2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Shifter Swap

03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Shifter Swap

I would like to swap the stock, non-Sport Auto Transmission shifter in my car for the one that comes with the SAT package. I like the look of the gaiter as well as the shape of the shifter knob. Unfortunately when I bought my car, it did not have the SAT so I am also missing out on the paddles....but that's another kettle of fish.

Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? I've got instructions on how to access the base of the shifter here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524672

I've done this type of thing before and dismantling the center console to perform it does not phase me. My issue is wondering if the parts will simply swap out. I would think it should, as I'm sure the wiring harness is all the same, etc.

Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have a preferred parts supplier that could source the knob for me? I'm sure if I show up at my local parts counter they'd look at me like I had 6 heads. Are BMW parts searches VIN specific? I know they were with my Volvo...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Wow, no interest whatsoever? I guess everyone here ordered what they wanted...

Could use a good parts source..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
BimmerUKF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Ah! All is clear now! I'm almost jealous that I have the shifter. Would have given me an excuse to take it to bits again
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I would like to swap the stock, non-Sport Auto Transmission shifter in my car for the one that comes with the SAT package. I like the look of the gaiter as well as the shape of the shifter knob. Unfortunately when I bought my car, it did not have the SAT so I am also missing out on the paddles....but that's another kettle of fish.

Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? I've got instructions on how to access the base of the shifter here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524672

I've done this type of thing before and dismantling the center console to perform it does not phase me. My issue is wondering if the parts will simply swap out. I would think it should, as I'm sure the wiring harness is all the same, etc.

Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have a preferred parts supplier that could source the knob for me? I'm sure if I show up at my local parts counter they'd look at me like I had 6 heads. Are BMW parts searches VIN specific? I know they were with my Volvo...

Thanks!

Hi was wondering if you had this done? Im very interested in doing this also,Can you please let me know the details,Thanks!
Appreciate 0