2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Is this a good offer for the 535i?

07-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
E46Power
Registered
Rep
Drives: SilverE46

Is this a good offer for the 535i?

Hey guys,

I'm new here but I have been reading a lot of info from the forum for the past few weeks. Today I decided to go to one of the dealers to check out the 535i.

I already knew what options I wanted before went there and the MSRP came out to be $63,300 and the best deal they can give me is $59,000 with Nav. Credit. The Nav. Credit itself is already $1730 which mean they only gave me $2603. Is this even a good deal? I saw ppl even getting 7% discount w/o the Nav. Credit applied and I'm not even getting 5%. Is it before I live in So. Cal. that's why dealers don't offer much discount? The sales advisor even told me that they sale X3 for MSRP...

Also they gave me another offer with a demo car on the lot. It's also a 535i with MSRP of $66,375 and 5000 miles on it. They offered me $60,000. The sales advisor told me that it is not a CPO as it was never registered. It is only about $1000 below the invoice and with the Nav. Credit applied. What do you guys think, is it a good deal?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Not to be a buzz kill but you should be able to do much, much better. Don't forget that this is pretty much the end of the 2011 model year and they want to move as much inventory as they can to make room for the 2012's. Just for comparison, here in the NYC area I ordered the 535xi with PP1/PP2 and top/side cameras. Configured this way the car has an MSRP of $61,325. My price was $54,595 or a savings of 11%. That price included both the $1730 nav credit and the $1000 Drive for Team USA event. So, as you can see, you should be able to do considerably better than you were told. Shop around. Much of this you can do by telephone and over the internet. If they see that you know your stuff and that you're ready to buy for a target price, they'll give you some more realistic offers.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Not to be a buzz kill but you should be able to do much, much better. Don't forget that this is pretty much the end of the 2011 model year and they want to move as much inventory as they can to make room for the 2012's. Just for comparison, here in the NYC area I ordered the 535xi with PP1/PP2 and top/side cameras. Configured this way the car has an MSRP of $61,325. My price was $54,595 or a savings of 11%. That price included both the $1730 nav credit and the $1000 Drive for Team USA event. So, as you can see, you should be able to do considerably better than you were told. Shop around. Much of this you can do by telephone and over the internet. If they see that you know your stuff and that you're ready to buy for a target price, they'll give you some more realistic offers.

Good luck!
you got one killer of a deal

one thing that I've noticed that cities where they dont do car in valume (OC or Burgh) dealers try to dictate terms.

You can haggle a lot better if you've 5-6 dealers around town.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
E46Power
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I figured that deal was just BS. I'm trying to work with 3 other dealers online now. So far I got one back with an offer of $800 above the invoice and he said cannot lock in the $1730 credit due to that he has to order the car.

Here is my options for the 535i: Apline White, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim,Sport Auto Transmission, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation System, Heated Front Seats, Split Fold-Down Back Seat, BMW-APP w/Smart Phone Intergration, iPod/USB Adapter. BMWConfig.com quoted $58,405 with $800 above will be $59,200 and cannot lock in the $1730?? Let me get this right he mean there will not be a $1730 credit for an order car right? But isn't this credit is offered by BMWUSA instead of an individual dealer?? If this is the case that this is even worth than the first dealer...

Below is what the internet sale manager wrote in the email.

"Hi Andy, I will sell or lease the 535 for 800 over invoice, with the options you would like we will probably have to order the car, it takes about 8 weeks to receive it here. My locator is off line at this time, when it comes back I will search for the 535 with your options. We cannot lock in the 1730 credit on an ordered car, if you are a little flexible I may be able to find one. Take care"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Power View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I figured that deal was just BS. I'm trying to work with 3 other dealers online now. So far I got one back with an offer of $800 above the invoice and he said cannot lock in the $1730 credit due to that he has to order the car.

Here is my options for the 535i: Apline White, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim,Sport Auto Transmission, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation System, Heated Front Seats, Split Fold-Down Back Seat, BMW-APP w/Smart Phone Intergration, iPod/USB Adapter. BMWConfig.com quoted $58,405 with $800 above will be $59,200 and cannot lock in the $1730?? Let me get this right he mean there will not be a $1730 credit for an order car right? But isn't this credit is offered by BMWUSA instead of an individual dealer?? If this is the case that this is even worth than the first dealer...

Below is what the internet sale manager wrote in the email.

"Hi Andy, I will sell or lease the 535 for 800 over invoice, with the options you would like we will probably have to order the car, it takes about 8 weeks to receive it here. My locator is off line at this time, when it comes back I will search for the 535 with your options. We cannot lock in the 1730 credit on an ordered car, if you are a little flexible I may be able to find one. Take care"
Configured as you describe I come up with an MSRP of $63,300. So with a price (before tax, of course) of $59,200 you're getting a discount off MSRP of $4,100 or 6.5%. The $1730 credit (directly thru BMW) for nav is good thru at least July and I believe the date they go by is the order date, not the delivery date so there's really no reason you shouldn't be getting that as well. And if there's a BMW sponsored "Drive for Team USA" event anywhere around your area that would give you another $1000 off. Assuming the subtraction of these two items you would be at $56,470 or a discount off MSRP of $6,830 or ~11%. At that point I think you'd be getting a very nice deal.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
E46Power
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the input PsychDoc. Can I ask you where did you get the $59,200 invoice from? The MSRP is right for every site I went to which is $63,300 but the invoice is a little different from each site. BMWConfig.com quoted $58,405, Truecar.com quoted $58,905 with regional ad fee and edmunds.com quoted around $58,200. So I took the one in the middle for the invoice. Also where can I check which dealer sponsored "Drive for Team USA"? Do you know where I can find more details on that?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Power View Post
Thanks for the input PsychDoc. Can I ask you where did you get the $59,200 invoice from? The MSRP is right for every site I went to which is $63,300 but the invoice is a little different from each site. BMWConfig.com quoted $58,405, Truecar.com quoted $58,905 with regional ad fee and edmunds.com quoted around $58,200. So I took the one in the middle for the invoice. Also where can I check which dealer sponsored "Drive for Team USA"? Do you know where I can find more details on that?

Thanks a lot for your help.
The $59,200 figure I just took from what you said your offer was. All my figures are based on comparisons to MSRP. I don't know what "invoice" is and, to be honest, I'm not sure I care. I think you can get a pretty good idea what a good deal is by comparing actual sales price to MSRP. I think any time you're at or better than 8-9% under MSRP you're in the ballpark of a good price. As to the Drive Event, I'd just call BMWNA or a bunch of dealerships and ask if and when they're sponsoring one. The $1000 voucher is directly thru BMW and is not specific to the dealership that's holding the event (as one dealership around here tried to mislead me about). Just be sure you don't place your order until after you've gone to the Drive Event as it's only valid for purchases from the date you participate.

Happy to help and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Russ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi

.. consider European Delivery.. also check out truecar.com.. then go to Elmhurst BMW.

Last edited by Russ; 07-09-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
E46Power
Registered
Rep

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I finally ordered my 535i. Got the deal around $59,450 before Navigation Credit, it is about the same price Truecar.com quoted. All the same options I posted before except no BMW-App and added the Rear Sunshades (really wanted the PP2 but wife said no..., as she will be the primary driver for the car since I drove my old e46 to work). Also I signed up for the next "Drive for Team USA" in few days, the CA said I can order the car today and show him the code after I attended the event. I'm so excited and can't wait to see the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

Hi there,

I got a 535i lease 10k/36m with Auto, Premium+Cold, Navigation, Iphone and metallic color for $624 (they quoted $552 with BMW loyalty but I missed it by a month and this quote was without tire/rim warranty). I also added coverage for tire/wheel warranty from BMW as they said I live in NYC and its highly likely I will blow up a tire or rim.

I paid $1999 on delivery along with $1000 coupon (Drive for USA Event).
The car did have 200 miles on it.

Was this a fair price? I looked at ED for the same spec and it was slightly higher than what I'm paying now.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
BMW_ACURA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535I SPORT/PREM

Psychdoc must have got very good deal on his BMW but he got a very very bad trade in value for his TL. Keep in mind when you go to buy a car the first thing they ask you is "Do you have a trade", depending on much they make on your trade and on new the car they will negotiate. If they give you very good deal on new they will make money on your trade.
In your case i assume that you don't have a trade that is the reason they are quoting you high price, because they have to make money some where, so the only option they have is to make money on selling you a car.
Looking at your prices i am pretty sure you can do much better.
They have to give you NAV credit even iF you order your car, other wise it is BS
Appreciate 0