2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 Headlights/Rear Light Upgrade!!!

02-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #45
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Should have just bought a car with xenons in the first place. Would have saved a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #46
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

But what is this for then? Am I missing something?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/high-po...ncQaAtxU8P8HAQ
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #47
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Just found a pair of LCI headlights with all modules etc at a breakers yard. He wants £600 for them and I'm thinking about buying. Would they work though as there LCI xenons? If I coded the Xenon option for the F10 perhaps I'm unsure?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 05:07 AM   #48
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_luvver
Hi again,

Sorry to bump this, but I'm excited at the prospect of finally sorting this 4 year issue out. Is it truly possible to upgrade the DRLs?

Anyone?
Yes I've had the full back of the headlight off it is possible with the chips I've listed. I'm planning on doing it in the summer when it's warmer and it's not gonna be an easy job. The theory is easy, strip the headlight, remove old led chips, replace with new uprated ones and solder. The tricky bit is the access to solder the new LED. However coding would be required to have the Angels as DRL. I've already done this and it's simple. Having just found some Xenon LCI headlights at a breakers yard I might be buying them and trying to retrofit them instead they come with all modules (much easier) but as there LCI and my car isn't LCI so I don't know if it will work so trying to find out
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #49
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
Yes I've had the full back of the headlight off it is possible with the chips I've listed. I'm planning on doing it in the summer when it's warmer and it's not gonna be an easy job. The theory is easy, strip the headlight, remove old led chips, replace with new uprated ones and solder. The tricky bit is the access to solder the new LED. However coding would be required to have the Angels as DRL. I've already done this and it's simple. Having just found some Xenon LCI headlights at a breakers yard I might be buying them and trying to retrofit them instead they come with all modules (much easier) but as there LCI and my car isn't LCI so I don't know if it will work so trying to find out
Hi,

Do you have photos of the stripped headlight assy? I saw an oval cover down towards the bottom and at the rear of the headlight unit; what's behind that?

Ta!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #50
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Just found a pair of LCI headlights with all modules etc at a breakers yard. He wants £600 for them and I'm thinking about buying. Would they work though as there LCI xenons? If I coded the Xenon option for the F10 perhaps I'm unsure?
If you are referring to the pair which is on fleabay, then I inquired about them. That chappy wanted minimum of £900.

And then I looked at the diagram of the wiring and It did not make sense at all to me. I could not work out the difference b.w lci and pre-lci and wiring seemed different.

I read that you need new gateway module, frm module and at least 22 different parts to fit LED headlight but not sure about the standard xenon.
      03-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #51
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
If you are referring to the pair which is on fleabay, then I inquired about them. That chappy wanted minimum of 900.

And then I looked at the diagram of the wiring and It did not make sense at all to me. I could not work out the difference b.w lci and pre-lci and wiring seemed different.

I read that you need new gateway module, frm module and at least 22 different parts to fit LED headlight but not sure about the standard xenon.
This is my first BMW. I've had VAG cars all prior to this, I can't afford an LCI car. But I can afford an A6 S Line, Bose sound system is standard as are Bi-Xenon headlamps and LED tails. The unmodifiable nature of the new BMWs i have to say is a put of. Everything I've done to this car has been bas****.... and I'm losing faith quickly ... help :
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #52
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is my first BMW. I've had VAG cars all prior to this, I can't afford an LCI car. But I can afford an A6 S Line, Bose sound system is standard as are Bi-Xenon headlamps and LED tails. The unmodifiable nature of the new BMWs i have to say is a put of. Everything I've done to this car has been bas****.... and I'm losing faith quickly ... help :
BMW charge for everything unless you get M3 / M5 then you get most of the things already in the package.

Which xenon lights did you mention? The one on ebay? If you do not want to share it here then feel free to pm.

VAG is easier to modify and less coding required. BMW is totally different.
Also, if you look at 3 series forum then its filled with those who wants modification.

Unfortunately, 5 series is for those who sit and discuss which option to tick when ordering the new car. In other words, those who can afford to tick most of the boxes without caring for retrofits!

Also F1X is only few years old and people are reluctant to play with it.

PS: I have ordered M5 wings, M5 front lip splitter and other bits otherwise I would have considered buying those LCI lights and perhaps giving it a go.
      03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #53
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
Should have just bought a car with xenons in the first place. Would have saved a lot of time.
When you buy used you don't have the option, and seen as 90% of BMW 5s in England of ex company cars they just have whats standard on the model line they pick usually and Xenon wasn't standard. Xenon cars are rare in the UK on the F10. I visited Germany recently and it was like the halogen was never even sold there all the F10s were Xenon. They love their Xenons wish we did here!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #54
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
BMW charge for everything unless you get M3 / M5 then you get most of the things already in the package.

Which xenon lights did you mention? The one on ebay? If you do not want to share it here then feel free to pm.

VAG is easier to modify and less coding required. BMW is totally different.
Also, if you look at 3 series forum then its filled with those who wants modification.

Unfortunately, 5 series is for those who sit and discuss which option to tick when ordering the new car. In other words, those who can afford to tick most of the boxes without caring for retrofits!

Also F1X is only few years old and people are reluctant to play with it.

PS: I have ordered M5 wings, M5 front lip splitter and other bits otherwise I would have considered buying those LCI lights and perhaps giving it a go.
You know I have no idea whether this guy has listed them on eBay but ill ask him I doubt it though. The ones I'm looking at are a healthy £600, I wouldn't pay the £900 incase it didn't work... as lets face it who will buy LCI headlights ?? only an enthusiast.

So I'm reluctant to just stick with HID kit which is due to be fitted saturday, turn the DRL off, then pretend its got Xenons as standard. Until summer when I play with the lights.

So you think the LCI headlights won't work? I can see why... also finding somebody who will have a go would be hard and probably cost more than the lights, then there is finding somebody who will also code it for me at the same time, as I can code but I wouldn't know what to code to get them working.

I saw some 19" alloys of a 5 Series Tourer and was thinking about buying them, but I'm sure theres something on this car which would stop me fitting them. Probably tyre pressure monitoring in the valves on the wheels like peugeots !!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #55
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
When you buy used you don't have the option, and seen as 90% of BMW 5s in England of ex company cars they just have whats standard on the model line they pick usually and Xenon wasn't standard. Xenon cars are rare in the UK on the F10. I visited Germany recently and it was like the halogen was never even sold there all the F10s were Xenon. They love their Xenons wish we did here!!!

Surprised at that, I thought xenon are more common now.
I would have thought xenons would have been standard on the F 10 pre LCI, but looks like I'm wrong.

I probably would change also to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #56
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You know I have no idea whether this guy has listed them on eBay but ill ask him I doubt it though. The ones I'm looking at are a healthy £600, I wouldn't pay the £900 incase it didn't work... as lets face it who will buy LCI headlights ?? only an enthusiast.

So I'm reluctant to just stick with HID kit which is due to be fitted saturday, turn the DRL off, then pretend its got Xenons as standard. Until summer when I play with the lights.

So you think the LCI headlights won't work? I can see why... also finding somebody who will have a go would be hard and probably cost more than the lights, then there is finding somebody who will also code it for me at the same time, as I can code but I wouldn't know what to code to get them working.

I saw some 19" alloys of a 5 Series Tourer and was thinking about buying them, but I'm sure theres something on this car which would stop me fitting them. Probably tyre pressure monitoring in the valves on the wheels like peugeots !!

If you do not want to buy the headlight, do you mind passing the details and I will see if I can get some funds to buy them.
It will be difficult to say whether they will fit or not but happy to give it a try (if you do not want to play with that idea).

I am looking to open my headlights and sticking with halo rings...but opening headlights are not easy fella.

Lastly, re: wheels. If you do not have Tyre pressure monitoring system (LCI cars) then you can change the wheels.
I think mine came with 17 or 18 and I am on 20 inch Ispiri wheels. I was not sure but when my car went to the dealer, I had compliments from two of their staff members and one of the customers asking what wheels were they.
      03-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #57
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
Surprised at that, I thought xenon are more common now.
I would have thought xenons would have been standard on the F 10 pre LCI, but looks like I'm wrong.

I probably would change also to be honest.
It definately was in Germany lucky for them. Most F10s I see in England are halogen the occasional F10 with Xenons drifts buy. The original buyer of my car was more interested in blowing £200+ on voice control which Is sh** and useless. However I do have adaptive dampers with rear wheel steer so it isn't that bad. Makes city driving easy peasy!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #58
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you do not want to buy the headlight, do you mind passing the details and I will see if I can get some funds to buy them.
It will be difficult to say whether they will fit or not but happy to give it a try (if you do not want to play with that idea).

I am looking to open my headlights and sticking with halo rings...but opening headlights are not easy fella.

Lastly, re: wheels. If you do not have Tyre pressure monitoring system (LCI cars) then you can change the wheels.
I think mine came with 17 or 18 and I am on 20 inch Ispiri wheels. I was not sure but when my car went to the dealer, I had compliments from two of their staff members and one of the customers asking what wheels were they.
Well I do want them its just I can't find anyone to fit them its a dilemma. If I bought them I could always come down to essex and we could have a go at it if you think its possible? I would compensate you for any time... so what do you think?

I hate the Halogens and the dreaded rings, surely if you can retrofit LCI Led Lights, retrofitting LCI Xenons should be easier (you would think). When you say gateway module what is that?

I've read on some coding forums of once the headlights being installed the indicators and rings don't work but they don't detail alot.

I need to make a decision by Friday either way because ill have to cancel wasting my time and money on the HID kit. Splitting the headlights is a job never meant to be performed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #59
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

P.s I'm gonna swing by the garage tomorrow check the headlights are still there and take some photos of them. Also here is a picture of the F10 back of the headlight, this guy on the forum in USA converted xenons to fit in his halogens by modification of the loom, however I don't much understand this as the photo is of an F10 rear headlight so I've asked the question.

Here is up close rear of the F10 halogen headlight.

Link to thread : http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501859
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #60
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I do want them its just I can't find anyone to fit them its a dilemma. If I bought them I could always come down to essex and we could have a go at it if you think its possible? I would compensate you for any time... so what do you think?

I hate the Halogens and the dreaded rings, surely if you can retrofit LCI Led Lights, retrofitting LCI Xenons should be easier (you would think). When you say gateway module what is that?

I've read on some coding forums of once the headlights being installed the indicators and rings don't work but they don't detail alot.

I need to make a decision by Friday either way because ill have to cancel wasting my time and money on the HID kit. Splitting the headlights is a job never meant to be performed.
My method would be different if I buy them.
I would be experimenting on the headlights while sitting at home and will only put them on the car when I have craked all the wiring.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do with physical installation as I am stuffed with retrofit works till next month.

If you wish to go for it, give it a go.

If you change your mind, pass me the details of the guy and I MAY purchase. Again I am not sure if they will fit and will have to do more reasearch. And I am not sure if I will have funds, as I have spent another 1.5K on the car this month. £500 in on M5 wings, £200 on M5 lip for front bumper, £350 on Gladen speakers/ under seats and going to get amp for approx £500. I am glad that my wife does not check my bank statement.

Good luck if you wish to purchase them mate. I look forward to see them on your car.
      03-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #61
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:

My method would be different if I buy them.
I would be experimenting on the headlights while sitting at home and will only put them on the car when I have craked all the wiring.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do with physical installation as I am stuffed with retrofit works till next month.

If you wish to go for it, give it a go.

If you change your mind, pass me the details of the guy and I MAY purchase. Again I am not sure if they will fit and will have to do more reasearch. And I am not sure if I will have funds, as I have spent another 1.5K on the car this month. 500 in on M5 wings, 200 on M5 lip for front bumper, 350 on Gladen speakers/ under seats and going to get amp for approx 500. I am glad that my wife does not check my bank statement.

Good luck if you wish to purchase them mate. I look forward to see them on your car.
I'm checking out the connectors on the rear of the lights after work I'll upload photos... if the connection is the same (I doubt) it might be easy. If not it will need a form of a converter which I'll have to look for. Thanks anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #62
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm checking out the connectors on the rear of the lights after work I'll upload photos... if the connection is the same (I doubt) it might be easy. If not it will need a form of a converter which I'll have to look for. Thanks anyway
Connectors are same. Its the wiring allocation in those pins and the modules which are present at the bottom of headlight which differs (other than many others physical differences).
      03-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #63
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Connectors are same. Its the wiring allocation in those pins and the modules which are present at the bottom of headlight which differs (other than many others physical differences).
I went there today, this guy doesn't have a phone number he's willing to give (generally a scrappy person) and he wasn't there... they couldn't find the headlights either. They said he's either hidden them or sold them. So I'm waiting on him to come back. They've got the F11 down to the chassis, they bought it from an insurance company after they removed the CAS module to inspect I don't know why, it was in a rear end collision. Ill pop back in tomorrow.

Part of me thinks buy them, take the bumper off remove the old headlights plug them in and see what happens. There isn't a different footwell module for this car is there? you would think that BMW has put computers in each headlight which when you plug it in it says "hey im xenon" to the footwell module then it adjusts accordingly. If it doesn't work remove them and probably sell them on for more money if anything.

The other part of me says fit the HID kit, and forget about the dull halo rings until summer.

I've have searched the whole entire web for somebody who has fitted LCI Xenons to the F10 and nobody has. I can't even find somebody who themselves has actually retrofitted normal Xenons which were the option on this car as surely it would be a similar process to that. Anybody find anything on that?

Time is running out as the HID kit goes in Saturday!!!
The headlights also might have been sold!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #64
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I went there today, this guy doesn't have a phone number he's willing to give (generally a scrappy person) and he wasn't there... they couldn't find the headlights either. They said he's either hidden them or sold them. So I'm waiting on him to come back. They've got the F11 down to the chassis, they bought it from an insurance company after they removed the CAS module to inspect I don't know why, it was in a rear end collision. Ill pop back in tomorrow.

Part of me thinks buy them, take the bumper off remove the old headlights plug them in and see what happens. There isn't a different footwell module for this car is there? you would think that BMW has put computers in each headlight which when you plug it in it says "hey im xenon" to the footwell module then it adjusts accordingly. If it doesn't work remove them and probably sell them on for more money if anything.

The other part of me says fit the HID kit, and forget about the dull halo rings until summer.

I've have searched the whole entire web for somebody who has fitted LCI Xenons to the F10 and nobody has. I can't even find somebody who themselves has actually retrofitted normal Xenons which were the option on this car as surely it would be a similar process to that. Anybody find anything on that?

Time is running out as the HID kit goes in Saturday!!!
The headlights also might have been sold!
There is a good reason that nobody has tried it as you can fit hid kit in halogen projectors and forget about rings.

My plan is to dismantle headlight and construct something on these line
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...lear-lens.html

Although he used xenon headlight to get that whereas I will be using halogen headlights. At the moment I am struggling to find size of those rings in mm.
      03-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #65
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There is a good reason that nobody has tried it as you can fit hid kit in halogen projectors and forget about rings.

My plan is to dismantle headlight and construct something on these line
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...lear-lens.html

Although he used xenon headlight to get that whereas I will be using halogen headlights. At the moment I am struggling to find size of those rings in mm.
That thread is really interesting

I'm interested in these : http://goo.gl/yS2hmv

They've started appearing on eBay and I just wonder what would happen if you fitted it and coded it under DRL_MODUS to Xenon. That contains the head sink and LED. If I'm not mistaken under the cover on the headlight photo further up is a similar one of the above, just without the big heat sink?

What do you think?

With Halogen F10 lights going for peanuts I'm tempted to buy a pair and disassemble them and replace and solder the LEDs, then buy a battery and test it before putting on the car.

Watch enough of these videos and they give you an idea of how headlights come apart and what to do: http://goo.gl/V0PtYB
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #66
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That thread is really interesting

I'm interested in these : http://goo.gl/yS2hmv

They've started appearing on eBay and I just wonder what would happen if you fitted it and coded it under DRL_MODUS to Xenon. That contains the head sink and LED. If I'm not mistaken under the cover on the headlight photo further up is a similar one of the above, just without the big heat sink?

What do you think?

With Halogen F10 lights going for peanuts I'm tempted to buy a pair and disassemble them and replace and solder the LEDs, then buy a battery and test it before putting on the car.

Watch enough of these videos and they give you an idea of how headlights come apart and what to do: http://goo.gl/V0PtYB
The one which you linked goes under the xenon headlights but in pairs.
So one for each halo ring which means three LEDs for each ring. If you notice the thread which I posted, OP is using one of those to stabilize headlight and other one is still installed on the headlight (which you mentioned in your last post).

Now comparing that to standard halogen headlight. I believe standard headlight has just one LED.

So 3 LED vs 1 LED, no wonder why halogen headlight is less bright.

I had E90 before and I had fitted LCI halogen headlights and then LCI xenons. My observation was that material of ring on halogen headlight was different than xenon one. No matter what Watt you use, halogen headlight rings were not good carrier of light.
Whereas xeonon headlight rings were able to carry the light upto 80W and they were good. I hope that is not the case on F10 and hence my preference would be to install after market ring.

Part of me says that I have HID kit in headlight and its at least 80% better than halogen headlight and perhaps 20% poor compared to OEM xenon (in terms of light). So why wasting money on OEM xenons, but then part of me things if I get them at reasonable price, I may give it a try.