2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How hard can I drive my 550i sport?

05-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
rdef
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport 2011

How hard can I drive my 550i sport?

I typically go wide-open-throttle a few times a day up to 60 or 70mph.

I know from experience that my e39 did not like this--I needed a new transmission after three years.

So, my quesion is how tough is the 550i sport drive train? It is over-built, and can it handle maximum torque on a regular basis? I know that driving anything hard will decrease the lifespan, but I'm trying to get a read on just how much is expected.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
You are better off doing this at highway speeds, it's much more taxing to do wide throttle from a standstill. I understand it's not as fun, and hopefully you're doing this with the engine at full operating temperature.
If you are a CCA member and get Roundel magazine, the last article on techtalk describes, due to he combination of low speed city driving of 2-3k rpm, automatics which are geared for fuel economy, fuel quality and long oil change intervals, these things can negatively affect the crankcase ventilation system. The solution, it's beneficial to occasionally run the engine at 4-6k rpm at highway speeds.
      05-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
rdef
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
You are better off doing this at highway speeds, it's much more taxing to do wide throttle from a standstill. I understand it's not as fun, and hopefully you're doing this with the engine at full operating temperature.
If you are a CCA member and get Roundel magazine, the last article on techtalk describes, due to he combination of low speed city driving of 2-3k rpm, automatics which are geared for fuel economy, fuel quality and long oil change intervals, these things can negatively affect the crankcase ventilation system. The solution, it's beneficial to occasionally run the engine at 4-6k rpm at highway speeds.
Thank you for the post. I always wait until the oil temp is up, and I don't mash it to the floor from a dead stop. I'll get rolling a bit and then build it to wot over a second or two.
Appreciate 0