2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Punctures on Run Flats

08-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
eggy41
Rep
Drives: VW UP! F11 520d M Sport

Punctures on Run Flats

Just had to replace a front and a rear Goodyear 245's on my 520d estate, egg shaped bulges in the sidewall apparently caused by hitting potholes (I have hit some big ones and hard)
Car is on 19's, just wondered if this was a run flat issue or a wheel size issue or a combination of both. 8000 miles on the car, I'm pretty hacked off at having to spend that money to be honest (I'll investigate what I can do with the council) but I was going to wait until the tyres needed changing and move off run flats, just wondered if the stiffer sidewalls contributed to tyre deformation ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Run flat tyres are the work of the devil
They should only be put on wheelbarrows !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
eggy41
Rep

Quite, not sure I'm seeing the upside over a can of foam at the moment !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy41 View Post
Just had to replace a front and a rear Goodyear 245's on my 520d estate, egg shaped bulges in the sidewall apparently caused by hitting potholes (I have hit some big ones and hard)
Car is on 19's, just wondered if this was a run flat issue or a wheel size issue or a combination of both. 8000 miles on the car, I'm pretty hacked off at having to spend that money to be honest (I'll investigate what I can do with the council) but I was going to wait until the tyres needed changing and move off run flats, just wondered if the stiffer sidewalls contributed to tyre deformation ?
Probably both factors. Low profiles are much more prone to tyre pinching due to road impacts, many non run-flats would be completely blown out, in the same impact, so the fact you have the ability to drive on could be viewed as an advantage.

It is definitely not just an RFT issue, although the RFT can have this delaminating issue that produces the bulges. The real issue is party our obsession with big rims and low profile tyres. Fit a 17" wheel (even with a RFT) and it would be a lot more 'bouncy' and absorbing over impacts.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy41 View Post
... just wondered if the stiffer sidewalls contributed to tyre deformation ?
I can't say for sure, however I had exactly the same problem, but only after hitting several potholes over a couple of years (245/45/18's Dunlop SP RFTs).

I just had them replaced with Michelin 245/40/18's, and would recommend them to anyone over the stock Dunlops... MUCH quieter and positive steering experience, now I can really chuck it into the turns with confidence... and I don't feel the bumps...

But to answer, I would continue with RFT's regardless, as I have no spare...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
eggy41
Rep

Thanks for the replies, to add insult to injury I've had the front passengers door scrapped while parked over here in Italy ! No sign of a note, part of the deal here, every car has a bang on it
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

I just had them replaced with Michelin 245/40/18's, and would recommend them to anyone over the stock Dunlops... MUCH quieter and positive steering experience, now I can really chuck it into the turns with confidence... and I don't feel the bumps...

Could you tell me which model of Michelins?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post

Could you tell me which model of Michelins?

Thanks
This type.... you won't regret it; will replace the back ones too in the coming months (275/40/18") to get rid of that lead feeling over bumps.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure

Category: High Performance TyresTyre Type:RFT

Features

• Runflat version of the Michelin Pilot Sport 2.
  • Boasts improved steering response and resistance to distortion.
  • Excellent grip levels and braking performance.
  • Enhanced ride quality and comfort.
  • High-speed durability.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

I have the same tyre (Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP) albeit in a different size on my 330 Coupe....

... and I agree that these are far better than the original stock Goodyear Potenza that were fitted by BMW.

I would recommend these without any doubt.

There is another tyre out by Michelin (Pilot Sport range - called the All Season 3 or the A/S3), It is manufactured in both Run Flats and Non Run Flat in many sizes.

I have not been able to find it in the UK, but then I have not looked hard enough as I have only recently replaced mine.

However, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is earning some real rave reviews, it is performing better than some competition's summer tyres. And although, the UK (except a few parts) does not get major snow; if one can have an All/Season that is as good as a summer tyre... then why not?

Some helpful links below...

1. BMW Blog link
2. Top Speed Review
3. Just search Google for more...