2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New Countdown

03-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeNige View Post
Here is the 2nd part of the 5 series history lesson

The E28

In 1981 BMW introduced the 2nd generation 5 series, the E28. Styling changes to this model included revised headlights, thicker rubber bumper surrounds and large rectangular taillights.

The E28 received the first BMW diesel engine ever, a 2.4 litre turbocharged 6 cylinder unit (the M21) Fitted in the 524td the 114 hp engine produced the fastest and most silent diesel car at the time. Top speed was 112 mph but I cant find any acceleration data. At 85 bhp tonne it was probably not that exciting. Comparisons with my 520d on order are as follows. This shows what improvements have been made over the years and what fantastic performance we get these days.

Here is a lovely example of the E28. What a pretty car !

E28 524td / F10 520d

2.4 litre / 2.0 litre
114 bhp / 184 bhp
112 mph / 145 mph
85 bhp / tonne / 108 bhp /tonne

In 1982 the 5 series had its first automatic gearbox, a 3-speed automatic offered in the 528e . By 1984, the 4-speed version was introduced to both models. In 1986, the EH version was available in the 535i. It featured a 3-mode switch: E, S, 3-2-1. A long way from the 8 speed paddle shifting box on my new car

Here is a lovely example of the E28 What a pretty car !
Beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #24
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajmuntz View Post

But we drive our cars around with the reg plate on. Risk seems the same to me?
Indeed, I had a bike cloned and the numberplate had never been on a photo in the public domain.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #25
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
The bikes (and the car) look great. How do decide which of the bikes to ride?

Nige
The K1300 is the main bike. The HP2 is not a great touring bike as you have to use a rucksack (tail is non load bearing). Having said that the HP2 has done a tour to the Dolomites, and it is lovely to ride.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #26
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D M Sport E60

Change in pick up day

After discussions with my dealer, pick up day is brought forward by 2 days to Saturday 22nd March

So only 8 days to go. I will be traveling abroad next week on business so when I get back on Friday evening I will have only one more sleep (or lack of sleep) before I get the new beast.

I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #27
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Only 1 week to go

Only 7 days to go to the pick up so lets have a look at the next part of the 5 series story, the 3rd generation E 34.

This car was sold from February 1988 to 1995 and in my opinion was one the great leap forwards in design and specification to date. The styling is completely changed from the preceding E 12 and E 28. Not only did it start to look like the streamlined 5 series we know today but it was equipped with a wide range of engines, gearboxes, extras and options. So the guys buying a 5 series 20+ years ago had the difficult choices we make today. If this forum would have been running then I guess we would all recognise the posts and questions.

Some of the features included 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, automatic stability control (ASC) or traction control (ASC+T), boot-mounted 6-disc CD changer, cruise control, fully automatic dual-zone air conditioning, heated seats, seat and mirror memory, heated headlight and fog-light washers with larger reservoir, Servotronic power steering, sport suspension upgrade. These all seem run of the mill to us today but this was novel and luxurious approach to this mid size executive saloon.

The BMW E34 offered an advanced on-board computer integrated into the centre console and dash cluster. The computer could be set to calculate average fuel consumption, average speed, fuel range, estimated time of arrival, and distance remaining to destination. The computer could also display basic information such as outside temperature, date, and time. BMW on-board computers of this generation also allowed a numerical pass code to be set and required to start the vehicle. (I would not like to have to do that today, and just compare it modern keyless entry systems).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #28
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Only 7 days to go to the pick up so lets have a look at the next part of the 5 series story, the 3rd generation E 34.

This car was sold from February 1988 to 1995 and in my opinion was one the great leap forwards in design and specification to date. The styling is completely changed from the preceding E 12 and E 28. Not only did it start to look like the streamlined 5 series we know today but it was equipped with a wide range of engines, gearboxes, extras and options. So the guys buying a 5 series 20+ years ago had the difficult choices we make today. If this forum would have been running then I guess we would all recognise the posts and questions.

Some of the features included 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, automatic stability control (ASC) or traction control (ASC+T), boot-mounted 6-disc CD changer, cruise control, fully automatic dual-zone air conditioning, heated seats, seat and mirror memory, heated headlight and fog-light washers with larger reservoir, Servotronic power steering, sport suspension upgrade. These all seem run of the mill to us today but this was novel and luxurious approach to this mid size executive saloon.

The BMW E34 offered an advanced on-board computer integrated into the centre console and dash cluster. The computer could be set to calculate average fuel consumption, average speed, fuel range, estimated time of arrival, and distance remaining to destination. The computer could also display basic information such as outside temperature, date, and time. BMW on-board computers of this generation also allowed a numerical pass code to be set and required to start the vehicle. (I would not like to have to do that today, and just compare it modern keyless entry systems).
Agree, it was a great car. My Uncle hired it for his Wedding in 1990(Just about to sit my GCSE Exams), it was black and it was the first time that I ever sat in a BMW. Que 24 years later.....

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The E28 had this sort of OBC and security code feature. I remember a friend with an E28 528i (1986 model) forgetting his code, bit of a pain until he got his act together.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Only 4 days to go

I had a call from the dealer yesterday to confirm Saturday pick up.

Then today he calls and asks if I want the sevice pack. I have left this decision until now and I don't know what to do do

Is it worth it? I will have to pay the full price (£475) as it was excluded from my negotiated price. I do about 15,000 miles per year so in the 5 year period about 45,000 miles. How many services for that mileage and how much would they cost?

Advice please

Nigel
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Then today he calls and asks if I want the sevice pack. I have left this decision until now and I don't know what to do do

Is it worth it? I will have to pay the full price (£475) as it was excluded from my negotiated price. I do about 15,000 miles per year so in the 5 year period about 45,000 miles. How many services for that mileage and how much would they cost?

Advice please

Nigel
With that sort of mileage its a no brainier. The service will of course depend on how you drive avg: every 18k, you get payback on 2 services.
Good for resale too.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:36 AM   #32
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

3 days to go

Really getting excited now but need to concentrate on the 5 series story for you.

E39 (1995–2004)

This is the the 4th generation of the 5 series and it now really starts to look like the modern car. I think it is because the kidney grill is more pronounced and forward, separrated from the signature enclosed 4 headlight system. The clean line with apronounced long crease line through the door handles is repeated on all fiture generations.

Again the car grows in size and a comparison is as follows

1st generation E 12 / 4th generation E 39 / 6th generation F 10

Wheelbase 2.6m / 2.83m / 2.97m
Length 4.6m / 4.78m / 4.9m
Width 1.69m / 1.8m / 1.86

The E 39 was designed with an entire in-car entertainment system (Radio Function, Navigation System, Television and Telecommunications systems) is based on a very flexible automotive computer system.

On the new F10 cars this electronic revolution has taken a major step forward. On board computers are much faster and the options extensive. If only money was no object you can have all the toys you could wish for. In the future what will we get?

Anyway here is the E39
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #33
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #34
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:

Advice please

Nigel
Nigel,
15kpa for 5 years is 75k not 45k
The service pack is a no brainer if you plan to do two services, or even if you sell it on, it widens the appeal of your car for the future. You only have to look at the service pack that has been on Minis for many more years. One sold without the "TLC" pack was worth significantly less on resale
PS Mine was added into the finance, it may be too late for you now though
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #35
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Nigel,
15kpa for 5 years is 75k not 45k
The service pack is a no brainer if you plan to do two services, or even if you sell it on, it widens the appeal of your car for the future. You only have to look at the service pack that has been on Minis for many more years. One sold without the "TLC" pack was worth significantly less on resale
PS Mine was added into the finance, it may be too late for you now though
Piers,

I'm glad you spotted my deliberate mistake. I think I was having brain fade (I will post a photo of my local surroundings later on, so you will see how I am trying to keep cool before pick up on Saturday)

In any case many thanks for your advice. I will buy the service pack as I can agree with your logic.

Nigel
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #36
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Don't buy the service pack on finance - defeats the object. Buy it separate, we did.
We bought it on the day we picked up the car and paid for everything.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #37
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

2 days to go

Quote:
Piers,

I'm glad you spotted my deliberate mistake. I think I was having brain fade (I will post a photo of my local surroundings later on, so you will see how I am trying to keep cool before pick up on Saturday)

In any case many thanks for your advice. I will buy the service pack as I can agree with your logic.

Nigel

As I mentioned I am really getting excited waiting for the big day. So I needed to cool down a bit and have managed that by travelling to northern Sweden to a place called Lycksele, which is close to the arctic circle.

I am here on business testing airport winter equipment, so here are a few photos of me cooling off in the snow. We even had our lunch BBQ outside in the snow at -10 deg C As you can see it really is winter up here

So I travel home tommorrow and then only 1 more sleep
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #38
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent Nigel!!
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #39
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Only 1 day to go

Final day of the countdown so here is my last installment of the 5 series story

E 60 (2003-2010)

The E60 is the fifth-generation 5-Series, produced from 2003-2010. Its non-traditional styling and many of its features received mixed reviews.

Of course Chris Bangle, BMW's head of design was the visionary behind the E60. Bangle himself spoke about expression of power in car's design and BMW signature elements in the body of the car; his ideas were called deconstructivist in a sense that his designs moved away from the traditional function>material>form equation; he also spoke about flaming surfaces of the body of the car meaning simpler surfaces connections of the car's body (using in the production new panel pressing technology)...Rather grand language from the designer but less generous critcs talked about the rear end styling of the E 60 as the "Bangle Butt" and even said the car was designed with machete.

The E60 represented a significant step forward in technology over the previous generation. The controversial iDrive interface is used to control many aspects of the vehicle.

Despite criticism over its exterior design and interior electronics, this became the best-selling 5-Series. I think it's a bit like marmite. You either love it or hate it. For me the styling is fantastic and the i drive easy to use, just a little slow. In fact so slow at times that on initial start up you cant see the pdc on the screen or switch the radio on or off.

I have owned an E60 530d M Sport for 8 years. I bought it new in 2006 and it has done over 120,000 miles with absolute reliability and no maintenance issues. I love the car and it still feels as fresh today as the day I drove it of the dealers. Some lucky punter is about to get a great second hand car.

However the time has come to change and the new F10 520d waiting at the dealers should be an even better car. Certanly a big step up based on my test drive experience and all the comments I see on this and other forums

So to complete the e 60 story here is my car. I will of course take some photos tomorrow. If possible I will try to get the E60 and new F10 side by side , so I look forward to your comments.

Nigel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #40
dippo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 LCI 520D SE Auto

Well, from that photo you're right - someone is going to get a great second hand car!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #41
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Good luck for tomorrow.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #42
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

good look for the handover.... remember if you not happy with anything...raise hell!

My old e60... still love those spider alloys!
Attached Images

Last edited by mroll320; 03-21-2014 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: picture
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If we are showing off our E60's, here is my beauty, I was so sad to see her go looking like this, and those 172 spider alloys were perfect....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #44
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:

There are a couple of things I wish I had ordered "speed limit display".....
You get that free... Big signs at the side of the road!.... LOL..

Sorry mate, couldn't resist..
Appreciate 0