2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Stacking BMS Stage 1 on top of Dinan

06-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Stacking BMS Stage 1 on top of Dinan

Has anyone tried this before? Good idea? Bad idea? I'm interested in trying this but would like opinions on if it will add any more power and the reliability of doing this.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Has anyone tried this before? Good idea? Bad idea? I'm interested in trying this but would like opinions on if it will add any more power and the reliability of doing this.
If you want more power, get a custom flash. Adding 18 piggy backs in line with each other still hit the same maximum allowable boost level before detonation occurs, regardless of who's name is on the box or how much you spend on it. Not a single device out there makes magical power, nor do any really make huge numbers over any other either because boost is boost. Some offer some fancy additions like the BMS stage II pulling timing which DOES allow for more boost (at the cost of drivability issues as many have seen), or the ESS allowing for smoother fuel delivery and boost by RPM with the addition of other sensor access, but in the end they all do the same thing and hit a similar wall for power. Beyond that you need a custom flash that properly reduces timing to run additional boost, and also compensates not only for more fuel delivery, but the proper air fuel ratio for horsepower instead of emissions like the factory computer does.

If by some chance, the Dinan tune was a bit on the conservative side, you might be able to squeeze an additional lb of boost in before you start seeing knock retard and/or detonation, you might gain 7-15 more horsepower, but at this point its kinda a waste. When I eventually get a custom flash, I will be keeping my ESS piggy back on for boost control, but I also scan and monitor everything going on and will run better fuel when I add boost over what is programmed. Im sure Dinan, like most mail order tuners, likely has the car dialed in at about 85% of its ability in order to keep your warranty and keep the car safe, but if you wanted to spend some time on a dyno with a piggy back, it would be a large investment for a possible gain, and I also don't honestly know how a piggy back will react to Dinans setup either as far as how it modifies variables.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
yeah we had a person do it Middly and it was not good so he stayed with JB4.
      06-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #4
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Two piggies fighting for control of your car... = no go! But get a flash tune and you a can add a piggy on top of that.
      06-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Not a good idea, choose one of the two

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0