2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 keyless problem

01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
Carbonschwartz
Rep
Drives: F11 520d SE

I remember reading this thread last year, and thinking how wacky it was. Today, i experienced it in what could have been quite a catastrophic way. Arrived at a very busy and noisy Sainsburys petrol station early this morning. Pulled up to the pump, got out of car in a slight daze, filled her up with diesel and went inside to pay. Got back in to the car to find the blowers on and my heated seat on. Only then did i see the revs idling. Unbelievably, id managed to fill the car up without having switched the engine off. Still cant believe it now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

I do aplogise but, how the hell can you forget to turn the engine off? The N55 and N57's are quiet, yes, but not that quiet! Surely you can hear it? The rev counter must also show idle and the car just tiny vibrations. Even in the loudest conditions, I struggle to see how you can leave it running, lock it and walk away. Surely the iDrive screen is still on as you get oit and lock it? Again, I apologise, but how the bloody hell can that happen?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #47
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
I do aplogise but, how the hell can you forget to turn the engine off? The N55 and N57's are quiet, yes, but not that quiet! Surely you can hear it? The rev counter must also show idle and the car just tiny vibrations. Even in the loudest conditions, I struggle to see how you can leave it running, lock it and walk away. Surely the iDrive screen is still on as you get oit and lock it? Again, I apologise, but how the bloody hell can that happen?
It will happen to you, sure as eggs are eggs, and you'll come back to car and think how the f**k did I do that....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonschwartz View Post
I remember reading this thread last year, and thinking how wacky it was. Today, i experienced it in what could have been quite a catastrophic way. Arrived at a very busy and noisy Sainsburys petrol station early this morning. Pulled up to the pump, got out of car in a slight daze, filled her up with diesel and went inside to pay. Got back in to the car to find the blowers on and my heated seat on. Only then did i see the revs idling. Unbelievably, id managed to fill the car up without having switched the engine off. Still cant believe it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
It all depends on how noisy the immediate vicinity is and how many other issues you have on your mind, any of which could provide sufficient distraction.
I don't know how quiet the 520d is but I'm often in a situation where I cannot hear my 535d idling and, whilst I haven't yet unwittingly left the car with the engine running, I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility. To err is human..., but, of course, there will always be those who place themselves beyond such Earthly limitations
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #49
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonschwartz View Post
Quote:
It all depends on how noisy the immediate vicinity is and how many other issues you have on your mind, any of which could provide sufficient distraction.
I don't know how quiet the 520d is but I'm often in a situation where I cannot hear my 535d idling and, whilst I haven't yet unwittingly left the car with the engine running, I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility. To err is human..., but, of course, there will always be those who place themselves beyond such Earthly limitations
We've tested a 520d and I can assure you that you must be hard of hearing if you forget to turn that off! Having the older 245hp 30d in the E90, I can't comment on the 530d. Even though I think its ridiculous you can do this, I do agree that BMW should take action with a cut-off system.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #50
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
We've tested a 520d and I can assure you that you must be hard of hearing if you forget to turn that off...
If you take the trouble to re-read my post you might be able to note that I said "I don't know how quiet a 520d is". To clarify, this means I have no experience of it and cannot, therefore, assess my hearing as per your benchmark.
The reference I made was to the quietness of my 6 cyl 535d and I reiterate that in conditions where there is a lot of extraneous noise, I sometimes cannot hear the engine idling.
That's not a complaint, more a degree of understanding as to how it could happen to someone who might have less than perfect hearing or perhaps find themselves refuelling near a busy airport.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #51
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If you take the trouble to re-read my post you might be able to note that I said "I don't know how quiet a 520d is". .
Responding to this and the thread... I can vouch for the quietness of the 520d also (when engine is warm)... normally only way I can tell it is on is by looking at the rev counter.... I am sure it is not as refined as the bigger engines, but very quiet all the same when idling.

As for the thread, had my first experience at the garage this week, stopped to get some milk and left the family in the car with engine on. Got back and family cr@pped all over me for leaving me with all the warnings and beepings**... evidently the car threw it's toys out of the cot when the key fob was out of range ; not much use if you are already OUT of the car when it warns you is my point.

**I keep keys in my pocket so the attached house-keys don't clatter in the cup tray...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #52
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Responding to this and the thread... I can vouch for the quietness of the 520d also (when engine is warm)... normally only way I can tell it is on is by looking at the rev counter.... I am sure it is not as refined as the bigger engines, but very quiet all the same when idling.

As for the thread, had my first experience at the garage this week, stopped to get some milk and left the family in the car with engine on. Got back and family cr@pped all over me for leaving me with all the warnings and beepings**... evidently the car threw it's toys out of the cot when the key fob was out of range ; not much use if you are already OUT of the car when it warns you is my point.

**I keep keys in my pocket so the attached house-keys don't clatter in the cup tray...
I too keep the key in my pocket; one of the many features I like about the system.
Should you forget to switch off again, you can preclude a repeat of your passengers giving you grief for such irresponsible behaviour by doing one of the following: 1. crank up the radio volume or, 2. just tell them to press the iDrive controller - it cancels all the bongs and lights and gives them something to do while they're waiting. Calmness will then be restored
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #53
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Quote:
I too keep the key in my pocket; one of the many features I like about the system.
Should you forget to switch off again, you can preclude a repeat of your passengers giving you grief for such irresponsible behaviour by doing one of the following: 1. crank up the radio volume or, 2. just tell them to press the iDrive controller - it cancels all the bongs and lights and gives them something to do while they're waiting. Calmness will then be restored
I just turn everything off, turn on REST if it's cold, and they can wait until I get back
      02-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #54
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
I just turn everything off, turn on REST if it's cold, and they can wait until I get back
I didn't know that BMW had reinstated the REST function - what's the production date of your car?
My '08 E92 had it, but it was replaced by the ALL setting with the 3 series 2010 LCI changes and that was carried forward to the F10, at least until Sep '10 - the production date of my car.
I'm curious to know when and why they reverted to the old system.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didn't know that BMW had reinstated the REST function - what's the production date of your car?
My '08 E92 had it, but it was replaced by the ALL setting with the 3 series 2010 LCI changes and that was carried forward to the F10, at least until Sep '10 - the production date of my car.
I'm curious to know when and why they reverted to the old system.
Mine's 11/2010, boy was I happy to see that feature return

It's a bit hidden though, you press the fan-increase button to activate it. Otherwise the behaviour is exactly as it used to be.

Now if I can just figure out why temperature control has been removed from the back vents (for 2-zone air-con) when the new 1-series has it!!
      02-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #56
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Weird how they change things. My may 2011 F10 has the temp control on rear vents but not the "rest" function - unless it can be accessed by pressing the fan-increase button which I've never tried. I doubt it though as I assume you didn't find that out by accident and that it's documented. Maybe a software update on the cards....

EDIT - just re-read your post and my car is newer so I'm even more confused. I'll try the fan-increase button....
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Bugger me - the rest function IS there and works as you describe. Even the symbol lights up the same. And I thought I knew every control.

Try it Jon - I bet you have it too, if you know where to look!
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #58
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
Mine's 11/2010, boy was I happy to see that feature return

It's a bit hidden though, you press the fan-increase button to activate it. Otherwise the behaviour is exactly as it used to be.

Now if I can just figure out why temperature control has been removed from the back vents (for 2-zone air-con) when the new 1-series has it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Bugger me - the rest function IS there and works as you describe. Even the symbol lights up the same. And I thought I knew every control.

Try it Jon - I bet you have it too, if you know where to look!
Thanks for the info guys; I'll try it on my next drive. I have to say that I never bothered with it on my E92, but this current cold spell could reverse that thinking.
I thought I was reasonably familiar with the handbook and was about to say that there's nothing on the function, but to quote you Ian - bugger me, there it is on pages 134 & 138.
Leaves me wondering what else there is to discover
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #59
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Annoying (in a good way) when you have RTFM and still missed something

Multiple taxi trips waiting to pick up my daughter from swimming/dancing/brownies it's a godsend.
      02-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #60
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi,

just a quick thought, is it possible that the car is a manual and when you pulled up to the pump it with auto shutdown when you took it out of gear. If you had the lights on the battery may have drained enough the car need to restart when you were inside paying and that's why you didn't hear it until you got back in. That happens mine in stop start traffic. It still shut down then start up after a few mins to recharge the battery even though I did not put it into gear. Normally if you are outside the car you get a bong alert about it.

just wondering.....
Appreciate 0