2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum my new 535d detailing process

09-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
bozkj
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535d

my new 535d detailing process

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just purchased my first bmw in August. Really wanted a diesel and went back and forth between the e250 before finally going with the 535d after months of deliberation.

It's been 12 years since purchasing a new car so I started researching this forum for detailing advice. My experience is best summed up as, "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know” - Einstein. I had no idea how much goes in to prepping and keeping the exterior of a car looking flawless. New found respect for all those detail shops out there that do it right.

I'm thankful for great resources like this forum and leaned heavily on two sources, highly recommended for those prepping a new or lightly used new car.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ight=detailing
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ocess-bmw-550/

Here are my steps, I'll post before & after pictures soon:
1. Cleaned the wheels & tires: rinsed, sprayed with degreaser, brushed then rinsed again (Meguiar's D10801, EZ Detail Brush, Mothers Wheel Brush). Did each wheel individually until all complete.
2. Sprayed degreaser on lower areas of car and select spots.
3. "Snow Foamed" the car (Foam Lance, Chemical Guys CWS_110).
4. Let it sit for a bit, then rinsed.
5. Two bucket wash (Chemical Guys CWS_301, grit guard, microfiber wash mitt). Dry car with blower.
6. Remove iron (Carpro Iron X). Spray on Iron X, rinse, dry then repeat.
7. Clay entire car (Meguiar's G1016).
8. Polish (Menzerna Micro Polish SF 4500 with Lake Country black finishing pad).
9. Clean paint (Chemical Guys Extreme EZ-Creme Glaze).
10. Protect (BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection).
11. Wax (BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax) two coats.

I did all this over two days. The first 6 steps went fairly quick, under two hours. Steps 7 - 11 took about ten hours. May have taken me a bit longer than most given I'm a newbie and it was hot outside (even though I was out of the sun, was sweating a lot).

This is not for the faint of heart, it's a lot of work. It's worth paying a reputable detailer, I didn't have the option in my area.
Attached Images

Last edited by bozkj; 09-16-2014 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Uploaded photos
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Please post pics when complete - you're right, it's many, many hours of work.

I'm going in the opposite direction by looking at waterless wash and wax for very quick maintenance washes for my cars. Trying out Chemical Guys' EcoSmart Wash and Wax... we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I usually use 8-14 hours on a car, depending on how bad it is.

Day one is usually just wash and getting the contaminants out of the paint, then let it sit over night to dry.
Looking through your list it is pretty much same as mine, but I use different products.
I use Bilt hamber for de-grease and iron remover and Swissvax for polishing.
I have heard that many think Iron-x really stinks, so I use bilt hamber korrosol, smells like bubble gum

I used about 10 hours on my F11 when I got it.
thread is here if you are interested.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005257

oh, and put up some pictures when you are done
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
I usually use 8-14 hours on a car, depending on how bad it is.

Day one is usually just wash and getting the contaminants out of the paint, then let it sit over night to dry.
Looking through your list it is pretty much same as mine, but I use different products.
I use Bilt hamber for de-grease and iron remover and Swissvax for polishing.
I have heard that many think Iron-x really stinks, so I use bilt hamber korrosol, smells like bubble gum

I used about 10 hours on my F11 when I got it.
thread is here if you are interested.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005257

oh, and put up some pictures when you are done
Yes, it really stinks, I'm getting korrosol next time.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
bozkj
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535d

Posted the pics, I think it's tough to tell a big difference via pictures before & after. But there's definitely a big improvement seeing it live, and the finish is super smooth. While silver supposedly looks better when slightly dirty, I'm not sure it provides the same pop after detailing as darker colors.

For iron remover, Iron X is def smelly. Couldn't find another recommended option when I was ordering all my supplies though. Aside from the smell, I was amazed how well it worked. Had it not been for all the purple spots that appeared after spraying it on the car, I would have never believed there was that much iron still on the finish - wow.

Noggie - thanks for the post. I read through your very thorough thread before starting on my 535d! All the photos and instructions really helped.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozkj View Post
Posted the pics, I think it's tough to tell a big difference via pictures before & after. But there's definitely a big improvement seeing it live, and the finish is super smooth. While silver supposedly looks better when slightly dirty, I'm not sure it provides the same pop after detailing as darker colors.

For iron remover, Iron X is def smelly. Couldn't find another recommended option when I was ordering all my supplies though. Aside from the smell, I was amazed how well it worked. Had it not been for all the purple spots that appeared after spraying it on the car, I would have never believed there was that much iron still on the finish - wow.

Noggie - thanks for the post. I read through your very thorough thread before starting on my 535d! All the photos and instructions really helped.
Thanks, always good to be able to help a fellow car nut
It is hard to see the before and after effect on pictures, that is why I usually do the 50/50 shots to be able to properly show the result.

This is a friends black Audi I did two weeks ago, The car looked black. and nice when I got it, but after a good treatment it really popped. Good thing as it will be used as a wedding car this weekend

This photo is not edited, straight off my iPhone.
Appreciate 0