2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550xi vs 535xi

05-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Those who like extra power are not concerned about GAS consumption and Oil consumption... as the saying goes.. You gotta Pay to Play. i spend more money on gas a month than i do on my car payments.
      05-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990 View Post
there are even more advantages of 535xi over 550xi, but in my opinion:
i will left out sound because is subjective.

550xi:
+ acceleration
- range
- handling
- running costs

535xi:
+ handling
+ range
+ running costs
- acceleration
dufuq
      05-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #47
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

gtron: jut a little facts that some(mainly 550i and 550xi owners) dont want too accept
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #48
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
gtron: jut a little facts that some(mainly 550i and 550xi owners) dont want too accept
it's more likely you're justifying your purchase but that's cool. i personally really enjoy both cars and find no need to decide which is better as both have strengths. i just found your posts to be over the top and obvious.
      05-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #49
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
it's more likely you're justifying your purchase but that's cool. i personally really enjoy both cars and find no need to decide which is better as both have strengths. i just found your posts to be over the top and obvious.
firstly im in process of deciding should i buy F11 or F07, secondly i didnt say that 550i is bad just that is a niche engine and i did drove both.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #50
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
then i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion on an f10... even if they don't own an f10.
      05-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #51
valsorim
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
there are even more advantages of 535xi over 550xi, but in my opinion:
i will left out sound because is subjective.

550xi:
+ acceleration
- range
- handling
- running costs

535xi:
+ handling
+ range
+ running costs
- acceleration
535xi is better than an M5 according to the above argument:

535xi:
+ handling
+ range
+ running costs
- acceleration

M5:
- handling (higher curb weight)
- range
- running costs
+ acceleration
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #52
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsorim View Post
535xi is better than an M5 according to the above argument:

535xi:
+ handling
+ range
+ running costs
- acceleration

M5:
- handling (higher curb weight)
- range
- running costs
+ acceleration
for handling i meant because 535i has better weight distribution than 550i, but im not sure for M5
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #53
losangeles535
Rep
Drives: 535 msport

i forgot to mention a minus for the 550, and that is subtle "compression braking" if you like it then it's a plus on the 550 vs the 535, when i had my f10 550 the compression braking was annoying, not as noticeable on the E60 550. actualy the E60 550 might have been better in most of the handeling catagories i mentioned as minuses. then the F10 gained wheelbase and handeling issues were amplified, some became more apparent. also the E60 550 was normally aspirated delivering 380 hp and immediate torque, the turbo's today are pretty good, but no panacea.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #54
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangeles535 View Post
i forgot to mention a minus for the 550, and that is subtle "compression braking" if you like it then it's a plus on the 550 vs the 535, when i had my f10 550 the compression braking was annoying, not as noticeable on the E60 550. actualy the E60 550 might have been better in most of the handeling catagories i mentioned as minuses. then the F10 gained wheelbase and handeling issues were amplified, some became more apparent. also the E60 550 was normally aspirated delivering 380 hp and immediate torque, the turbo's today are pretty good, but no panacea.
Sorry dude - it's hard to take you seriously when you keep misspelling a simple word like HANDLING. "Handeling" may be a new term for writing classical music?

The weight difference between the 535 and 550 is a few hundred pounds, and the difference in weight distribution is a percent and change. You and the other guy (who doesn't even OWN a BMW, no less an F10 - but assures us "he's driven them") want to make it out to sound like the 550 is a whale and the 535 is a cheetah - just not the case. They're essentially the same car - just one has a bigger engine with more power.

As another poster pointed out, the M5 is even MORE extreme - with both more weight and a more disproportional weight distribution than even the 550. So, by your standards, the M5 must be even worse than the 550? After all, it's worse on gas, worse on oil, heavier, worse weight distribution, and "every honda civic on the road is going to take it in a curve!" PLEASE! Too darn funny!

If you want more power, you get a car with more power - it's that simple. I came from a 335i, and not ONCE have I found myself saying, "gee, I better slow down for this curve that I used to take in my 335" or anything of the sort. I ask just as much of the 550 as I ever did of the 335, and it's happy to comply. It's suspension is plenty stiff, the body stays stable (thanks to ARS) in some pretty quick corners, and the car goes when and where I ask it. I'm not sure in WHAT circumstance you're imagining that a 550 is somehow less fun than a 535. Again, by your measures (weight and weight distribution), the M5 should be the LEAST fun of all F10s... and somehow that's not true, is it?

The gas and oil price argument is also ridiculous. Nobody buying a 550 is (or should be) concerned about gas prices. So there's no argument there. That's like saying, "An advantage of the Prius over the Ferrari F12 is lower gas consumption!" Seriously, nobody who wants (and can afford) an F12 gives a rats bottom about gas and oil prices, and they're certainly not going to make it a factor in deciding if they should buy the car or not.

There's nothing wrong with a 535, and it's certainly the mainstream option for the F10 given the great balance of power and economy. But please don't continue to spew your nonsense that BMW somehow totally screwed up producing the 550 because it's a few hundred pounds heavier and a percent and change different in weight distribution. The car is blazing fast, fun, and capable in every way I've been able to push it. And if the M5 came with xDrive, I would have plunked down the cash for it... despite it's terrible increase in weight, weight distribution, and gas consumption!
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #55
losangeles535
Rep
Drives: 535 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Sorry dude - it's hard to take you seriously when you keep misspelling a simple word like HANDLING. "Handeling" may be a new term for writing classical music?

The weight difference between the 535 and 550 is a few hundred pounds, and the difference in weight distribution is a percent and change. You and the other guy (who doesn't even OWN a BMW, no less an F10 - but assures us "he's driven them") want to make it out to sound like the 550 is a whale and the 535 is a cheetah - just not the case. They're essentially the same car - just one has a bigger engine with more power.

As another poster pointed out, the M5 is even MORE extreme - with both more weight and a more disproportional weight distribution than even the 550. So, by your standards, the M5 must be even worse than the 550? After all, it's worse on gas, worse on oil, heavier, worse weight distribution, and "every honda civic on the road is going to take it in a curve!" PLEASE! Too darn funny!

If you want more power, you get a car with more power - it's that simple. I came from a 335i, and not ONCE have I found myself saying, "gee, I better slow down for this curve that I used to take in my 335" or anything of the sort. I ask just as much of the 550 as I ever did of the 335, and it's happy to comply. It's suspension is plenty stiff, the body stays stable (thanks to ARS) in some pretty quick corners, and the car goes when and where I ask it. I'm not sure in WHAT circumstance you're imagining that a 550 is somehow less fun than a 535. Again, by your measures (weight and weight distribution), the M5 should be the LEAST fun of all F10s... and somehow that's not true, is it?

The gas and oil price argument is also ridiculous. Nobody buying a 550 is (or should be) concerned about gas prices. So there's no argument there. That's like saying, "An advantage of the Prius over the Ferrari F12 is lower gas consumption!" Seriously, nobody who wants (and can afford) an F12 gives a rats bottom about gas and oil prices, and they're certainly not going to make it a factor in deciding if they should buy the car or not.

There's nothing wrong with a 535, and it's certainly the mainstream option for the F10 given the great balance of power and economy. But please don't continue to spew your nonsense that BMW somehow totally screwed up producing the 550 because it's a few hundred pounds heavier and a percent and change different in weight distribution. The car is blazing fast, fun, and capable in every way I've been able to push it. And if the M5 came with xDrive, I would have plunked down the cash for it... despite it's terrible increase in weight, weight distribution, and gas consumption!
the 2014 is better at hand-Ling than the pre LCR model F10. if you want a 550 you should have one! they are both great cars with different great things!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #56
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

Thanks EZ. Again, you are always an amusing tool.

But you are spot on and saved me some typing. What a damn silly premise and thread.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0