2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes bought Michelin Pilot Super Sport

04-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

bought Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I am going to pick up Michelin Pilot Super Sport (245x40x19) in a couple of days and will let you guys know how they work out.

Last edited by O.S.; 04-13-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

You got them locally ? If so, what shop ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

no, I got them at tirerack and had them shipped to an installer (Kendzia Auto Service) in Niagara Falls.
I figured it is way less expensive to do that and pay the duties than buy in Canada.
Installation is also less expensive in US and I used that shop before with great success.
I do this with most tires I buy. usually save 30-80% compared to buying them locally.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Dez550
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i X Drive, 01 Z8

Would like to know what you think of the Pilot Super Sports. I assume they are not run flats. I am considering the same thing for my 2011 550ix M Sport. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Oh yeah, you bet they are not run flats. They are replacing the GY LS2 RFTs with 1000 miles on them. Ordered the michelin pss the week i bought the car. Tirerack just got them in stock and shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez550 View Post
Would like to know what you think of the Pilot Super Sports. I assume they are not run flats. I am considering the same thing for my 2011 550ix M Sport. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
jblumel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I bought these for my 535ix and they feel great.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumel View Post
I bought these for my 535ix and they feel great.
- can't wait till I get mine installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
ICIC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

really want to know the diff compare to PS2?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Please update us on the difference between the factory installed RFTs and the Michelin Super Sport tires.. Also looking to switch.. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Alright here are my impressions so far

Compared to GY LS2
Michelin PSS is noisier. On all surfaces. Similar to other max performance tires. It is loudest on concrete ot HWY speeds. I had to turn up the volume on my stereo. GY LS2 were dead quiet. But having said that the tires are not loud just very noticable compared to LS2.

Michelins took the edge off all the road imperfections. They dont seem as sharp when you go over.

Car feels less like a cadilac and more like a bmw. Much more crisp, solid, together feeling. I can feel the suspension working in turns rather than just rubbery mushy response i got with LS2 where you just not sure what is failing tge tires or suspension.

No more understeer. Muchelins just bite into the road and get you into a turn.

VERY smooth transitions at and over the traction limits. The first time i experienced that when going at a stupid speed into a ramp off a highway. It was raining and my tail started to go around me on a downward ramp. Just letting off the accelerator and correcting with the steering wheel fixed the problem but what i noticed then how smooth the loss and regaining of traction was. ALL other tires on all ohwr cars were jerky especially ar the moment of regaining stability. Michelin Pilot Sport (original ones) being the worst.
So Pilot Suprt Sports are Very easy tires to control at and over the limits of traction.

Breaking on wet - amazing. The best i ever experienced in a tire.

The bad - i want to upgrade the suspension now. You almost feel the suspensions gives out before the tires do when driving at the limits.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Dez550
Rep

Smile Michelin PSS

Thanks O.S. for your review of the PSS. I will be having them installed on my 550ix MSport this Friday by the dealer. June 2011 issue of Bimmer magazine really ripped the 550i and its lousy suspension. More kudos, however, for the 535. I hope I experience the same Michelin feel that you reported on as I really dislike the GY LS2 originals. Mine have only 1000 miles as well. Agree a suspension upgrade would help a lot. Any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Dez550, you might want to search this forum for the following h&r, RD suspension and KWV3. There are a few members that have these after market springs/coil overs installed already. They have also commented on their experiences with these products. I have ordered the H&R springs for my car (535i) since I thought it represented middle ground in drop, price, overall satisfaction. But you can look up the threads and judge for yourself. Good luck.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Dez550
Rep

Dr.MBA, I ordered and received the RD Sport Springs for my 550 X Drive from Racing Dynamics. These sport springs, although pricy, were built specifically for the X
drive with Adaptive Drive. Will be installed in early July
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
EL MEJOR
ALLDAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S. View Post
Compared to GY LS2
Michelin PSS is noisier. On all surfaces. Similar to other max performance tires. It is loudest on concrete ot HWY speeds. I had to turn up the volume on my stereo. GY LS2 were dead quiet. But having said that the tires are not loud just very noticable compared to LS2.
Wow forreal? It's that loud you had to raise the stereo? BMW have always been super quiet. But I've only driven them always with oem tires and rims. I want to put other tires and am really considering MSS but your review is a drawback to me. I drove a 3er with pirelli rft and quiet as hell so I'm wondering if pirelli non rft will be quieter than MSS. my main concer is quietness. Help...?
      06-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
jlgwu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC X-Drive M Sport

In addition to the H&R, RD & KWV3, one should also consider AC Schnitzer. This is the route I decided to take. I just received my springs and will be installing them this Sat. There are a few posts on this site on the ACS springs as well. It doesn't drop the car as much as the H&R but I didn't want to drop the car that much as I don't like the super low look. Am just looking for a moderate drop and the ACS's drop of 25mm is perfect. ACS is one of the biggest BMW tuners and others have said the springs make the car handle incredible. Just read the other posts.

I plan to continue using the stock M-Sport rims. However, I went with the Conti Extreme Contact DW's. I love them. IMO, they are quiet, comfy, handle great dry and in the rain. Perhaps the response may not be as good as the PSS but really good IMO. I'm happy with them and they feel way better than stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgwu View Post
In addition to the H&R, RD & KWV3, one should also consider AC Schnitzer. This is the route I decided to take. I just received my springs and will be installing them this Sat. There are a few posts on this site on the ACS springs as well. It doesn't drop the car as much as the H&R but I didn't want to drop the car that much as I don't like the super low look. Am just looking for a moderate drop and the ACS's drop of 25mm is perfect. ACS is one of the biggest BMW tuners and others have said the springs make the car handle incredible. Just read the other posts.

I plan to continue using the stock M-Sport rims. However, I went with the Conti Extreme Contact DW's. I love them. IMO, they are quiet, comfy, handle great dry and in the rain. Perhaps the response may not be as good as the PSS but really good IMO. I'm happy with them and they feel way better than stock tires.
I wanted to try the Continental DW's, but they didn't have the rear size for my upgraded 20" wheels --- 285/30/20. They only have 275/30/20, so I went with Michelin PS2's. They're great tires, but on the highway, they tend to have sort of a drone noise. I wish they were as quiet as my Michelin Primacy HP run flats, but the PS2's are much softer over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez550 View Post
Dr.MBA, I ordered and received the RD Sport Springs for my 550 X Drive from Racing Dynamics. These sport springs, although pricy, were built specifically for the X
drive with Adaptive Drive. Will be installed in early July
Any update on your springs?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

O.S. thanks for the review.

I have an ACS suspension but still using the rft PS2's from the factory. Have been playing with the thought of going with a non RFT, more specifically the Super Sport (PS2's successor). If you get a chance would like to hear your impressions 4 months later and if you are still experiencing the Joys of the tire change.
      08-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

If I may give some insight of my recent change over to Michelin PSS (no change in the suspension components at all) ....

Almost 2 weeks and about 1000km on the clock since, overall tire performance is much better in terms of grip and cornering performance but the tradeoff comes in the form of elevated road noise, in particular on concrete pavement on highway, traveling at or above 120km/hr (as I agree to OP's finding). However, if the highway pavement is asphalt, then the road noise is not so bad at all, it would be almost the same as the GY LS2 RF. If those PSS tires are traveling on local traffic, then there is no noticeable elevated road noise, no matter concrete or asphalt pavement. I set those PSS tire pressure at 36 at all four corners.

btw, the tire shop did tell me those PSS will take anywhere between 500km - 1000km to break in.

Last edited by bobblehead; 08-07-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Nice, thanks for the info. I think I run my PS2's at 43psi per BMW here in Germany at speeds consistently over 160kmh.

Because I have the AC Schintser exhaust system, I doubt I will hear the road noise since its rumble pleasantly drowns out anything else.

I am seriously contemplating this tire change since I believe my yield could potentially be even greater then what is posted here since I do have the ACS suspension.

Curious if anyone has the PSS with suspension upgrade?
      08-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

I'm thinking it may be my Michelin PSS but could be something else -- I hear an increase in noise, maybe more of a whine from about 82-84 MPH (132-135kph), below or above it is quieter. Anyone else??

These are 245/40-19 on 351M wheels. No exterior appendages from stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
O.S. thanks for the review.

I have an ACS suspension but still using the rft PS2's from the factory. Have been playing with the thought of going with a non RFT, more specifically the Super Sport (PS2's successor). If you get a chance would like to hear your impressions 4 months later and if you are still experiencing the Joys of the tire change.
10 thousand kilometers on my PSS.
My first impressions were right.
A couple of things to note
The noise - got used to it since it is not very loud and i dont notice it anymore.
The grip - amazing. I keep looking at the tires half expecting them to get worn down after every spirited drive. They are so grippy and smooth you almost feel how soft the rubber should be and so far no pronounced signs of wear that i can see.
Still want to change the springs. AC or some other, not h
Appreciate 0