes to Bluetooth MAP. Hopefully Apple will fix it but holding ones breath is not recommended.
I think that BMW will have to follow with a software update before this will work correctly.
      09-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #47
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Wait for the GA release that should drop next week. Beta 4 BT MAP is very buggy. Beta 3 was much better.

Last edited by tlp; 09-08-2012 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #48
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Somewhat related to the original topic...

The new Apple Lightning connector required to connect an iPhone 5, to a BMW Media adapter doesn't support iPod out! This is one of my favorite features of BMW apps, and now it is useless if you upgrade to the iPhone 5, or until BMW releases a new cradle.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...ity%3Diphone_5
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #49
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

I downloaded the iOS Golden image this morning and same issue as iOS 6 Beta 4.

You need to change in the Notification menu the number of items you wish to see in order to enable the communication between Car and Phone. Keep in mind that it will still see the email and report them as SMS but at least you can still read them. I know it is not very cool but I got use to change the notification option as I get in the car. Hopefully this will get fix by Apple. I just don't feel like loosing a day and have the car reprogram at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I have no problem getting SMS messages without doing this. It might work for emails and other notifications. I think this is an Apple issue, and I don't think its going to get resolved. I think this is what its going to be, I guess better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #51
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

SMS works no matter what but it's the emails that I was refering too. It used to work on the iOS 6 Beta 3 release
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #52
GIANITALY
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M/MPPK

Garage List
  [0.00]
have the same issue get the text but no email, i have the craddle and it will make the sound in the speakers as the same sound you have in the phone., when you get the text the music stops as the same when you get the phone call. and the small sign of text show up in the screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #53
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog
Further update:

I have email, SMS and Whatsapp messages working with IOS 6 beta 4 and BMW code 3.5.4 on a 2011 F10. Actually, the Whatsapp is very useful indeed.

HOWEVER, it can best be described as unreliable. It works some of them time and then, for no apparent reason, it stops working. There have been no changes to either the phone or the car to provoke a sudden lack of operation.

It seems to be that the settings for notifications for each application is important. The only applications in my notifications center are Phone, Messages, Mail and WhatsApp. Each of these is configured as follows:

Notification center: ON
Show: 10 Unread Items
Alert Style: Alerts
Badge App Icon: ON
Show Preview: ON
View in Lock Screen: ON

If this was stable, I think it would be excellent but its not. I doubt we will see an update before general release (actually I'm certain we won't). So all we can do is hope that (a) they patch this up in the general release or (b) we wait until 6.1.
You can further improve reliability (when it stops working).

Remember, the iPhone is unix based.

Also, power cycling the iPhone will not necessarily fix problems as apps pick up where they left off after reboot.

What you want to do is issue the equivalent of a kill -9 in unix to the offending apps on the iPhone. Push the round button on iPhone once to get out of your current app. Next, double push the same round button (like a mouse double click). This will bring up a row of icons representing all of the apps currently running on the iPhone. Lightly touch the first app in the row of icons at the bottom of your screen. In turn, you will see a red circle with a minus sign appear. Now depress the minus sign. That effectively kills that app from running. Now, keep doing the same thing for all remaining apps.

I have found that the process of killing your apps fixes most problems when the idrive email interface appears not to work. Don't forget to restart your email app after killing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
Bronson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog
Further further update:

Ditto for SMS.

I concur,as it worked for me just now
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #55
CraigMcKBish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 Series waiting for F10

Yes I got mine working with emails too by changing the number of recent items in the phones settings menu. It's obviously a bug between the phone and cars software that I hope is corrected soon.

One point I only had to change mine, not change it then change it back again. If I'm going on a long journey it's not a huge issue just now to set it up, but equally needs to be fixed

I'm currently waiting to find an eta on the iPhone 5 cradle before I decide whether to get an iPhone 5 or not. Also confirmation about iPod out
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
tsandas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW IX50

Replies

Any try to Answer an email or Text with The Dragon software?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #57
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
The final chapter on this, for now.

I now have an iPhone 5 and tested it with email, SMS and Whatsapps. SMS works out of the box without any provocation, which is nice. Email and Whatsapp require a change to the Show Recent Items and then they work.

One other point - if you get a long email, it will be cut off. It only seems to load 10-15 lines of text to the car. This is a bummer, particularly if you get a long email from a lawyer as I did (no such thing as a short email from a lawyer I suppose).

We await IOS 6.1 and hope that Apple will fix these issues.

PS: The iPhone 5 is a fabulous phone!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #58
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

I've a question for those of you who've gotten this to work. I hear you are successfully receiving SMS messages. Are you also receiving texts via the "Messages" app being sent from other iPhones (essentially text messages but sent/received over the internet)?
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #59
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog View Post

So do you have to do this each time you go for a drive, or just once? (I'm guessing each time since you said it's a "pain" but just want to be sure.)
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
I concur,as it worked for me just now
I second this...I got it to work using this method as well.

It is odd that the emails come in with the text msg icon and not the email one..... and the email icon Im referring it to is the envelope icon with the "@" next to it.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #61
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

The integration is very buggy at this point. Apple didn't really address this in their final betas. Apple had other issues to work out and apparently MAP was of very little priority. Hopefully they will address it in future iOS updates, but for now this is what we have.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #62
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

With my 2013 m5 works without needing to"modify" notifications some times if a txt comes in first.... Buggy

Last edited by Niko1414; 09-25-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #63
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
The integration is very buggy at this point. Apple didn't really address this in their final betas. Apple had other issues to work out and apparently MAP was of very little priority. Hopefully they will address it in future iOS updates, but for now this is what we have.
BUGGY, is putting it mildly. My messages come through less than half the time
      09-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #64
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
I second this...I got it to work using this method as well.

It is odd that the emails come in with the text msg icon and not the email one..... and the email icon Im referring it to is the envelope icon with the "@" next to it.
Mine too... that's WHEN they come in of course.
      09-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #65
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

How odd. When I do these steps, when it works, it will show me e-mails, but never text messages...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #66
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

It appears that the 3GS is not supported as far as I can tell. Apples iOS 6 release notes infer that it is in that it mentions exclusions for all other features but no exclusion of the 3GS for the Bluetooth MAP profile. But it certainly does not work and Members a Ford forum find that the 3GS does not work with Ford sync either. Now to decide what to do!
Appreciate 0