2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Transfer Case Replacement

01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
bradysdad
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340ix

Transfer Case Replacement

Hello All. First post to the forum and glad I found you guys. I purchased a new 2011 535GT X-Drive, with 19" sport, camera package, Nav, Comfort Access, Sport Seats, HP stereo with Sat Radio, iPod, Cold Weather, etc... Basically the only thing it doesn't have is the adaptive cruise and heads up display. Love the car so far. It is my 8th Beemer in the past 10 years and when shopping this time around, the GT styling caught my eye.

After 4 months and 12,500 miles I had to have the transfer case replaced. Problem started at 7500 miles with all sorts of warning lights coming on for Diminished Handling/Braking & Traction Control System malfunctions. A stop/start of vehicle cleared problem for anywhere from 500 - 1500 miles. Took to dealer once and they re-calibrated some software and said it was good to go. Same problem reoccurred several times afterwards. Took in last week and they found black transfer case fluid along with metal shavings. BMW shipped out a new transfer case and replaced under warranty.

I also experienced some software bugs with not being able to sense the FOB when in the car, not being able to lock or unlock the car using Comfort Access from the drivers door handle and a Service Overdue reminder coming on indicating I was x thousand miles overdue on my 36000 mile service and oil change. Problem is, the car only has 12000 mile on it.

One of my friends had all sorts of issues with his 2010 550GT to the point BMW did a buy back and put him in a new 5 series sedan.

I love the GT, the 7 series platform and interior, etc.... Are these sorts of problems common with this model since it seems to be a marriage of 7 and 5 series vehicles with a crossover twist.

Thanks all and Happy New Year !!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

I think you have probably just had bad luck.The most common problem I have seen on here is the tyre wear problem (seems to be UK mainly with a specific brand being the main culprit) but speaking personally my 2010 530d GT has behaved faultlessly and I'm delighted with it.
Here's hoping you now have no further problems.
Appreciate 0