2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ACS Springs popping noise

07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

ACS Springs popping noise

Anyone having ACS spring issues? At lower speeds when turning the wheels left or right you can hear popping noise like the spring is slightly moving inside the strut. I'm at the BMW dealership that installed it and they checked and said everything looks normal. There double checking it again looking at other stuff. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

ALSO:

NIGHTVISION is not working properly. It's not flashing on the heads up or the screen as pedestrians are getting near. Also bottom left corner there is a yellow triangle/pedestrian with a slash mark that wont go away. I have the option checked marked for it detect pedestrian on the menu so that picture on the bottom left should not be there with that slash. Actually the picture on the bottom left should be with a check mark on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
ptyboy25
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i Before 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt
Anyone having ACS spring issues? At lower speeds when turning the wheels left or right you can hear popping noise like the spring is slightly moving inside the strut. I'm at the BMW dealership that installed it and they checked and said everything looks normal. There double checking it again looking at other stuff. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

ALSO:

NIGHTVISION is not working properly. It's not flashing on the heads up or the screen as pedestrians are getting near. Also bottom left corner there is a yellow triangle/pedestrian with a slash mark that wont go away. I have the option checked marked for it detect pedestrian on the menu so that picture on the bottom left should not be there with that slash. Actually the picture on the bottom left should be with a check mark on it.
I think i have the same issue with the Night Vision really havent pay attention to it but sounds very similar to yours. Did you have BMW look at it?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Pm Nobleman. Him and his brother had some noises after getting their ACS springs installed and the shop ended up tightening something to fix it.

Alan
      07-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

No noise from my ACS springs.

My Nightvision works fine, but can have problems with pedestrian detection in rain or fog when its warm outside, I think the temperature difference is to little in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Have never been to misery but is there an ACS certified mechanic.

I had my ACS spring installed here in Germany and have had no negative issues with them.
      07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyboy25 View Post
I think i have the same issue with the Night Vision really havent pay attention to it but sounds very similar to yours. Did you have BMW look at it?
The BMW dealership showed me a page that they printed out from there computer stating that the HOT humid weather will turn off night vision Pedstrian detection. The pedestrian detection will not flash and will show it deactivated with that yellow slash mark on the lower left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Have never been to misery but is there an ACS certified mechanic.

I had my ACS spring installed here in Germany and have had no negative issues with them.
Ha Misery short for Missouri! No certified ACS mechanics here. I took it to a BMW dealership here in Misery. I'm going to have the BMW dealership email ACS to ask them for guidance on to what to do. Maybe the springs are defective????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Pm Nobleman. Him and his brother had some noises after getting their ACS springs installed and the shop ended up tightening something to fix it.

Alan
Thanks Alan...will do!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

My ACS Springs were installed by the ACS USA Rep. in LA, CA and I have no adverse issues--only awesomeness so far!

My car is a 2012 550i M-Sport without ARS. Is your car a 535? (they have different springs). An "xi"?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
ceebange061175
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i M-sports

SO??? Did you solve the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebange061175 View Post
SO??? Did you solve the problem?
No the problem is not solved the noise is still there. The BMW service Manager is helping me out. They installed the springs so there waiting for a reply from AC Schnitzer USA and Germany to see what they need to do. It might be a defective spring. I dont know. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. I'll post back here once I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Doubt it's the spring being defective. It's a pretty simple part and I suspect something isn't tight enough causing the noise.

Normally the spring should be able to move/turn.

Alan
      07-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
ceebange061175
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
No the problem is not solved the noise is still there. The BMW service Manager is helping me out. They installed the springs so there waiting for a reply from AC Schnitzer USA and Germany to see what they need to do. It might be a defective spring. I dont know. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. I'll post back here once I know.
Me and Nobleman still hv the noise inside cabin. We went to installer and did everything we could, but the little noise is still there when we step on rough roads. After we went to installer couple of the times, noise definitly reduced alot tho. It doesn't bother us alot, so we just gave up. If you solve the problem, tell us what went wrong. Our springs are for the x-drive and we checked the part number were right. Front springs and back springs are different and they installed it right too.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

that really sucks. I have ACS springs waiting to go on my xdrive car as well i don't want to have any clunks in a brand new car. Did you guys try contacting ACS directly yet?

Alan
      07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Interesting, we've installed plenty of ACS and other brand springs on F10 (xdrive and non) cars with zero customer complaints so far
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Good to hear Alex. I am guessing its installer error at some point causing the noise because there are tons of cars with ACS springs without any issues here.

See you soon

Alan
      07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep

The springs should not make any noise: you are replacing one solid coil of metal with another. Some connection on the springs could be loose, but that would likely be a BIG noise. In addition, an overall stiffer ride could help you notice something else non-spring-related that is loose.

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
ceebange061175
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that really sucks. I have ACS springs waiting to go on my xdrive car as well i don't want to have any clunks in a brand new car. Did you guys try contacting ACS directly yet?

Alan
Yo Alan you are always welcome to visit me and my bro, if you want to hear the noise before you intall your springs. We are @ Fort Lee NJ right across over GW Bridge! You will know what im talking about instead of guessing your self.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
My ACS Springs were installed by the ACS USA Rep. in LA, CA and I have no adverse issues--only awesomeness so far!

My car is a 2012 550i M-Sport without ARS. Is your car a 535? (they have different springs). An "xi"?

My car is a 2011 550 m sport.

The BMW service manager from Plaza BMW where i got my springs installed emailed ACS USA and Germany. I'm still waiting. Once he gets a reply back I'll let you all know.

Last edited by ausfahrt; 07-24-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
ceebange061175
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
My car is a 2011 550 m sport.

The BMW service manager from Plaza BMW where i got my springs installed emailed ACS USA and Germany. I'm still waiting. Once he gets a reply back I'll let you all know.
Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #19
SriRamJaiRam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 i35d M-Sport

I had ACS sprigs in my F10 550 m sport & had the exact same issue. CEC Wheels here in LA did the install. They couldn't figure it out. I eventually installed KW coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep

The install of the ACS Springs on my 2012 550i M-Sport was also done by CEC and so far--knock on wood--I do not hear any popping or other noises--just an awesomme ride. CEC is the West Coast ACS Distributor.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I suspect your issue is related to the thrust bearing on top of the shock being an issue. If the thrust bearing isn't tight enough or the dealer didn't put back the washers in the correct order it can cause the issue that you are experiencing. The dealer obviously doesn't want to check that area because it would require them to pull the entire front shock off the car again. I would bring it to another shop and let them get a go at it. If it turns out it was a faulty install then talk to your bmw dealer to have them reimburse you since they f'ed up and couldn't find it.
      09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I suspect your issue is related to the thrust bearing on top of the shock being an issue. If the thrust bearing isn't tight enough or the dealer didn't put back the washers in the correct order it can cause the issue that you are experiencing. The dealer obviously doesn't want to check that area because it would require them to pull the entire front shock off the car again. I would bring it to another shop and let them get a go at it. If it turns out it was a faulty install then talk to your bmw dealer to have them reimburse you since they f'ed up and couldn't find it.
I'll check with the dealership and see if they will look at the thrust bearing. Your right about the dealer not wanting to pull it apart again. It's easier for them to just blame the springs as a faulty product since it's not OEM!

Does anybody have a diagram that shows the proper installation of the bearings and washer?
Appreciate 0