2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes TPMS function error and random chassi function restricted error

11-22-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
RuthlessG123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F11 520D xDrive

TPMS function error and random chassi function restricted error

Hello!
Apologies if this question has been answered before, I was not able to find a post that links these two faults.

I recently bought a BMW f11 520D xDrive, model year 2017.

When test-driving it, it had summer tyres with original wheels on and the car was fault free.
The car dealer offered to install the winter tyres with a free exterior car wash after we had bought it.

After driving it for 5 minutes with the installed winter tyres with another set of original wheels, an error popped up saying TPMS function error.
After a while it then showed a chassi function restricted warning.

The chassi function restricted warning comes on and off randomly, sometimes when starting the car and sometimes not at all, and sometimes after driving on the highway for 10-15 minutes. The car feels fine and I can switch between comfort and sport.

I have figured out that the TPMS error is due to the the winter wheels not having TPMS sensors, so I have taken it back to the dealer and they said that they would install sensors on them for free.
They would also take a look at the chassi function warning and the salesman told me it could be due to the shop that changed the winter wheels had not set the suspension to "maintainance mode".

Could this warning be showing up due to the TPMS function failure, or was there possibly something broken when the shop changed the wheels?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:50 PM   #2
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Interesting… I've heard of maintenance mode for the rear brake calipers (backs off the parking brake actuators for pad replacement), but I've not heard of a mode for suspension.

I'll be interested to see what comes of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:12 AM   #3
RuthlessG123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F11 520D xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Interesting… I've heard of maintenance mode for the rear brake calipers (backs off the parking brake actuators for pad replacement), but I've not heard of a mode for suspension.

I'll be interested to see what comes of this.
Heard back from the car salesman, the problem seems to be due to a failed pressure sensor in the air suspension. The shop will replace it under the dealer warranty.
Appreciate 1