2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Getting settled in: V1 install and coding - 2014 CBM 550xi

04-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Getting settled in: V1 install and coding - 2014 CBM 550xi

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Purchase

Picked up my Carbon Black 550xi through Jon Shafer at BMW of Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara auto group) last weekend. It was a pleasure working with Jon -- would highly recommend him for ED or US purchase.

Valentine One

Did my V1 hardwire this weekend. I used the green/brown wire from the rear-view mirror housing assembly for power and the brown/black wire from same for ground. I decided to solder the wire to the metal piece in the V1 provided Wiring Harness Connector (see link) because the wire seemed too thin to make good electrical contact.

I have the V1 unit connected to the V1 Direct-Wire Power Adapter via the V1 BOB, The Brown-Out Booster (to mitigate V1 main unit reboot during auto start/stop). I have a standard phone splitter (see link) connected to the accessory port of the V1 Direct-Wire Power Adapter. I have the V1connection LE (for iPhone) connected to one port of the splitter. The other port of the splitter is connected to my V1 Concealed Display. See link for V1 parts.

I can only access the front panel warnings on the V1 app because the V1connection LE and V1 Concealed Display are connected to the V1 unit at the same time -- see "Capability" note here. I can see all modes in the V1 app if I disconnect the V1 Concealed Display. I need to follow up with V1 to see if there is any way to get full functionality in the V1 app with the V1connection LE and the V1 Concealed Display connected at the same time.

Update: My V1 Concealed Display does not have ESP -- I need a newer version of the concealed display for me to access full functionality of the V1connection LE if both are connected.

I decided to install the V1 Concealed Display in the instrument cluster near the fuel gauge. I like that it is hidden from view (especially at night). The location works out pretty well -- I can still: (1) see the time and (2) reach the trip reset button behind the V1 Concealed Display. I snaked the wire in the gap below the A/C vent, around the side of the dash, up the A pillar and along the top to the rear view mirror area.

The main V1 unit is attached to the rear view mirror stem using a J28 design mount -- the fit, finish, and adjustability are amazing.

Coding

I had Alex@Alpine help me code the car yesterday. He was accurate, fast and very accommodating -- I would highly recommend him for any coding help.

I decided to code for the following:

-turn signals in HUD
-full email/message viewing in gear
-No dazzle LED headlights
-fog lights on when car unlocked
-fog lights can be turned on with high beams
-fold in side view mirrors with CA and key fob
-window close with CA and key fob
-window continues to open/close when door is opened
-trunk close with key fob and inside trunk release button
-cameras on at any speed
-tire temperature display in tire monitoring display
-inbound ringtone (use phone's ringtone when you receive a call)

Break-in

Currently at 850 miles -- can't wait to cross 1200.

PM me if you have any questions about the V1 installation...
Attached Images

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 04-30-2014 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: added details, added note about concealed display
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
dirtyvegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i msport

very nice update to my car. love the new style steering wheel (increased visibility to gauges) and the new LCI headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
rabjab12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
coding

how do we get in touch with alex?
Appreciate 0