2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dynamic Handling Package - Worth It?
View Poll Results: Dynamic Handeling Package - Worth It? $4900
Yes - I am the master, Comfort,Normal,Sport,Sport+ 44 65.67%
No - Rarely going to use, probably land me at the service department eating free scones 23 34.33%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

07-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
Chickster
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i and 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
It's posts like this one that make me nervous.

My wife's 550i is at Bremmerhaven waiting for the next ship and the clock is ticking away on the E60 M5 lease. Although we were very comfortable with the idea of letting the E60 go and my wife is in love with the F10 I'm really starting to have second thoughts.

The buyout deal on the E60 is insanely good and I wonder if 6 months down the road we'll kick ourselves for letting it go. It's been a phenomenally reliable and fun car...

On the other hand this will be her car and decision so I have to respect her choice.

Ugghh....
Keep your E60.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I have had my new fully loaded 550i for 3 days driving on the Autobahn after doing BMW European Delivery. It is a fine car except it is not up to past BMW standards. IMO the review is unfortunately very accurate. The design is bland and very conservative. My 08 550 looks more advanced than the F10. The car clearly does not handle as well as my E60 with the M-Sport Package. The F10 does not feel taunt and athletic in terms of handling and ride. The steering is bit mushy for my taste. It is a very comfortable car. IMO opinion it is more comfortable than the E-Class. I buy BMW's for performance not comfort. It is not taunt and fun to drive like my previous 3 5 Series cars. It is not rock solid and quiet at high speed on the Autobahn. With the Dynamic Handling Package I have no idea why BMW include a Comfort setting. The car wallows like a boat in a lake when in the Comfort Mode. It just sways all over the place. It is obscene to have that goofy setting on a BMW. I admire BMW as a company and they have always treated me well so I will tolerate my new 550i although I can't help but be disappointed. I am sure that the car will sell well because it now has more mass appeal. Unfortunately it is now a comfortable, bland car in terms of driving and design. It does not have the sporty, taunt feel that I have enjoyed so much with my prior 3 5 Series BMW's.
If you are so unhappy with the car, then why don't you ask for your money back?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
If you are so unhappy with the car, then why don't you ask for your money back?
I appreciate pharding for giving his sincere views about the F10. How can one ask for money back in such circumstances? Please be constructive.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I appreciate pharding for giving his sincere views about the F10. How can one ask for money back in such circumstances? Please be constructive.
If he doesn't like the car any more, just get rid of it. Simple as that.

Anyway, I'm sick and tired of this futile resistance.

"The F10 is too heavy".

-It's based on the 7-series, of course it was going to be heavier compared to the E60. Besides, the F10 has a 5-star EuroNCAP safety rating, unlike the E60's rather disappointing 4-star rating, which means the extra weight pays off for the F10 being the safest car in its class.

"The F10 has gone soft".

-I hear this BS since when BMW introduced the E36. Every new BMW is "soft" compared to the old one. The E39 was considered soft compared to the E34, the E60 was considered soft compared to the E34 and now obviously the F10 has got to be soft compared to the E60 and of course the next generation will be soft compared to the F10.

"The F10 looks bland".

-Looks are subjective. Personally I think the F10 looks much better proportioned than the E60. While it took me a while to warm the look of the E60, the F10 was instant love at first sight just like the E39. But like the E60, the F10 is not everyone's cup of tea, either. And like the E60, which was a major departure compared to the E39, the F10 is a major departure compared to the radical E60. The F10 harks back to the days of the E39 and that is a good thing IMO.

There I said it.

Last edited by TonyMeister; 07-18-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
I think the thing to remember about this car and almost anything in life really, is that it's all relative. OK, so say you drove the F10 and didn't really like it, you still need to buy a car today, and can't wait an eternity for the perfect car to be made. What do you buy?
I have issues with FWD cars, so all of those are out, which effectively leaves you with a small pool of choices. What does 60k buy you in terms of RWD/AWD luxury, performance midsize sedan?

Mercedes E 350 - Weak engine, odd styling, 60k and no leather?
Audi A6 - New model on the horizon. Probably my second choice.
Acura RL - Acura needs to fire everyone on their exterior design teams. You make cars, not Intergallatic space crusiers.
Jaguar XF - Hmm, bankrupt more times then Larry King has ex-wives, sold to Ford, sold to Tata.
Infiniti M - I like the way these look, maybe my 3rd choice
Lexus GS - Surprised at all the quality issues people have mentioned on these. Way too soft for my taste.

When I look at the 535i in relation to these other cars, the decision was pretty easy. The car is not perfect by any means, but IMO it's the best combination of luxury/performance/style/efficiency/utility.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:

"The F10 is too heavy".

-It's based on the 7-series, of course it was going to be heavier compared to the E60. Besides, the F10 has a 5-star EuroNCAP safety rating, unlike the E60's rather disappointing 4-star rating, which means the extra weight pays off for the F10 being the safest car in its class.

"The F10 has gone soft".

-I hear this BS since when BMW introduced the E36. Every new BMW is "soft" compared to the old one. The E39 was considered soft compared to the E34, the E60 was considered soft compared to the E34 and now obviously the F10 has got to be soft compared to the E60 and of course the next generation will be soft compared to the F10.

"The F10 looks bland".

-Looks are subjective. Personally I think the F10 looks much better proportioned than the E60. While it took me a while to warm the look of the E60, the F10 was instant love at first sight just like the E39. But like the E60, the F10 is not everyone's cup of tea, either. And like the E60, which was a major departure compared to the E39, the F10 is a major departure compared to the radical E60. The F10 harks back to the days of the E39 and that is a good thing IMO.

There I said it.
I agree The F10 is heavy but the engine, balance and performance more than makes up for it. I find it ridiculous that there are forummers (not necessarily from this board) who insist repeatedly that it is bland as if they have a duty to convince others. If its bland to whoever, then don't buy it. I avoided the E60 cos I dislike its looks and am looking forward to my F10 535i in a month or two.

For pharding however, his views are sincere as he test drove it and found it great, bought it and has been driving it. I'm curious why the change of opinion and his views may be helpful for some who are contemplating to buy it. I've learnt from this board about F10's options and am grateful as it helped me to decide what to order for my F10

Last edited by bm323; 07-18-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

It is still a fine car in spite of my earlier concerns. It is just different than my 08 550 M-Sport in terms of handling and feel. It has many other virtues. I will adjust and be fine with it for 3 years until my lease is up. I am going to work with my dealership when the car shows up stateside and see if it can tweaked to suit my taste thought the internal computer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #30
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
If he doesn't like the car any more, just get rid of it. Simple as that.

"The F10 is too heavy".

"The F10 has gone soft".

"The F10 looks bland".

There I said it.
My 2cents on the new f10.
I think bmw has gone SOFT on this one.

I really love the new interior. Love the new color combo. The exterior looks great, not as aggressive as the e60. However, I like it a lot. I drove one and with all the bell and whistles it's great. If you chose to get a car without the much needed options like dynamic handling, prem 2 pkg then the car just is very bla. I am passionate about my car and like to drive my car. If I wasn't then i would be on a lexus forum. I found the handling of the f10 a bit too soft for me. For a car costing 55k - 70k I would demand a little more. This is how I felt after the drive, it was a very nice car but just not as special. That does not mean that I will not get one, it just means I am not in a rush to get one. The option list is great and i think i could get used to it. I like the hardcore performance as well (that's why I am keeping an eye for e36 m3) With all said and done, congrats to all who got the new f10.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Has anyone driven a F10 with the dynamic handling option and one without it, thoughts? Looking for someone that has driving both. I'm looking at a used 2011 550, that has the sport package but its missing the dynamic handling option. Not sure why someone would order that, but its there. Its a great price, but i'm not sure I could live without the dynamic handling option. I drove a 535 with it and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
Has anyone driven a F10 with the dynamic handling option and one without it, thoughts? Looking for someone that has driving both. I'm looking at a used 2011 550, that has the sport package but its missing the dynamic handling option. Not sure why someone would order that, but its there. Its a great price, but i'm not sure I could live without the dynamic handling option. I drove a 535 with it and loved it.
This thread may help you:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416668