2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK rattle coming for rear of car

01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

(Solved) rattle coming from rear

I hate annoying rattles and this one is driving me round the bend.
It only happens when on a rough road or going over the bumps it sounds the parcelshelf is rattling or something around the area but hard tell. Sometimes even towards the rear passenger door? any ideas? I haven't changed anything just happened all of a sudden yesterday? doesn't help that we are blessed with terrible roads here in the UK

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I have had the same on mine, I think that you will find the locking wheel nut key or towing hook have worked themselves loose in the compartment that holds these on the underside of the bootlid. Happens quite often on mine, I ended up taping them down!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I have had the same on mine, I think that you will find the locking wheel nut key or towing hook have worked themselves loose in the compartment that holds these on the underside of the bootlid. Happens quite often on mine, I ended up taping them down!
Ill check that out in a minute!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I've checked it, it was ok however I've seen that sometimes it can be the passenger seat belt so i've put it over the bolster. We shall see tomorrow, my first job is 105 miles away so ill find out!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
I've checked it, it was ok however I've seen that sometimes it can be the passenger seat belt so i've put it over the bolster. We shall see tomorrow, my first job is 105 miles away so ill find out!!
My passenger seat belt rattles like that if it has been left in a certain way, or the seat a bit higher/lower than usual, I just reach across and sort it. Very annoying, but at least I can reach it
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If it's the passenger seat belt then the sound most definitely comes from the B pillar and not from the rear of the car. Do you have child seats installed as these can make a noise when empty?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
dicky.hillary
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520D SE

Yep, my passenger seat belt rattles too. I tracked the cause down to when the Mrs gets out, she just flops the belt backwards. It doesn't seem to retract the clip to a position that doesn't catch the b-pillar.

R
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
My passenger seat belt rattles like that if it has been left in a certain way, or the seat a bit higher/lower than usual, I just reach across and sort it. Very annoying, but at least I can reach it
I've cured one rattle now I've got an annoying one coming from my door (drivers side like the trim or something its really odd buzzing sort of noise its horrible. I hate rattles and stuff like that!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:08 AM   #9
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Mine too. What a small design flaw, it could have been sorted out when the LCI was introduced. Obviously us normal folk do the same thing...reach over and twist it around.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 04:19 AM   #10
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Still no joy rattling over bumps sounds like it's coming from on the parcel shelf. I can't find anything though Might have to take it to the dealer and pay £££ if I can't work out what it is
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 04:47 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Still no joy rattling over bumps sounds like it's coming from on the parcel shelf. I can't find anything though Might have to take it to the dealer and pay £££ if I can't work out what it is
Are you sure you have checked that all the items in the tool box in the bootlid are clicked into place? Mine does exactly this and it was always something that had worked loose. It might be in the right position but worked out of the studs that keep it fixed in place...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you have checked that all the items in the tool box in the bootlid are clicked into place? Mine does exactly this and it was always something that had worked loose. It might be in the right position but worked out of the studs that keep it fixed in place...
I've checked again, and I took everything out put it back in again, I also put some cloths in to insulate it, and the result is nothing the rattle/buzz still there.

Its really annoying sort of buzz/rattly noise. I have to say it sounds like its the parcel shelf or around that area. I don't have split folding seats so is there any known rattles from the rear parcel shelf? It sort of buzz's when doing thirty in a low gear with acceleration its not loud but really annoying. I haven't touched anything at the back so something working itself loose would sound right but unfortunately its not the above. Although I wish it was.

Anybody any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Best thing to do is get someone else to drive your car and sit in the back to exactly locate it. Maybe even try it in the boot as well!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #14
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

Yep - use a bit of hose as a listening device, or if you want to spend a tenner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lisle-52500-.../dp/B0002SQYSM
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've checked again, and I took everything out put it back in again, I also put some cloths in to insulate it, and the result is nothing the rattle/buzz still there.

Its really annoying sort of buzz/rattly noise. I have to say it sounds like its the parcel shelf or around that area. I don't have split folding seats so is there any known rattles from the rear parcel shelf? It sort of buzz's when doing thirty in a low gear with acceleration its not loud but really annoying. I haven't touched anything at the back so something working itself loose would sound right but unfortunately its not the above. Although I wish it was.

Anybody any ideas?
Shame, as it sounds identical to the issue I had...

I guess you just have to systematically go through everything in the rear. Check seatbelts are in correct positions, check armrest is mounted correctly and that the drinks holders are closed properly, check there's noting in the storage in the armrest, check headrests are clicked into position, check under boot floor and other storage compartments.

Although you probably may have done this already!

Good luck...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

This rattle was doing my head in today When I got home just I felt the numberplate on the rear it was rattling when I knocked it or pushed on one side of it. So I took the plate of flipped it over and put some felt which had adhesive on one side all the way round the edge of the numberplate on the back so its hidden. Now when I push it, no rattle or noise. So hopefully tomorrow the rattle will have disappeared. The rattle didn't sound like it was coming from the boot, though rattles travel fast.

But if not its got to be what I've took photos of below, as when I flick the plastic bit it can sometimes make a rattle however I think its got to have been the numberplate, even though it sounded like it was coming from the interior.

Any fellow F10 owners suffered with numberplate rattle over bumps and some rough road surfaces?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Still rattles.

Only seems like its over certain road surfaces, alot of the times when going over potholes there is no rattle its when going over rough surfaces and its such a horrible interior rattle.

I think it may be the above anybody ever had any problems with these?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Basically I took that black trim off which literally just pulls off with brute force. Behind it is the black plastic cover that sits against the glass, that had movement in it from side to side, basically there are two clips which push in from the sides to hold it in place stop it from moving and rattling against the glass (I hope) and they were both out so I clipped them back in to hold that black plastic piece in place again.

This is my finally attempt otherwise its a trip to the dealer as I've had enough

Driving 120 miles first thing in the morning so I will soon know whether its fixed or I've made it even worse!!!

Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:27 AM   #19
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Solved was the above rear light clips come out of place somehow : watch out for that one!!
Appreciate 0