2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New guy here ... concerns abound..

04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

New guy here ... concerns abound..

Hello forum.. I have a Dark Graphite 535 M Sport ( conv package, premium 1 and 2 ,etc) due to arrive in a few weeks and I am going from completely stoked to " what I getting into" after reading all the bad news "jerky transmissions" and "severe pulling to the right" and uneven body panel/mirrors on this and other review/boards. What gives here? This is a 70k premium luxury sedan. If I am at the dealer in 4 weeks with major issues like these it is not going to be pretty. They will be coming after me to rectify damage to the dealership.

I have had 2 BMW's (and one BMW motorcycle) , two 911's an E Class and I just got out of a 2007 Audi A8 that saw the dealership twice in 3 years for oil changes and front brake pads. I had zero major problems with any of the aforementioned. I know that many like to "weigh in" with the negatives on-line but I would assume most that get into this type of car would be more likely to say great things. I drove it, loved the drive but like others have said I did not do a lot of stop and go city driving so I did not feel "surging" from the 1st few gears. Pulling hard to the right? Did not feel that? I love the car..it looks fantastic, seems to handle well and after all the "options" I have it should be comparable to the Audi A8 in terms of comfort. So what gives? Has BMW addressed these issues properly? I know one thing... I am going to give my car to be a thorough test drive before I sign the final paperwork. If it pulls or hesitates or brakes dont feel like glue ... There will be a fully loaded M Sport there for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
guji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I have my 535i for over a month and none of the problem happens on mine. "knock on wood".

The people who experience those problems are a small population of the 5 series owners. Because people who have those problems tend to post online to share their awful stories and try to get help from the community, so it might seem like those are common issues.

I believe most 5 series owners are happy with their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by guji View Post
I have my 535i for over a month and none of the problem happens on mine. "knock on wood".

The people who experience those problems are a small population of the 5 series owners. Because people who have those problems tend to post online to share their awful stories and try to get help from the community, so it might seem like those are common issues.

I believe most 5 series owners are happy with their cars.
well said.

As a person on my 2nd F10 in less then a year I agree 100% its (we) are a small segment. The F10 is an incredible car in every way and it has no equal, thats why I gladly took a replacement.
      04-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Id also venture a guess that a lot of these niggly problems are with those 'early adopter' cars and as the yr has passed BMW has rectified those worries.

As someone who is prob picking his up on friday yep am concerned that there are issues with the car - but am also looking forward to it, and if anything know what to look for upon delivery.
      04-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Id also venture a guess that a lot of these niggly problems are with those 'early adopter' cars and as the yr has passed BMW has rectified those worries.

As someone who is prob picking his up on friday yep am concerned that there are issues with the car - but am also looking forward to it, and if anything know what to look for upon delivery.

I think you are correct. Mine was ordered in March of last year and I had to wait until 06-19-10 the "official release" until I could take delivery of it. Soon as I took delivery the massive "pull to the right" thread opened.
      04-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

As stated above, a lot of the early car issues have been resolved. Since I don't have an automatic transmission, I didn't have those issues but I speculate that it's the nature of the beast - the car does a lot of shifting with eight gears to go through.

And people do tend to complain but rarely fill up the forum with comments like "had my car for 8 months with no problems!".

My car had its first service visit this week at 4600 miles. I have second-guessed my decision to buy this car, but I'm not sure what else is out there that I could get that would meet my criteria that this car has basically met.

Odds are that you new guys will be happy with your cars. Don't let the (at times) overwhelming negativity get you down!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You have to remember that by nature, Forums such as these are more likely to have the complaints, issues, and problems noted on a car. If anything, it allows the community of owners to ask the question whether or not anyone else has the same characteristic as their car.

That being said, we can understand your concern. All expect a level of craftmanship and engineering from BMW...comensurate with the price we pay. You have to remember though that this is a new model year car with a lot of new technology that BMW is using for the first time..... for such a big population of cars. Namely the eight speed ZF transmission, and Electric steering. True, not all cars have the same issues, and I suspect as time passes, most will probably get resolved. I have some of these issues, but overall am very pleased with the car. I truly think it is one of the best looking and best driving sedans on the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

Three weeks and 1900 miles on a 535iX DHP sport and I have none of the "common" maladies such as pulling to the right, grinding noise and transmission hesitation. And I really feel bad for those that do. Navigation is as good as any I've seen despite complaints that some have expressed. The premium sound system and satellite are really good. I don't care much about facebook or iTunes in my car so people may have valid complaints about those.

What I appreciate most is a refined car that is almost a perfect combination of driving pleasure and comfort. The engine and transmission are an uncompromising pair. Oh, and it looks great too. It handles very well at any speed and has ample power and torque throughout the normal driving range plus some. Long trips are very tolerable due to the handling and suspension qualities coupled with superb active comfort seats and the great sound system. Rear seat passengers are very happy with the available room and comfort.

Complaints? Yes! The big and only real one is the Goodyear 19" Eagle LS2 tires and the lack of a spare or room for one so that I could have a choice of replacement tires without having to be concerned about flats. I have had three sidewall bubbles in 1900 miles. Hopefully the tire situation is a GY problem that they will fix or will be fixed when another RFT brand becomes available. The hood needs a slight realignment on one side. No big deal, but it shouldn't be delivered that way. Otherwise, body and trim fit is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Autojack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M-Sport

ghueser +1

Most of the F10 QC issues raised on this forum have been or are being remedied. The 2011 F10 is a superb vehicle and a post 10/1/10 or 3/1/11 production date vehicle should be 99% good to go .....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Smedley Butler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535xdrive

See this satisfaction poll from another forum

Name:  poll.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  63.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
montanaman
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies although it sounds like half the room here is saying that there are problems but the car is great and its worth dealing with them? That may be true for some but dealing with transmission and or steering issues on a new 70k BMW is not my idea of "normal". My build date on mine was 3/8/11 so I guess I can hope that the issues have been resolved. I think it is an awesome looking car and I'm sure it is solid as a rock. I just will take that extra long drive before the ink hits the paper and the credit card comes out. BTW just read the new Motor Trend review of the new A6 .... in 3 words.." Not so much"....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
montanaman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Butler View Post
See this satisfaction poll from another forum

Thanks..

looked at the poll and the comments. Not as good as I hoped.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Smedley Butler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Thanks..

looked at the poll and the comments. Not as good as I hoped.
Actually, I think the poll and the comments are very good. As others have stated in this thread, people frequently post in forums like these to either complain or report problems and look for answers. Not many people go out of their way to post "got my car and everything's fine". On top of that, there are ALWAYS people that come to forums like these to simply stir up trouble by bashing the car. There are plenty of them around here.

82% answered that they are LOVING the car and around 88% report being satisfied. I'd guess that in a real world poll, you'd see numbers in the very high 90's.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
guji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Butler View Post
Actually, I think the poll and the comments are very good. As others have stated in this thread, people frequently post in forums like these to either complain or report problems and look for answers. Not many people go out of their way to post "got my car and everything's fine". On top of that, there are ALWAYS people that come to forums like these to simply stir up trouble by bashing the car. There are plenty of them around here.

82% answered that they are LOVING the car and around 88% report being satisfied. I'd guess that in a real world poll, you'd see numbers in the very high 90's.
+1

Most people who have no problem with their cars will not even bother to visit the forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Thanks for the replies although it sounds like half the room here is saying that there are problems but the car is great and its worth dealing with them? That may be true for some but dealing with transmission and or steering issues on a new 70k BMW is not my idea of "normal". My build date on mine was 3/8/11 so I guess I can hope that the issues have been resolved. I think it is an awesome looking car and I'm sure it is solid as a rock. I just will take that extra long drive before the ink hits the paper and the credit card comes out. BTW just read the new Motor Trend review of the new A6 .... in 3 words.." Not so much"....
What bothers other people you may not even notice. Also, sometimes the description of problems can be exaggerated.

I'm not saying there aren't problems (I don't car how small a sample posts on these Boards, if it can happen to them it can happen to you and BMW needs to address them), they just may not be serious or even matter to you.

You have a 4-year all-inclusive warranty, it's security.

If you're looking for a car without issues then you are going to be disappointed. If you want to drive a car there will be the possibility you will need to deal with stuff, regardless of what you buy.

Don't worry until you have to, and it may turn out you will never have to deal with anything serious.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

82% whats not to like about that?
      04-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
BOGONY
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i cab /2011 535 XI

There is no such thing as a perfect car.

Every car has its minor problems or eccentricities

This is my third 5 series

Each one is better than the last.

No problems. I just don't love the steering.

Enjoy a great car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Ict528i
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i alpine white

9 years ago prior to taking delivery on my ordered 3 series I read the forums exhaustedly and got pretty paranoid about all the issues that were being described on that car. Long story short it was the best car I ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

6 weeks and 2500 miles into my F10 and I am totally satisfied. No niggles or problems = one very happy owner
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Chickster
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i and 2011 X5

Don't worry. Other than my 745Li, all other BMWs have been great. Current F10 550i and X5 have been great. F10 had front end pulling problems and jerky acceleration but dealer took care of problems with re-program.

Enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
montanaman
Private
Rep

Thanks all .. I am back to being stoked about it. Looks like I will have it by the end of the month
Appreciate 0