2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Loud Grinding noise from Electronic steering.

09-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
blkhwkcc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528I M Sport

Garage List
Loud Grinding noise from Electronic steering.

Hey guys need your help..

was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this noise.

2013 BMW 528i sport. RWD (aka not xdrive)

I read on the forums sometimes this is caused by loose bolts. All bolts torqued and I already replaced the Steering Rack and used the Original motor. Hoping it would fix it but it didnt.

The Noise only happens when there is weight on the wheels.

Sounds to me like the motor is either slipping on the belt, or just has given up lol.

Before I drop the money on a new motor and do all the recoding to the car and all I wanted to check with the masses..

Thanks in advance,,,,

Matt

https://youtube.com/shorts/wsHfje0fMLo?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 01:57 AM   #2
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhwkcc View Post
Hey guys need your help..

was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this noise.

2013 BMW 528i sport. RWD (aka not xdrive)

I read on the forums sometimes this is caused by loose bolts. All bolts torqued and I already replaced the Steering Rack and used the Original motor. Hoping it would fix it but it didnt.

The Noise only happens when there is weight on the wheels.

Sounds to me like the motor is either slipping on the belt, or just has given up lol.

Before I drop the money on a new motor and do all the recoding to the car and all I wanted to check with the masses..

Thanks in advance,,,,

Matt

https://youtube.com/shorts/wsHfje0fMLo?feature=share
I had a similar noise, last weekend I replaced all of my front lower control arms and sway bar links.

You could also go the route of replacing the Ball Joints, PowerFlex has a set of street/race ball joints you could use, FCP sells the tool for installing them as well.

Along with that noise I had a metal scratching sound almost, both sounds are completely gone now. If you're going to do one side then you might as well do the other, right? Good luck.

(2) Front Sway Bar Links
(2) Front Rearward Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints
(2) Front Forward Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #3
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

I had a similar issue when the motor was removed and not reinstalled properly. There is a specific process for reinstalling the motor that if it's not followed the belt won't sit correctly. I ended up buying a whole new rack and motor since I couldn't get it to sit properly
Appreciate 0