2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is there a way to auto-unlock doors?

05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
There is no auto unlock function in the US. My Audi use to unlock the doors when I put it in park, the BMW doesnt have that option.
I am not sure this the case with my one, it tend to lock the door when driving and unlock my door only when parking, and only my door is down to the setup I have, hence I have to press remote twice to unlock all doors, and only once for my door.

I forgot to check what trigger the unlocking, but I am certain that often it get to my nerves when I cancel out the auto unlocking after using the dashboard button. maybe I am worn but I let you know if I have it or not.

I know for Ireland and UK not sure about other locations for example you cannot unlock the boot without unlocking drivers door, i.e. if the car is locked and try to open the boot with remote, it will not work. a setup I had for on my old E60 too, was told this is a setup for the UK and Ireland, maybe to avoid locking your car keys in the boot and no access to the car to open the boot again.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
Exactly my situation. It drives me mad...
Why do you use the auto lock function? As far as I know, the door locks do not contribute to active safety (that is, they don't play a role in keeping the doors closed in a crash), and an auto unlock is at odds with concerns some people have about security. In short: if you don't like having to unlock the doors from inside the car, not locking them in the first place is a reasonable solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Why do you use the auto lock function? As far as I know, the door locks do not contribute to active safety (that is, they don't play a role in keeping the doors closed in a crash), and an auto unlock is at odds with concerns some people have about security. In short: if you don't like having to unlock the doors from inside the car, not locking them in the first place is a reasonable solution.
I actually hadn't thought about that. Guess I'm afraid of car-jackers???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
I actually hadn't thought about that. Guess I'm afraid of car-jackers???
A reasonable concern. But unless you've got the armored, bullet-proof version of the BMW, how much protection do the locked doors give you against a car-jacker? And how much protection would they give you if they automatically opened when you stop?
Appreciate 0