2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum clicking sound coming from left side

01-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil335i View Post
GRIMLOCK..is this a problem that i should have dealer fix or normal?
the sound is not normal, but the lock appears to still work, the only thing u can complain about is 'sound' so far ...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
on my old merc it was busted door lock pump/engine sounded like that
sit in the car and press the lock door button to see if its this..
The door locks seem to work fine.

Honestly, i thought it was a normal sound in all cars so I never bothered to think about it.

But now that i see most in this thread don't know what I'm talking about, i will have it checked by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

I've had exactly the same noise, it's like a cracking sound, coming from the drivers door. I have now had my drivers door lock completely jam open. When I close the door it just bounces open again. This has happened 3 times now. Dealer has found a fault with a wire harness.

I'm not sure the cracking noise and the fault are one of the same problem thou.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
I've had exactly the same noise, it's like a cracking sound, coming from the drivers door. I have now had my drivers door lock completely jam open. When I close the door it just bounces open again. This has happened 3 times now. Dealer has found a fault with a wire harness.

I'm not sure the cracking noise and the fault are one of the same problem thou.
Do you hear a tic-tic-tic sound coming from the driver side tire area & foot rest area?
      02-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #27
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Well, my dealer says the sound is normal... he says it has to do with the hydraulic system adjusting.

If that's the case, then how come some F10 owners don't hear it?... any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
Well, my dealer says the sound is normal... he says it has to do with the hydraulic system adjusting.

Maybe, they dont pay attention to it. But i think this sound is normal i got a loaner 528i and heard the same sound.
      03-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #29
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil335i View Post
Maybe, they dont pay attention to it. But i think this sound is normal i got a loaner 528i and heard the same sound.
glad to know... thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #30
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post

Hydraulic from what sistem?

The sound is in the door area, there is not hydraulics.
I don't have soft close but i have that noise and the soft close mechanism is electric and not hydraulic.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #31
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Isn't this the ABS self-check? happens only when you start the car, once, right after you start off at a certain speed every time?

My Acura does this too, although much louder. 5 thunks in quick succession when you hit, I think, 30 kph.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #32
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep

The sound is located at the left door area, near B pillar.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rive View Post
Hydraulic from what sistem?

The sound is in the door area, there is not hydraulics.
I don't have soft close but i have that noise and the soft close mechanism is electric and not hydraulic.
I think the sound comes from under the dash (left side). I would think the only thing in the door would be the wondow motor and the locks.

Anyway, i see more and more people know what sound we're talking about... which makes more normal.... i hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #34
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Evil335i, i think we have the same problems on our car. I have this clicking sound too.

Here goes, I took it to a dealership, the SA heard the noise, so we know there is a problem. Technician cant emulate the sound, so he says so they cant fix it. Took it back to the same dealership 2 more times and same thing, they cant hear it, therefore they cant fix it, talk about SERVICE huh.

Then I took it to a different dalership, the service foreman took his time to figure out when the sound occurs and he got it to come up. I'm taking my car back to this dealership next week, lets see...

This is what I've learned -

- It sounds like a winding/clicking noise, like click-click-click-click and 1 louder click at the end.
- It happens after the car has been parked.
- It happens even when you dont back out, say if you were parked on the street.
- It happens right around 10 mph, I cant tell if it happens at faster speed, perhaps due to road noise I cant hear it anymore.
- It has nothing to do with shifting. I shifted the car to manual M1 and the noise happened while at 1st gear.
- It has nothing to do with turning motion. I parked the car on the side, turned off the engine and waited 5 minutes. Started the car, drove off while keeping the steering wheel straight the noise happened again.
- The noise is happening more often now than before.

The second dealership will try other 535s and see if other cars have it too and come up with some conclusion. I dont think its a good enough test, if other cars have the same noise, it doesn't mean there is no problem, it just means that both cars make the noise, and possibly have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #35
AppleVal
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i Dark Graphite

I have a brand new f10 528i 4 days old.. and it has the same sound whenever i do a cold start and go below 10mph.... However, i had the same problem too with my own old car whenever i went below 10mph after a cold start(range rover sport 2006 supercharged). I am assuming its normal sound.... Correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #36
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

I got my car back from the dealership today. Dealer said the clicking 'seems' normal because it's also present on other cars, we even went for a drive on a brand new car and sure enough it made the noise. The service foreman also contacted BMW NA to let them know of the issue, I dont know where this will go.

I could be a devil's advocate and say what if the problem goes across the board, but I wont and just be vigilant about it.

My main concern was that they could deny a warranty claim in the future when I mod the car. But since it is now documented that the car made the noise, with the dealership being aware of it, that the noise was pre-existing to the mod.

By the way, Center BMW is a win. They were very patient when I brought the car in, making sure they could emulate the noise before taking the car in. When I picked up the car I asked them to take me for a test drive on another car so there is no doubt in my mind that the issue is not just on my car, and they went for that too.

Dealer said the sound may be coming from the ABS system when it's doing a self check.

At this point I dont know what else to do but to monitor it and if it gets worst, I'll take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #37
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep

The tic-tic sound on the left side of my F10 is gone. Maybe the mouse has left his nest
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
Evil335i, i think we have the same problems on our car. I have this clicking sound too.

Here goes, I took it to a dealership, the SA heard the noise, so we know there is a problem. Technician cant emulate the sound, so he says so they cant fix it. Took it back to the same dealership 2 more times and same thing, they cant hear it, therefore they cant fix it, talk about SERVICE huh.

Then I took it to a different dalership, the service foreman took his time to figure out when the sound occurs and he got it to come up. I'm taking my car back to this dealership next week, lets see...

This is what I've learned -

- It sounds like a winding/clicking noise, like click-click-click-click and 1 louder click at the end.
- It happens after the car has been parked.
- It happens even when you dont back out, say if you were parked on the street.
- It happens right around 10 mph, I cant tell if it happens at faster speed, perhaps due to road noise I cant hear it anymore.
- It has nothing to do with shifting. I shifted the car to manual M1 and the noise happened while at 1st gear.
- It has nothing to do with turning motion. I parked the car on the side, turned off the engine and waited 5 minutes. Started the car, drove off while keeping the steering wheel straight the noise happened again.
- The noise is happening more often now than before.

The second dealership will try other 535s and see if other cars have it too and come up with some conclusion. I dont think its a good enough test, if other cars have the same noise, it doesn't mean there is no problem, it just means that both cars make the noise, and possibly have the same problem.
'

I still stand by my original supposition that you are hearing the ABS self-check. The signs that lead me there are: at the same speed, happens once, after a re-start, and that other, new cars do it.

The fact that it's happening more often now than before is likely you noticing it more often than not.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #39
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
'

I still stand by my original supposition that you are hearing the ABS self-check. The signs that lead me there are: at the same speed, happens once, after a re-start, and that other, new cars do it.

The fact that it's happening more often now than before is likely you noticing it more often than not.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
that is eaxctly what the dealer said and i'm starting to agree.

by the way it has nothing to do with the door locks because i've tried it when I locked the doors manually and still made the noise. i think the doors lock at 9mph and the apparent abs self check is at 10mph, that's why it seems consistent with the door lock.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #40
bess
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i 2011

Clicking noise issued - only2 month old car..

Same here those clicking noise - before door locking, when wheel turning, and rear and forward gear..

I've been to dealership 6 times regarded this issue, finally they told me that IT IS A NORMAL.... -_-;;;

Technician state that

FOUND AT APPROX 8 MPH THE DSC CIRCUIT ACTIVATES CAUSING A CLICKING NOISE BY THE MASTER CYLER/BOOSTER AREA. THIS IS A NORMAL FUNCTION AND ONLY OCCURS AT INITIAL DRIVE OFF AFTER VEHICLE DSC MODULE HAS ASSUMED SLEEP MODE. COMPARED TO LIKE VEHICLE WITH 1900 MILES, THE CONDITION IS IDENTICAL. THERE ARE NO FUALTS OR WARNING STORED.

I've called BMW north. but they said that if a technician said it is normal, there is nothing wrong with a vehicle. and she suggested that go to another dealership and have a second opinion if I distrust about the result..

Do you think it is a normal function? should I go to another dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #41
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

It's normal. Relax and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #42
brianlikes2w
Rep
Drives: bmwf10

mine does the same thing...this is not normal..if anyone finds a fix, please let know..thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #43
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

ok, so the sound is normal... but why do some not have it?

don't they have ABS too?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #44
jhill
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M8 Coupe

My March build 535i M Sport does the same thing. Can barely feel it with your left foot planted on the floorboard as you hear the slight 'thonk' 'thonk' thumping sounds. Glad to hear this is "normal" or at least I'm not alone.
Appreciate 0