2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Hand Car Wash

12-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hand Car Wash

With winter here it's difficult to wash the car at home in the cold weather. Does any one use hand car washes. Have you guys had any issues from using them? Acid on wheels peeling off lacquer, swirl marks etc.

Is there anyway round this, I do tell the chaps at the car wash no acid on wheels but I don't know how to prevent swirl marks.

Also any one know of a decent hand car wash in the leicester area?

Thanks
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

I use a decent foam / pre wash all year round and when it’s really cold, I don’t bother with washing it afterwards as it gets it 95%+ clean, just some water marks really and at this time of year it will be dirtier after 5mins in the road anyway. It works because the cars have a really good layer of decent polish and sealant. That’s my plan for this morning.....

I think I’ll get a decent in line water filter, as that would remove the water mark problem. The automotive ones are a bit expensive, I’ve had a look and trade suppliers to the window cleaning industry have much cheaper options.

Neither car has been to a hand car wash place. I’ve used them in the past but never found one who would get the wheels fully clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
I use a decent foam / pre wash all year round and when it’s really cold, I don’t bother with washing it afterwards as it gets it 95%+ clean, just some water marks really and at this time of year it will be dirtier after 5mins in the road anyway. It works because the cars have a really good layer of decent polish and sealant. That’s my plan for this morning.....

I think I’ll get a decent in line water filter, as that would remove the water mark problem. The automotive ones are a bit expensive, I’ve had a look and trade suppliers to the window cleaning industry have much cheaper options.

Neither car has been to a hand car wash place. I’ve used them in the past but never found one who would get the wheels fully clean.
Hi

I know what you mean regarding water marks. I've got the bmw sealant but didn't apply in time for winter.

I've got the snow foam and the bottle attached to my jet wash but still dislike coming out in the cold especially working with cold water. I seen a jet wash with hot water and that would be great but it was expensive.

I looked into a line water filter and found them a bit expensive as well. If you come across s good offer let me know likewise I'll let you know. My window cleaner has one in his van but his boss bought it so didn't know the price.

Regarding hand car wash places even the ones I've been to don't get the wheels fully clean especially on the inside.they just to the outer rim nice and shiny so everyone thinks their car is so clean.

Thanks
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I use this and it's excellent.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaz...ashing-filter/

You only need to do a final rinse with it so it lasts a very long time.

With regard to "hot water pressure-washers", I just fasten mine to the hot water tap. You may want to turn the thermostat down on your hot water system before doing this though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I use this and it's excellent.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaz...ashing-filter/

You only need to do a final rinse with it so it lasts a very long time.

With regard to "hot water pressure-washers", I just fasten mine to the hot water tap. You may want to turn the thermostat down on your hot water system before doing this though.
That's a good one I never thought of the hot water tap. Especially in the winter!
Appreciate 0