2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Service mileage rapid change?

03-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
wonderd44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Service mileage rapid change?

Hey everyone. Have around 7k milage on the dash 2017 5 series. The service soon light came on and it jumped from service in like 800 miles to service in 300 miles for engine oil. I am curious why thia happenes when the engine oil level is normal. Its a lease and I'm wondering if I will get a penalty if I get it serviced a little later.

Also should I have any worry about the service center trying to pull a fast one being I did not get the lease from the particular dealer I am bringing it to?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderd44 View Post
Hey everyone. Have around 7k milage on the dash 2017 5 series. The service soon light came on and it jumped from service in like 800 miles to service in 300 miles for engine oil. I am curious why thia happenes when the engine oil level is normal. Its a lease and I'm wondering if I will get a penalty if I get it serviced a little later.

Also should I have any worry about the service center trying to pull a fast one being I did not get the lease from the particular dealer I am bringing it to?
Aren't you covered by the maintenance agreement? If so, just go to the dealer and get the oil changed. Oil level has nothing to do with the need for a regular oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

BMW uses a Condition Based Service system. The mileage is constantly being recalculated, similar to how if you watch your range being recalculated as you drive and then jump on the highway cruising the range starts going up, or the inverse jumping off highway into stop and go traffic.

If you drive aggressively and the ambient temperature is higher with more stop and go traffic CBS will reel in its interval estimation.

Regardless the CBS recommended oil service interval is too damn long. It will allow for 10, 12k or further service intervals. I'd recommend servicing the engine with a factory filter and LL01 oil every 7500mi.
Appreciate 0