2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes BMW - OEM Wheels - Supplier

10-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

BMW - OEM Wheels - Supplier

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get a set of BMW wheels at a discount? The dealer has a winter set comprising 4 style 281 wheels (18"), 4 - 245-45R18 Dunlop Run Flat snow tires, TPMS monitors, valve stems, centre caps, mounting and balancing for $3,800.00. The SA thought he could sell the set for $3,200. I said I should be able to buy the set for around $2,800.00.

I can get the tires from The Tire Rack for $1,000, but finding the style 281 wheels is proving more difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know where to get a set of BMW wheels at a discount? The dealer has a winter set comprising 4 style 281 wheels (18"), 4 - 245-45R18 Dunlop Run Flat snow tires, TPMS monitors, valve stems, centre caps, mounting and balancing for $3,800.00. The SA thought he could sell the set for $3,200. I said I should be able to buy the set for around $2,800.00.

I can get the tires from The Tire Rack for $1,000, but finding the style 281 wheels is proving more difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Personally I wouldn't go though the dealership for a winter set of tires. At those prices you could be buying wheels that are a lot better quality. There are a lot better and more affordable routes out there for a winter set up.

If you decide to opt out of the OEM wheels let me know and I can help show you some options I think you would like
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
Personally I wouldn't go though the dealership for a winter set of tires. At those prices you could be buying wheels that are a lot better quality. There are a lot better and more affordable routes out there for a winter set up.

If you decide to opt out of the OEM wheels let me know and I can help show you some options I think you would like
HI NG, What do you recommend? I like a simple silver spoke wheel similar to style 281 but it must be a good quality manufacturer so I don't have to deal with rim leaks or out of balance/out of round issues over the life of the wheels. I think I'm pretty set on the Dunlop SP 3D winter tires - they seem to be the best rated. Someone on one of the forums says the Canadian cars don't have a wheel sensors for the TPMS system, but I'm not sure if that is accurate as the owners manual says that Canadian cars can provide the tire pressure readings for each wheel, which I'm sure requires a monitor in each wheel (as opposed to a computational system based on tire diameter). I'd also like to make sure I have the correct offset to match the style 281 wheels.

What are your suggestions?
      10-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HI NG, What do you recommend? I like a simple silver spoke wheel similar to style 281 but it must be a good quality manufacturer so I don't have to deal with rim leaks or out of balance/out of round issues over the life of the wheels. I think I'm pretty set on the Dunlop SP 3D winter tires - they seem to be the best rated. Someone on one of the forums says the Canadian cars don't have a wheel sensors for the TPMS system, but I'm not sure if that is accurate as the owners manual says that Canadian cars can provide the tire pressure readings for each wheel, which I'm sure requires a monitor in each wheel (as opposed to a computational system based on tire diameter). I'd also like to make sure I have the correct offset to match the style 281 wheels.

What are your suggestions?
Here are two of our top sellers for winter wheels.

Both are manufactured by Avant Garde and are great wheels. Both are build using a low pressure cast method which is the same method used for The 281 style wheels but these will be far more affordable.

The first wheels is the Avant Garde M359. The sizes needed are a 18x8.5 ET35. You can either run that all around or go with a staggered set up with a 18x9.5 et33 rear wheel. This setup will be similar to the 281 wheel fitment with a little wider wheel.

The second wheel is an Avant Garde M310. You can also run a staggered or square set up with front size 18x8 et35 and rear size 18x9 et38. These might need spacers to give you a more flush fit though. The match the 281 style wheels you will need a 5mm spacer in the front and rear. If you want a more flush fitment go with a 10mm.

You should have tpms sensors. To check you can look at the valve stem. If it is silver/aluminum it has tpms. If it is black/plastic then it does not.

If you have anymore question do not hesitate to ask Let me know if you want me to work out a quote for you on any setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here are two of our top sellers for winter wheels.

Both are manufactured by Avant Garde and are great wheels. Both are build using a low pressure cast method which is the same method used for The 281 style wheels but these will be far more affordable.

The first wheels is the Avant Garde M359. The sizes needed are a 18x8.5 ET35. You can either run that all around or go with a staggered set up with a 18x9.5 et33 rear wheel. This setup will be similar to the 281 wheel fitment with a little wider wheel.

The second wheel is an Avant Garde M310. You can also run a staggered or square set up with front size 18x8 et35 and rear size 18x9 et38. These might need spacers to give you a more flush fit though. The match the 281 style wheels you will need a 5mm spacer in the front and rear. If you want a more flush fitment go with a 10mm.

You should have tpms sensors. To check you can look at the valve stem. If it is silver/aluminum it has tpms. If it is black/plastic then it does not.

If you have anymore question do not hesitate to ask Let me know if you want me to work out a quote for you on any setup.
Thanks. Do you have any wheels out of the box that have the 30mm offset as specified for the style 281? I'd be running a square set.

I'll be sure to call you at the store for pricing when I get to that stage as I don't think you are allowed to quote prices for selling on the forum.
      10-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Do you have any wheels out of the box that have the 30mm offset as specified for the style 281? I'd be running a square set.

I'll be sure to call you at the store for pricing when I get to that stage as I don't think you are allowed to quote prices for selling on the forum.
Unfortunately I do not have a wheel exactly at those specs. The best bet would go with the M310s 18x8 et 35 and run a spacer or run the M359 18x8.5 without a spacer. Will be a little wider but will not make too much of a difference on how the tire sits.

Sure, you can give me call at (626) 945-9966 or I can PM a quote
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have a wheel exactly at those specs. The best bet would go with the M310s 18x8 et 35 and run a spacer or run the M359 18x8.5 without a spacer. Will be a little wider but will not make too much of a difference on how the tire sits.

Sure, you can give me call at (626) 945-9966 or I can PM a quote
Can you PM a quote for the closest fit wheels? Thanks.