2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Owners, does your car hesitate or jerk at 0-10 mph??

10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #67
chiver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Picked up my 535i last week and also notice that the car is very jerky at low speeds. This also happens when I reverse.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #68
pramit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mohammed View Post
This problem is really spoiling the experience. The car has become so annoying, and this is after I took it back to the dealer. Obviously, they've done nothing. They've just reset the gearbox programming as I've understood. The car is stuttering almost all the time. The gear shifting is rough and hesitant. I really have to feather the accelerater to avoid this "punishment". Otherwise, I'd get a kick in the behind.

I'm going to the dealer again tomorrow.

P.S.:
I can't PM People on this forum because I'm new, but I hope PRAMIT sees this post, because I'd like him to describe for me what he was experiencing exactly so I can complain with solid grounds. Thanks.
chief... look at my posts. i've posted all sorts of details about this. here's the specific post:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=35
      10-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #69
MarkyMarc
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

So I took my car back to the dealer and they kept it for two weeks. The service manager drove it and confirmed the problem even after resetting the software... And then a regional tech came by and hooked up two laptops to it and concluded that there's nothing wrong!

I picked the car up and it only took me one day in stop and go traffic to conclude that nothing has changed. On repeated occasions I've had passengers comment on the herky jerky throttle response. Other times I tap the accelerator and get no response at all. This is ruining my new car experience to say the least, and it's annoying as hell in daily driving. But it borders on a safety issue when the car accelerates ALLOT more than instructed and it happens in a bucking or jerking fashion, so it's not like I have any indication that it's about to happen, I just have to keep a good distance from the car in front of me all the time. The 3 series loaner they gave me didn't do this, so I know it's not me!!

The dealer says that BMW is reserving the right to try other repairs before
replacing the $6000 mechatronics part that PRAMIT's dealer stepped up and repaired. I wonder what the magic word is to have this done?

I'm grateful for those who continue to post and share their experiences on this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #70
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

The wierdest thing is happening! I'm getting less and less of these jolts. In fact when I went with the workshop manager I could'nt reproduce the jolts like before. He said that even little jolts are normal! Is it the adaptation system that's causing this problem (or fixing it)?! Anyway, for me, I'll wait and see if this problem goes away with time or if it becomes worse and then take the next step.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #71
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sport, Exec, Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mohammed View Post
The wierdest thing is happening! I'm getting less and less of these jolts. In fact when I went with the workshop manager I could'nt reproduce the jolts like before. He said that even little jolts are normal! Is it the adaptation system that's causing this problem (or fixing it)?! Anyway, for me, I'll wait and see if this problem goes away with time or if it becomes worse and then take the next step.
I'm noticing less jerkiness after 4000 km. Maybe a break in issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #72
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

@Goodchip: Mine has done almost 8000 Km now and for the last 2 days I've had like may be 1 jolt and it's even not as strong as before (and this is with me trying to reproduce the jolts at every given chance). I don't know what's going on but I'm liking it. I hope this problem doesn't happen again because it's really a joy killer and spoils the experience of the car which otherwise runs beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #73
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

My car seems to be jerking less and less too. I have also notice that if I drive aggressively, the jerk improves. I think this is a break-in issue. I will say that I have 5000 miles on the car already and the improvement has been since 2500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #74
tardis
Rep
Drives: e39 530i

Great news if it is a break in issue. I am hoping mine will settle out too...I have 900 miles on it so far. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #75
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo24 View Post
530D, smooth as silk, no lurching or jerking. It sounds like it's mainly petrol models. Any more diesel owners out there ?
My 535d is silky smooth regardless of speed, transmission or suspension settings and I'm extremely impressed with the drive-train.
My problem is with the straight-line steering, but that's a separate issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #76
mikestrete
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Possible solution

Dear fellow forum users,

I registered specifically in order to offer a possible solution. My F10 530d with 8 speed auto transmission was exhibiting some of the behaviour described in this thread - intermittent low speed bucking, complete power loss, and very strange idling even when in park. I initially thought the problem was related to the transmission as it seemed to me that the gearbox was becoming "stuck" between gears at low speeds: the rev needle would bounce up and down in time with the car bucking back and forth, with a complete loss of power. Reprogramming the gearbox control unit and the adaptive transmission settings didn't resolve the problem. However, an EGR fault was eventually diagnosed. In case someone doesn't know, the EGR valve operates under certain engine conditions so as to introduce (Recirculate) Exhaust Gases back into the engine to reduce emissions. It seems that the EGR valve was becoming stuck in an open position at low engine loads, effectively suffocating the engine with exhaust gases. My BMW dealer technician disconnected the car's electronics from the EGR assembly and this removed the problem. A new EGR assembly was then ordered and installed and the problem has completely disappeared. If a similar problem is afflicting any of your vehicles, the electronic diagnostic system should reveal an EGR fault code if this is the cause.

The problem was also ruining my experience of my new vehicle. Hopefully this will resolve someone's problems as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #77
ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrete View Post
Dear fellow forum users,

I registered specifically in order to offer a possible solution. My F10 530d with 8 speed auto transmission was exhibiting some of the behaviour described in this thread - intermittent low speed bucking, complete power loss, and very strange idling even when in park. I initially thought the problem was related to the transmission as it seemed to me that the gearbox was becoming "stuck" between gears at low speeds: the rev needle would bounce up and down in time with the car bucking back and forth, with a complete loss of power. Reprogramming the gearbox control unit and the adaptive transmission settings didn't resolve the problem. However, an EGR fault was eventually diagnosed. In case someone doesn't know, the EGR valve operates under certain engine conditions so as to introduce (Recirculate) Exhaust Gases back into the engine to reduce emissions. It seems that the EGR valve was becoming stuck in an open position at low engine loads, effectively suffocating the engine with exhaust gases. My BMW dealer technician disconnected the car's electronics from the EGR assembly and this removed the problem. A new EGR assembly was then ordered and installed and the problem has completely disappeared. If a similar problem is afflicting any of your vehicles, the electronic diagnostic system should reveal an EGR fault code if this is the cause.

The problem was also ruining my experience of my new vehicle. Hopefully this will resolve someone's problems as well.
Thanks for the input... This could be another possibility. I can see how this can be an intermittent problem and answer to some of the problems on this thread.

You were lucky that the tech "caught" the valve stuck while he was checking. This type of problem could be a headache as the EGR valve can operate erratically. It's the perfect "Owner's crazy" scenario... you go to the dealer because of a problem and the car's running flawless.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #78
mikestrete
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Exactly. Luckily it started to happen early one morning when I was very near the dealership. It was still doing it as I drove into their workshop, so I was able to make the technician drive the car and feel the problem first-hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #79
sequal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 2011

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
yea I was thinking the same thing when I got my 5. At low speeds, I feel you need to press on the gas petal to get it going and once you do the car jumps.

Last edited by sequal; 10-07-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #80
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

@Mikestrete: The workshop manager told me my car didn't show any faults when they checked it.

Although the jolting and stuttering is almost gone, at very low speeds especially when in stop-start traffic I still can feel these small uncomfortable jolts. Even the passengers could feel it and made some remarks about it.

I wonder when will this issue be resolved completely!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #81
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Not on my week 36 535i. Hope it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #82
Ronsell
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc View Post
Hi,

Proud owner here of a 1 week old 535i! Space Gray on Oyster Dakota Leather with the anthracite wood... Premium 1, Premium 2, Convenience Package and Cold Weather Package. I love the suspension, the NAV, the ultra quiet cabin, and the all the little features that make this car so amazing! But there's one problem.

When I test drove it, I drove it like I stole it and red lined it at every chance I got! And it's a great peformer. The problem is, in real world driving I rarely get the chance to do that. Instead, I'm finding that at VERY low speeds, the car has a hard time figuring out what I want.... Idiling along in traffic and then lightly touching the gas either gives no response, or too much of a response as it ramps up and I lurch forward. From a stop it's the worst. Driving through the neighborhood, parking lots, or stopped at a light, I get a very unlinear acceleration response when just slowly moving forward. Yes, the 0-60 is amazing. ... It's that gentle touch of the pedal that keeps my occupant's heads from jerking that I'm not able to attain!

Is anyone else having this problem? Took it to the dealer and the technician who rode with me and also drove it said he got what I was saying and kind of recreated it too, but didn't offer a solution. The shop has not seen any of these cars come through for any reason because it's so new... so I'm looking for any other owners who are also having this problem?! Are any of you experiencing the transmission hunting for the right speed, or the sensation of a jerk as the engine over compensates, or is it me??

Trying to be a smooth operator!! Thanks for your responses.
I'm having the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #83
bimmerfrei
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

My 528i also jerks. Not in really low speeds, but when you drive at about 45 mph on low rev. It's extremely irritating and even though I've been to my dealer twice, it hasn't been solved. Does anyone else experience this?

/Christian
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #84
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

I think for those who took delivery in the heat of the summer, this issue was worse.

Over time (transmission/engine/powertrain break-in), it gets better.

Others can chime in, but my car appears to be mostly better - even in stop-and-go traffic.

Then again the weather is cooler than it was in August.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #85
Dr. Mohammed
Rep

I'm getting obsessed with this! I've been trying to drive other cars and they don't have this kind of rough shifting or jolting. I can't believe that the car is intended to drive this way!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #86
tardis
Rep
Drives: e39 530i

I only have 900 miles on it and I'm hoping it too will get better w time. I took it to the dealer and of course it only hiccuped once. I'm to take it in for them to look at longer next month. Some days it doesn't do it and others it does it a lot, and I've noticed it hiccups when I'm braking. Over 15 miles per hour the car is smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #87
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

hmmm my 528 seems to be fine... i just have to be gentle from first gear (since it's 8 speed auto so first gear must be very short) but it shifts smoothly with no issues... maybe you guys can post video of what you're experiencing somehow (if video can catch it)?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #88
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

You can really tell when you decelerate (brake) from 2-3 MPH to zero. The car continues to stutter even as the car is stopped.
Appreciate 0