2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cracked Windshield

06-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Cracked Windshield

Month old 2012 528i got a big crack in the drivers side of the windshield. It is clear that the shield will need to be replaced. Got hit by pebble on 495 this past weekend. The crack is about 8-10" long. Insurance indicated that if I use my BMW shop to repair I will need to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement, or use a local glass shop who will direct bill insurance - I only need to cover my $250 comp deductible.

When I contacted insurance I insisted on OEM glass, and the local shop is calling around for it. A few questions:

Since this is a lease, I am concerned about warranty. If the windshield is replaced with OEM glass by a third party, is there any risk to my warranty, or to my lease return?

Are there any other things I should ask the third party to do, e.g. OEM sealant for the rain-sensing rear view mirror? I do not have HUD.

Is there any additional OEM moulding that is involved?

Are there any other components I should ask for?

Is it worth the out of pocket savings to just do this with my dealer? I don't want to lose my car for 48 hours if I don't have to.

I have used this company before for an OEM window repair, and they were great, but was concerned with my new car since it is a lease. Any guidance is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Sucks, but will all the construction around Tysons (which I traverse through each day) it is inevitable. I have already got a nice rock chip on my hood and one on the windshield.

When I had to replace the wind shield to my e46 several years ago, I insisted that the company use OEM only, but did not insist on taking it to a dealer. The auto glass places do dozens of these each day and know what they are doing. Get a list from your insurance company and Google them to get reviews and pick the best one. A good company will ask for your VIN so they can check the options to know what they are up against, and to order the right one. Then they'll just come over to your house to replace. Dont worry about it, they do this all day long.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Ask the dealer's service department where they send their glass work to and then call the them directly. Dealers do not replace glass, most of them contract it out. You want those contractors to do the work because they are familar with BMW windshields and trims.
Appreciate 0