2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Upsizing

08-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Upsizing

Hi All

Currently weighing up a move from an E90 to an F10 as with the expanding family the boot on mine just isn't cutting it now I'm afraid.

As mines due replacement in a few months I'd been leaning towards the new F31 but I've just discovered I can secure a deal on the new 5 series for about the same money if not less than the equivalent 3 Series (work based scheme) which is quite a surprise.

I'd probably have never considered the 5 before so I'm reading up like mad and playing around with the options. Seems well equipped from the off in M Sport guise, especially now it gets business Nav and Xenon's as standard.

Couple of questions

Can anyone confirm if we get only get non-led front indicators on the standard or Adaptive Xenon's? The chaps on the US site are freaking out over this apparent downgrade over the previous model.

I also see the sport auto has been dropped on the 520d, is the auto box still an 8 speed or is it more like the older versions?

Been down and had a look at the new LCI with the Mrs and it's size over the 3 is obviously quite substantial. Not had a test drive yet.

I'm considering either the 520d, 528i or the 530d M Sport. Obviously the extra toys will have to decrease as the engine size creeps up!

Anyone else who's moved up got any advice?
      08-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
Hi All

Currently weighing up a move from an E90 to an F10 as with the expanding family the boot on mine just isn't cutting it now I'm afraid.

As mines due replacement in a few months I'd been leaning towards the new F31 but I've just discovered I can secure a deal on the new 5 series for about the same money if not less than the equivalent 3 Series (work based scheme) which is quite a surprise.

I'd probably have never considered the 5 before so I'm reading up like mad and playing around with the options. Seems well equipped from the off in M Sport guise, especially now it gets business Nav and Xenon's as standard.

Couple of questions

Can anyone confirm if we get only get non-led front indicators on the standard or Adaptive Xenon's? [Front indicators are halogen lamps in both scenarios. You only get LEDs indicators if you choose LED Headlights pack] The chaps on the US site are freaking out over this apparent downgrade over the previous model.

I also see the sport auto has been dropped on the 520d, is the auto box still an 8 speed or is it more like the older versions? [8-speed with paddle shifters.]

Been down and had a look at the new LCI with the Mrs and it's size over the 3 is obviously quite substantial. Not had a test drive yet.

I'm considering either the 520d, 528i or the 530d M Sport. Obviously the extra toys will have to decrease as the engine size creeps up! [I had the pre-LCI 520D, very very good car, but have now ordered the LCI 535D. The 520D gives the best of economy and tax benefits, but the straight 6 in the 530 is a different beast. I migrated to the 535D because compared to my E92 330, the 520D just felt slow. Apart from a direct comparison with a 6-cyl engine, I can highly recommend the 520D.]

Anyone else who's moved up got any advice? [I have a E92 and E46; and comparing the E92 to a F10, all I would say is that the 5 is a lot more comfortable (OK, rephrase... it is insanely more posh, comfortable and goes over bumps and road imperfections with ease). I do have the Variable Damper Control in my F10 and that does change the ride dramatically. The F10 is still quite planted when I put this into Sport (or Sport+) modes, but this may be more due to the optional VDC. All in all, if you are looking for a bigger, more comfortable car than the 3xx, then it is the perfect choice. The craftsmanship and materials are a cut above - the 5 is almost a mini 7 series rather than a bigger 3 - that is how most people would see it in terms of its build quality and interiors. It is not going to be as spirited as a 3 series, but I guess the 5 was never meant to. It is a very sporty car - still the best in class. I did test drive the Merc E-Class, Audi A6, Jaguar XF; and my impression was that E-Class is just dull, the Audi good but very boring, the Jag very comfortable (far too comfortable) and I did not like the exterior shape]
In addition, you can read about all the LCI/ pre-LCI differences in this BMW bulletin F10_11_0713 MYA Bulletin_1.pdf.
(This bulletin is specifically for UK market)
      08-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the detailed reply. Appreciate it. The bulletin is most helpful as well
      08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. Appreciate it. The bulletin is most helpful as well
On a side note, have you considered the Luxury edition instead of the M-Sport. You get a lot of kit with Luxury as well (Full SatNav, etc...).

I personally prefer the less aggressive (more plain) look of the non M-Sport; so I chose the Luxury edition.

As for the suspension of M-Sport, I chose VDC (Variable Dynamic Control) which is quite good. I am not sure that the passive M-Sport is better than VDC or vice-versa (again our Yankee cousins seem to be very about this subject !) - but I think its a very personal choice.

I would highly recommend that you test drive cars with and without VDC (or the full blown Adaptive Control) - but I certainly feel that the car's behaviour changes quite a bit with the VDC. And I am glad that I bought my old F10 with VDC, same on the new 535.
      08-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
jc
Rep
Drives: 535i

Adaptive Drive transforms the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again for the advice. Yup, spotted the luxury comes with Prof Nav as standard which is great but I personally prefer the M Sports look and it's great that the 5's now all come with Business Nav as standard.

I sprung for the full prof media with USB and Bluetooth Audio in the 3 because I really thought that Idrive made the car. Not too bothered about upgrading from the Business Nav this time, the bigger screen would be nice but as long as it's got iDrive, sat nav and USB audio I'm happy.

Can anyone confirm the LCI's USB audio definitely takes a digital feed from the source device, by-passing it's own inbuilt DAC? I'm sure it does but just want to confirm if possible.

Also, other than the better maps does anyone know what else business nav loses out on over the prof Nav in the LCI?

I think it's going to be between the 528i and 530d M Sports with

Sports Plus Pack (19's, HK Audio, Sun Protect Glass, Spoiler)
Folding Mirrors
Adaptive Headlights (inc. Full Beam Assist)
Full Black Panel Display

Trying to keep within a set budget so would probably have to lose the Adaptive headlights to add the VDC. Having had the adaptive headlights in the 3 I think they're great so don't really want to lose them. I'm sure the Adaptive Drive is fantastic but again, stretching the budget somewhat.

I am going to test drive the 520d as well but unless at the moment I think I'll be going for one of the more powerful versions. Fancy something a bit swifter next.

Thanks!
      08-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Quote:

Also, other than the better maps does anyone know what else business nav loses out on over the prof Nav in the LCI?
The new iDrive touch controller as well as
- BMW Online
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
- Conceirge Services
- Remote Services
- BMW Apps

As far as I know, I could be wrong but I don't think you get any of that with the business nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
The new iDrive touch controller as well as
- BMW Online
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
- Conceirge Services
- Remote Services
- BMW Apps

As far as I know, I could be wrong but I don't think you get any of that with the business nav.
Thanks. Well that's no real hardship, I've pretty much used none of that to date other than to play around with it. Real time traffic is good but I'm not really a big commuter by car so won't miss that!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

As you can only get prof nav by taking the prof media package, you'll also lose out on the 12GB hard drive and DVD player. I'm only guessing, but the display of music content such as album art etc. is probably not quite as slick.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc View Post
Adaptive Drive transforms the car.
Agree, love it in my car, but remember AD is much more expensive than the VDC option.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
LED front indicators were always bulbs unless Xenons or the Visibility Pack was specced.

On the LCI cars, even though Xenons are standard (they are non adaptive) you still get bulbs for the indicators.

To get LED indicators, you will need to spec the Adaptive LED headlight package.

Indicators and brake lights on the rear are still LED as they always have been. Front fogs on the LCI are now LED but have been dropped as standard from SE models.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

On the verge of ordering now and popping into the dealer on Monday to go over the final specs. I'm 99.9% set on the following

520d M Sport
Auto with paddles
M Sport Plus Pack (19's, HK Audio, Sun Protect Glass, Spoiler)
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Black Panel
Ambient Lighting
Folding Mirrors
Met Paint (Most likely Sophisto Grey Xirallic)

Could anyone clarify the situation with the standard air con on the 520d as the online brochure is a little scant and confusing.

All but the 520d appear to come standard with 'air conditioning standard with extended features' which is a £305 option on the 520d. There is also an option to add this plus four zone control for £695.

With neither of these options selected what exactly is fitted as standard on the 520d M Sport?

In my current E90 I have two zone control up front with blowers in the rear centre console which has a hot/cold blend switch. Is it simply the same as this?

Also, can anyone clarify if surround view available to spec individually? It appears to say it is in the BMW Bulletin further up this thread but when adding online it keeps wanting to add reversing camera assist?

Thanks All
      09-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On the verge of ordering now and popping into the dealer on Monday to go over the final specs. I'm 99.9% set on the following

520d M Sport
Auto with paddles
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Black Panel
Ambient Lighting
Folding Mirrors
Met Paint (Most likely Sophisto Grey Xirallic)

Could anyone clarify the situation with the standard air con on the 520d as the online brochure is a little scant and confusing.

All but the 520d appear to come standard with 'air conditioning standard with extended features' which is a £305 option on the 520d. There is also an option to add this plus four zone control for £695.

With neither of these options selected what exactly is fitted as standard on the 520d M Sport?

In my current E90 I have two zone control up front with blowers in the rear centre console which has a hot/cold blend switch. Is it simply the same as this?

Also, can anyone clarify if surround view available to spec individually? It appears to say it is in the BMW Bulletin further up this thread but when adding online it keeps wanting to add reversing camera assist?

Thanks All
I do not think you can add surround view on its own. You can add reversing camera on its own, but others are part of the Pack.

Standard aircon gives you 2-zone with the hot/cold blow dial. With £305 add-on you get Auto Air circulation, sun/fog sensors. With 4-zone you get individual temp controllers in rear, 2 extra vents in B-pillar. The £305 option is standard on all cars except 520.
Sophisto Grey isa great colour, I had this on my 520, but have chosen Callisto Grey on my current 535.
      09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The deed is done.

Signed on the dotted line for

520d LCI M Sport
Auto with paddles
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Black Panel
Ambient Lighting
Folding Mirrors
Sophisto Grey Xirallic
Extended Aircon
Model Designation Deletion

Going to be sweet! Roll on December.....

Opted for the exclusive stitching on the black Dakota leather but still undecided on this. Got a few days to tweak my order so will be hunting around for some decent pics.

Definitely want black leather, not sure on the stitching yet.

Ideally wanted bluetooth audio but not worth the £430 IMO and if I miss it that much I can get it coded. My dealer said he's had several turn up with it on without it actually being specified so that would be a bonus if it happens.

Thanks for all the advice chaps!
      10-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Nice looking spec there B33M3R Like you I'm waiting for mine after signing on the dotted line the other week.

I've had contrasting stitching in a couple of cars (Audi's) and I wouldn't spec it again, especially light stitching on dark leather. I am very careful in the car and have OCD about cleaning it etc, but even I struggled to keep the stitching looking fresh and sharpe - just my 2p.

Interesting what your dealer said about the B/T, that would be a bonus if that was in there.....here's hoping.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Renalt130
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 540i / F15 M50d

4 zone climate does one thing more which is hard to identify in spec sheets: it adds another mode on each individual venting outlet, enabling a more diffusive air stream. Much more comfortable IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Nice looking spec there B33M3R Like you I'm waiting for mine after signing on the dotted line the other week.

I've had contrasting stitching in a couple of cars (Audi's) and I wouldn't spec it again, especially light stitching on dark leather. I am very careful in the car and have OCD about cleaning it etc, but even I struggled to keep the stitching looking fresh and sharpe - just my 2p.

Interesting what your dealer said about the B/T, that would be a bonus if that was in there.....here's hoping.
Hi

Thanks, interesting what you mention about keeping the stitching looking fresh. Leaning towards dropping it off now.

My dealer sent me a couple of pics today from the showroom cars for a comparison which I'll stick on here for others to reference. Couldn't seem to find any pics would you believe!

He did say ones a comfort seat though.
      10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalt130 View Post
4 zone climate does one thing more which is hard to identify in spec sheets: it adds another mode on each individual venting outlet, enabling a more diffusive air stream. Much more comfortable IMO.
Yeah, it's about a £600 option so it needs to be able to do more than that before I add it! It never ceases to amaze me how scant all the information is bearing in mind how much some of the options are.
      10-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Ideally wanted bluetooth audio but not worth the £430 IMO and if I miss it that much I can get it coded. My dealer said he's had several turn up with it on without it actually being specified so that would be a bonus if it happens.
Here is some good news for you...

All F10 LCI models now come with Bluetooth as standard. The exact option code is 6NH - Bluetooth Hands-free facility with USB audio interface.

The £430 option you are talking about is Option 6NS - Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control.
This allows you to connect 2 phones to the car bluetooth simultaneously along with Bluetooth Audio (in parallel to USB Audio).

So, you will be getting Bluetooth as standard on your 520.. Enjoy
      10-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #20
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Here is some good news for you...

All F10 LCI models now come with Bluetooth as standard. The exact option code is 6NH - Bluetooth Hands-free facility with USB audio interface.

The £430 option you are talking about is Option 6NS - Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control.
This allows you to connect 2 phones to the car bluetooth simultaneously along with Bluetooth Audio (in parallel to USB Audio).

So, you will be getting Bluetooth as standard on your 520.. Enjoy
Hi, yes that's the one I'm referring to. It's the Bluetooth audio I'll miss out on over the E90 which is the £430 option. I tend to stream Spotify rather than use USB as the idrive doesn't like anything other than apple. I've been looking into it though and it looks like its a software only change for 6NS over 6NH (ignoring the snap in hardware) which looks fairly straight forward to code in.

I'm going to see if I miss it and if so look to code it in
      10-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #21
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

^^^ Watching with interest
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Also watching with interest. I would love to be able to just code in audio streaming over BT rather than paying £430 for it.

It's funny though, I was looking at an almost identical spec as you on a 520d M-Sport Touring. Then had a look at the 530d, found out that pro nav was included, as was ambient lighting. Sports Auto was only a couple hundred extra (auto as standard). Couple other bits and pieces. I basically asked them to quote a stripped back 530d with M-Sport Plus with folding mirrors. £1 a day more than the spec'd up 520d. Couldn't resist.

I'm in on Tuesday to do the paperwork. Will have to check out the difference on the black panel display. I quite fancy that now.

Appreciate 0