2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media The first time you saw an F10

01-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
The first time you saw an F10

I was thinking back to the first time I saw an F10, back in March of 2010. Even then, I knew I wanted one, and it took me about two and a half years to make it happen.

Below, you'll see a YouTube video I published back in 2010 with my first impressions. What were yours?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Honestly I never thought about the F10 until I actually bought one lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Honestly I never thought about the F10 until I actually bought one lol
Fair enough, but when you did see it, what did you think? What made you choose that car over the others you might have been looking at?

I had owned an E39 (528i) at the time, and the E60 never really turned my crank, so to speak. When I saw the F10, I immediately thought that that is exactly what a 5 series should look like. The lines, the luxury, and the features were exactly what I wanted. I must say that two years later when I test drove one for the first time, I wasn't as awed as with the styling (I still had that E39), but that test drive did convince me to order my F10 with the dynamic suspension and active role stabilization, and this turned out to be a really good thing for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Fair enough, but when you did see it, what did you think? What made you choose that car over the others you might have been looking at?

I had owned an E39 (528i) at the time, and the E60 never really turned my crank, so to speak. When I saw the F10, I immediately thought that that is exactly what a 5 series should look like. The lines, the luxury, and the features were exactly what I wanted. I must say that two years later when I test drove one for the first time, I wasn't as awed as with the styling (I still had that E39), but that test drive did convince me to order my F10 with the dynamic suspension and active role stabilization, and this turned out to be a really good thing for me.
when i was in the market all i knew about BMW's was there was so many models. so i pretty much narrowed it down to a full size sedan which at that time came up as the F10. as far as how many different F10 models i had no clue other than i wanted to make sure it had a turbo! the 2nd thing was it had to be black. and the 3rd thing after searching the forum was i was in love with the cinnamon interior. when i found the car the last thing that sold me was the OEM liquid black 356's the car i found came with! not knowing the spec of the engine, if it was Xdrive or RWD? the crazy part is i bought the car online without actually looking at it in person. so i took a chance. all the paperwork over the phone worked out and i was off to the dealer to pick it up! i had no plans whatsoever to modify this car but after joining this forum it opened my eyes to the many things you can do from exterior, performance and so on.

5 years later she now looks like this!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

It wasn't the F10 so much as it was my short list when I had to replace my Lincoln LS (owning an orphan car is a terrible thing!). My requirements were RWD, dual exhaust, NAV, 4-dooors, at least 300hp (the only FMC RWD car is the Mustang; no thanks) and not GM (hate the intrusive OnStar) or Chrysler (too cheap and their future is always in jeopardy). I wasn't sold on Genesis and as Audi looks too much like VW, I was left with Jag, BMW and Mercedes. Honestly, the BMW won out because of the placement of the infotainment/NAV screen. The LSes screen required looking down toward the console so I wanted one more in my line-of-sight. The Jag and Merc's were too low so the BMW won. Body style was a very close second and the F10 BMW wins hands-down. Just about every car on the road has at least one bad viewing angle; not so with the F10 (and most post-Bangle BMW's). I have yet to find a bad angle to view the car.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

It was the summer of 2012 and I was studying for the bar exam. I had driven my boss's BMW 3xx and it made me want a BMW. I remember going to the BMW website and playing around with the custom builder tool after I was done studying for the night. I remember picking out a 5xx as the car I wanted because I wanted a midsize sedan but I didn't bother learning all of the details of the car because I knew getting a BMW was still a ways away.

Winter of 2018, I finally test drove a 528. Told the dealer I wanted to test drive a 535 before I made up my mind but he didn't have a 535 in stock at that moment. April of 2019, he calls with a 535 to test drive.

I now have a 2016 535i xdrive in my garage and while I would rather have an M5, I will never be able to afford one on my government salary.
Appreciate 1
cdmulders310.00
      01-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
...I will never be able to afford one on my government salary.
We got out of the GS scale around the mid to late 90's and got our own pay scale (ATC-). Before we switched over I was a GS14; and not a a supervisor! The top was ATC13 and we had the daily ops to meet that level (we were handling 2.1 million aircraft yearly at SoCal TRACON) then 9/11 happened. The FAA took the opportunity to eliminate the 13 level and top the scale at 12. We were capped at Congresses pay though with premiums the FAA was very good to us! I also am (fired/retired; we must stop controlling at 56) under CSRS; that helps the retirement!

Use your gummint contacts to your advantage! The private sector pays more; depending on your job.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I had just sold my C300 and was looking for a new car. I first went to check out the E350 but after driving it, there wasn't that much power. Then a few dealerships down I saw the 535i that I eventually bought. Took out for a test drive and really enjoyed the N55 motor. I liked the styling and the interior was different so had to learn it all. Then 2 years later, upgraded to the M5.
Appreciate 2