2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M4 compared to our 5 series?

05-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I would rather just take off work and vacation for a year straight if I'm going dump that much money into a weekend joy ride. That's just me though. In reality, I'd rather keep my $100k instead of buying a Porsche that will see maybe 2k miles a year.

If i'm stupid rich, then I'll buy an Aston Martin or something more exclusive. If you look at M4/3 drivers, it's usually their primary vehicle and they are upper middle class. Also probably not married.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Thanks fellows. I love cars and I want a car I can just modify like everyone else. But a weekend warrior! I am married but my boys are all teens now with their own cars. I'm in my 40's but I'm still a kid at heart. From my username I come from the import world from car showS to drag racing on the track. So my 535i will be and is in the process of being decked out but I've always had in the back of my mind if I should have a coupe or something hence why I've been lurking in the 4 series forum. With the weekend coming up I'll be visiting the dealer just to check out the M4 to see what everyone keeps saying about the interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
Lieutenant
Rep

For the budget, I would highly recommend you look at:

1. Corvette Z06
2. Jag F Type
3. Porsche Cayman GTS, 911, etc...
4. Audi R8

The M4 and Audi R8 are very exciting everyday car that you can take to the track on the weekend. The Jag, Porsche and Z06 are better at giving you weekend fun. Of course, my heart lies with the Aston Martin but it's a hard car to keep.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #26
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
If said married guy can afford a 535 for dd duty, and another fun toy car, I wouldn't do an M4. Too similar.

I recommend a Porsche 911 GTS.
I like how you think... but our CPO'd 535i parks next to a 911 Targa 4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Definitely gonna look into the Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #28
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

I haven't driven one but have sat in the M4 a few times while my car was in for service. It's very bland and boring on the inside, like other 3/4 Series cars which is a shame.

I'm so spoiled by the interior on my F10 it really dampens my excitement for an M4 or 435 when I look at the pros/cons side by side. I recently had a 435 for a loaner and it's a blast to drive, but for 60k, you'd think they could at least TRY on the interior...
      05-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

The fact that the discussion in this thread mainly focuses on the interior of the car and not the performance or driving characteristics tells you all you need to know about the intended audience for the M3/4 compared to the 5 series.
Appreciate 3
      05-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
The fact that the discussion in this thread mainly focuses on the interior of the car and not the performance or driving characteristics tells you all you need to know about the intended audience for the M3/4 compared to the 5 series.
I think it's more because it's such a huge step backwards, it's almost unforgivable. Once you're used to an F10 or higher, it's hard to go back.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #31
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
I think it's more because it's such a huge step backwards, it's almost unforgivable. Once you're used to an F10 or higher, it's hard to go back.
I guess it depends on what you consider a step backwards. Not really sure how the top of the line 3/4 series which will blow the doors off the 5 series performance wise is a step back. Its simply different and geared towards a different buyer.

Perhaps moving from a 5 to an M3 is a step backwards in terms of luxury but its a step forward in terms of performance and fun factor. It depends which features you value more in a car.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you consider a step backwards. Not really sure how the top of the line 3/4 series which will blow the doors off the 5 series performance wise is a step back. Its simply different and geared towards a different buyer.

Perhaps moving from a 5 to an M3 is a step backwards in terms of luxury but its a step forward in terms of performance and fun factor. It depends which features you value more in a car.
I was going to post similar thoughts. "Different" is also how I define an M3/4 to the 5-series.

I've tried the M4, simply to get a feel for how the car stacks up. If I was in that market, I'd be there in an instant. I drive a 5-series because it fits my current criteria for what I want from a car.

Also, would we really want them being near identical in the cabin? Personally I like the 3/4-series interiors, just requires the right trim to set it off, M3/4 subtleties in trim do just that for me. Besides, if I was buying one it would be for other reasons.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #33
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Going from 3 series or below to M4

Interior : Upgrade
Exterior: Upgrade
Performance: Upgrade
Price: 20-30k more

Going from 535 to M4

Interior: Major Downgrade
Exterior: Upgrade(I guess higher trims with M Sport are subjective)
Performance: Upgrade
Price: ~$15k more

See the problem? It wouldn't be a problem if it was just slightly worse, but it is a lot worse. If you want the M4 interiors to be tolerable, You pretty much have to spend thousands upgrading it via options and packages. Even then, it can't change the fundamental clunky design, just the materials. Basically, polishing a turd. You spend 100% of your time driving inside the car. It's not something you can ignore. It's also not something you can do much about unlike the exterior and performance.

I know a lot of BMW fans and none of them will say the 3/4 series interiors look good or even comparable to Audi A4 or the Benz C series.That's my opinion and I'm sure most other 5/6/7 series owners agree. M4 is a great car, but it's a hard sell to someone that's used to the interior quality of the F10 or better.

It's like dating hot girls all your life and "upgrading" to someone that's unattractive but she's great at sex and financially well off. Sure it's an upgrade overall, but man you really need to love everything else to commit. With cars, they can't say no as long as you have the cash. So why pick one that's ugly inside when you can have it all buying another car within the same price range?
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #34
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think you are being overly harsh on the M3 interior. You are making it seem like its the quality of a chevy or something. I personally think it looks great.

Ill also say that when looking for a new car, the look of the interior is pretty low on my list of needs compared to how the car drives. Everyone has different priorities and places value on different aspects.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #35
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
With all due respect this is way over the top.

F10 interior is better than an F82 for sure. However it's not like night and day.

A full leather with carbon interior is a very very nice place to be. I had an F10 very recently and the M4 seats and M dials are much better. Yes everything else interior rise is F10 all the way but the F82 is hardly a drab plastic paupers residence

As said previously, it seems the whole thread is hijacked by interior ambiance and figment, if this is what the OP wants might be best staying at M5/6s.

M4 is a great sporty DD car.

My one piece if useful advice OP (after my rant) would be if it were my money and I was keeping a 5 series as a DD, I would not get the M4 for weekends only. Something like the upcoming M2 or a Cayman S/GTS would give much more of a difference.

Good luck, nice choice to have!
      05-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #36
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
With all due respect this is way over the top.

F10 interior is better than an F82 for sure. However it's not like night and day.

A full leather with carbon interior is a very very nice place to be. I had an F10 very recently and the M4 seats and M dials are much better. Yes everything else interior rise is F10 all the way but the F82 is hardly a drab plastic paupers residence

As said previously, it seems the whole thread is hijacked by interior ambiance and figment, if this is what the OP wants might be best staying at M5/6s.

M4 is a great sporty DD car.

My one piece if useful advice OP (after my rant) would be if it were my money and I was keeping a 5 series as a DD, I would not get the M4 for weekends only. Something like the upcoming M2 or a Cayman S/GTS would give much more of a difference.

Good luck, nice choice to have!
+1. It's funny, one of the things I like about the F10 (that I'm shopping for now) is how familiar the interior is to my F30 and my wife's F15. Yes, more like the F15, but it is not night and day at all. Truth is, the F10, from a design and tech perspective (the screen), is a step backwards. Not in materials of course compared to an F30, but the screen, mostly. But overall, when I drove a few F10's, a day at a time in a couple different moderately equipped loaners, not just quick test drives, the similarity to my F30 was one thing I noticed, and enjoyed. Yes it's overall better, but certainly not a different realm like some of the talk on this thread has been. And I'm talking about a 335 not even the M4, which i suspect is at least a little better still (seats if nothing else).
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Forget about speeding and racing.... the M3, and M4 are just a dream to drive. So perfectly damped and buttoned down, gobs of smooth, effortless acceleration. Its a perfect drive.... and relatively comfortable too.

As comfy and roomy as a 5er? No, but you can't even begin to compare the way they drive. The M3/M4 is just about as perfect as a car gets.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #38
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Forget about speeding and racing.... the M3, and M4 are just a dream to drive. So perfectly damped and buttoned down, gobs of smooth, effortless acceleration. Its a perfect drive.... and relatively comfortable too.

As comfy and roomy as a 5er? No, but you can't even begin to compare the way they drive. The M3/M4 is just about as perfect as a car gets.
So perfect for a weekend warrior or just to cruise around and let her rip on open country straight aways!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #39
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

So perfect for a weekend warrior or just to cruise around and let her rip on open country straight aways!
I think the latter depends on how smooth the roads are where you live lol. Here in the Northeast, winter's damage still remains and one of the things I never thought I would care about, and I'm almost embarrassed to care about, is how much better the 535 loaner I had (base suspension and 18" wheels with big sidewall) handled the potholes and mid-construction roads than my 335 and our X5 as well (with 20" wheels). Signs of getting older I guess lol. Suddenly I care about smooth suspensions as much as firm, and my wife is shopping for a good recliner for my 40th.. WTF?
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #40
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Haha I'm 43 and I'm not at that point Looking for a recliner LOL! I need firm suspension cause as an old skool racer I gotta feel the road. It's just how I know I'm connected to the car.....weird shit!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Haha I'm 43 and I'm not at that point Looking for a recliner LOL! I need firm suspension cause as an old skool racer I gotta feel the road. It's just how I know I'm connected to the car.....weird shit!
I'm not really either, not entirely at least.. But our roads here are terrible, so it was easy to notice the difference. I appreciated it over some chopped up, not yet done with construction road... but when I get my 5, it'll still have bigger m sport wheels and lower profile tires and most likely DHP, depending only on whether I can find one if I buy CPO or if I order and lease, it'll definitely have it.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #42
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I'm not really either, not entirely at least.. But our roads here are terrible, so it was easy to notice the difference. I appreciated it over some chopped up, not yet done with construction road... but when I get my 5, it'll still have bigger m sport wheels and lower profile tires and most likely DHP, depending only on whether I can find one if I buy CPO or if I order and lease, it'll definitely have it.
Sweet... let us know when u find one!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #43
CaliCanadian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 A4 / 2015 Alpina B6

+1 on the F-Type.. A very fun car.

Also, was thinking about this earlier today. Have a friend who drives an M4 and always complains about how cheap the interior feels. Long post on this, but just my point of view. As we all obviously know the M4 is just meant to be the high performance version of the regular 4 series, with the 4 series being on the lower end of BMW's model line-up. Wouldn't particularly make sense for them to do a rehaul of the 4 series interior for the high performance version, since that's exactly what it is. Just a high performance version of the regular 4. Was in a 528i loaner recently and was definitely impressed by the interior. Huge divide between 2/3/5 and the 5/6/7, which makes sense. Stock M3 is only $12,000 more than a barebones 528i, and I doubt people cross-shop those two. While I do agree that the interior on the M3/M4 is relatively cheap feeling, especially for the price, it's not meant to be an ultra refined luxury version of either, the money goes towards the engine and everything else that makes an 'M' an 'M'. Just my two cents. Personally, if I had an M3 or M4 I would be having too much fun driving the thing to be complaining about plastics or cheap buttons haha. Moving from a 5/6/7 to a 2/3/4 in terms of interior refinement is a pretty big hit though. Makes a lot of sense to me, probably will just seem like a ramble to most.

That being said, I think for those with money and want an M vehicle yet a nice, quality interior, it gives them an incentive to move onto the M5/M6 which definitely isn't a bad choice by any means.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #44
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCanadian
+1 on the F-Type.. A very fun car.

Also, was thinking about this earlier today. Have a friend who drives an M4 and always complains about how cheap the interior feels. Long post on this, but just my point of view. As we all obviously know the M4 is just meant to be the high performance version of the regular 4 series, with the 4 series being on the lower end of BMW's model line-up. Wouldn't particularly make sense for them to do a rehaul of the 4 series interior for the high performance version, since that's exactly what it is. Just a high performance version of the regular 4. Was in a 528i loaner recently and was definitely impressed by the interior. Huge divide between 2/3/5 and the 5/6/7, which makes sense. Stock M3 is only $12,000 more than a barebones 528i, and I doubt people cross-shop those two. While I do agree that the interior on the M3/M4 is relatively cheap feeling, especially for the price, it's not meant to be an ultra refined luxury version of either, the money goes towards the engine and everything else that makes an 'M' an 'M'. Just my two cents. Personally, if I had an M3 or M4 I would be having too much fun driving the thing to be complaining about plastics or cheap buttons haha. Moving from a 5/6/7 to a 2/3/4 in terms of interior refinement is a pretty big hit though. Makes a lot of sense to me, probably will just seem like a ramble to most.

That being said, I think for those with money and want an M vehicle yet a nice, quality interior, it gives them an incentive to move onto the M5/M6 which definitely isn't a bad choice by any means.
Well said. I think the main issue is this, the price tag has grown into a different territory where people care more about the interior too. I doubt many cared when the E46 M3 went for $46k, even if 46k back then was a lot more than it is now, it was only 6 more than the 328 E46 I had (my first BMW). But now, the M4 is in another stratosphere, and for that matter so is the 3 and 4.. (my 335 was 14k more than said E46 M3)... So maybe buyers of all have a gripe about the interiors. Personally, I've never been disappointed in the interior of my F30. Could it be better? Sure. But it's hardly as bad as some like to say it is... I've never really bought much into the whole "quality plastics" argument. I get that there is a difference, but neither good nor bad plastic is leather, so who cares as long as it doesn't look or feel like a Tonka truck (the plastic ones of course, not the old school metal ones ).
Appreciate 1