2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications FTP Motorsports Hot Side Chargepipe // Turbo outlet.

05-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

FTP Motorsports Hot Side Chargepipe // Turbo outlet.

Just a quick one covering the install of the FTP Motorsports Hot Side Chargepipe, or turbo outlet that goes between the turbo and the intercooler.

The factory part is hugely restrictive at the turbo outlet, and opens up a bit before dumping into an accordion tube.

The FTP pipe is impressively precise in its fit, especially considering it as $180 shipped coming from Taiwan in 2 days.

Factory on top, FTP on bottom:

Factory on left, FTP on right:

Factory clamps and lip seals swapped over to the FTP flanges:

With both pipes clicked into thier respective ends an the silicone coupler backed up onto the longer pipe we can see they line up stunningly perfect to one another, with a small 1/4" gap between the two. I coated the coupler with silicone spray lube before slipping it on so it easily slid down to split the gap and clamped down with the included clamps. The coupler is wide enough that you could use a tbolt clamp on either side if you needed too, but the bead rolled lip is pronounced enough I don't think it would be required.

The only parts that needed to be removed for access to carry out the job was the primary engine undertray, and taking the water pump loose. I did not remove the waterpump or open the cooling system, just unbolt it from the engine so I could move it around a little.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Nice comparison. I was wondering about that brand. I saw this link on eBay for the set https://www.ebay.com/itm/152222543626

That stock piece does reduce a lot on the connection to the fmic. I've always wondered why they created an accordion style connection. Do you think it has something to do with turbulence?

Also notice or feel any difference?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

I didn't notice any butt dyno gains, there is a little more turbo noise to be heard though without a doubt which makes sense. Solid alloy pipe is going to resonate rushing air more than thermo plastic and rubber.

I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the factory pipe, which is even more restriction when the inner section of the tube meets the turbo flange. The ID of the tube is way less than the flange, and its mounted off center... and BMW just filled the gap with a plastic ledge. Why BMW would have made it this way is beyond me, the larger unit fits without compromise.

Ease and expense of manufacturing is now doubt why BMW did what it did. That and and long term durability. The factory part would deal with aging engine mount movement much better I'd think.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

these look like some pretty nice upgrades! the link you listed Bmw doubles the same thing Stuck ordered but with the CP?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
these look like some pretty nice upgrades! the link you listed Bmw doubles the same thing Stuck ordered but with the CP?
Yeah it's for both
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Looks good, sounds like awesome deal unheard 2day shipping form Taiwan
Nice work
      05-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

A look into the stock outlet, and how many times it steps down to the small offset pipe.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
This seems to be a sensible upgrade if you're boosted, and have a larger FMIC that has more volume to fill.

Great review @Stuck thanks for that.

Appreciate 0