2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BIMMER Magazine Review of 6 speed 550i

05-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

BIMMER Magazine Review of 6 speed 550i

Is anyone just as shocked as I am that Bimmer Magazine, the same magazine that a few months ago called the 535i a good ride that just lacked more power, rated the 550i poorly in its review?

It’s as if the 535i and 550i were two different brands of cars the reviews were that different. Where the loved the handling feel of the 535i and called the steering good, they came back with the dumb, artificial steering feel of the 550i makes it less than impressive.

My question to the choir... why are people, specifically BMW people, so mixed about this new class of BMWS. I happen to like both the cars, and while the 550i is heavier than the out going car, i do not think its overly floaty like the review stated. And this 550i had the adaptive sport suspension which they still criticized never felt planted and firm.

Does the M sport offer anything over the sport package? People seem to rave about m sport, but I thought it was essentially the same suspension. Just doesn’t make sense to me. The review also points to the fact we shouldn’t just love a 550i because we can get it in the 6 speed manual. They even balked it was tough to drive in lower gears, something I never experienced. To me the shifts were like butter the last time I drove a 2011 550i stick at the dealer who had one.

I know peoples thoughts about the car, but if you are about to plant 70,000 on a 550i, how should one read into this latest blast on a car that is essentially at the top of the class?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Haven't you ordered your car yet? After all these threads... You must still be on the fence. In the U.S., M-Sport does not change the suspension. It's only cosmetic.

I guess the big hangup over the F10 is that it doesn't "feel" like the previous generations. So I suppose if you are coming from a long line of previous generation 5-series cars, you are disappointed because the F10 is different. At least that's my interpretation of the fact we are getting such different reviews from different people. I think the F10 is sporty, but I haven't driven the previous generations.

But at the end of the day, you have to make a decision. Is this the car you want or not? The best you can do is drive an auto-tranny 550i at a local dealer with and without the various suspension packages (dynamic handling, active steering).

The only other thing I can think is that there is poor quality control on the steering system. That seems clear because some people complain about 'pulling to the right' and others (like me) don't. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about this except order a car and pray you don't get one with crappy steering.

Then decide if you like the experience of driving a 6MT or not. Really, that's the only reason to get a 6MT now. The 8AT is easier to drive and has great performance. But I got the 6MT because I like the 6MT experience. If it comes down to pure performance, get the 8AT.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Look, this car is extremely advanced. It is not a car you can drive for a week and claim you know how to handle it.

In many respects this car is incomparable to anything else on the road today.

This car is not unlike an airplane in that you really need a checklist to make sure the car is configured properly for your trip.

Not understanding the dynamic drive system could lead to a bad review.

The true test is to drive the car for six months and see how you feel. This car and its 7 series brother are just plain fun to drive. This feeling is usually found only in go karts, mini bikes, and snowmobiles. Yet, this series gives you that kind of feeling nearly everyday. Yeah, who cars if a minibike's suspension feels planted! The thing is fun to drive just like this car.

Do they understand the technology of this suspension that allows you to turn the wheel at high speed and allow the entire vehicle to remain nearly perfectly level?

This car has elements that simply don't exist in other cars including earlier BMWs.

I am not looking for the reviewer to always be positive, but anyone that has nothing better to say than to concentrate on its negatives must be doing so for political rather than objective reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Is anyone just as shocked as I am that Bimmer Magazine, the same magazine that a few months ago called the 535i a good ride that just lacked more power, rated the 550i poorly in its review?

ItÂ’s as if the 535i and 550i were two different brands of cars the reviews were that different. Where the loved the handling feel of the 535i and called the steering good, they came back with the dumb, artificial steering feel of the 550i makes it less than impressive.

My question to the choir... why are people, specifically BMW people, so mixed about this new class of BMWS. I happen to like both the cars, and while the 550i is heavier than the out going car, i do not think its overly floaty like the review stated. And this 550i had the adaptive sport suspension which they still criticized never felt planted and firm.

Does the M sport offer anything over the sport package? People seem to rave about m sport, but I thought it was essentially the same suspension. Just doesnÂ’t make sense to me. The review also points to the fact we shouldnÂ’t just love a 550i because we can get it in the 6 speed manual. They even balked it was tough to drive in lower gears, something I never experienced. To me the shifts were like butter the last time I drove a 2011 550i stick at the dealer who had one.

I know peoples thoughts about the car, but if you are about to plant 70,000 on a 550i, how should one read into this latest blast on a car that is essentially at the top of the class?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

The steering feel is different based upon whether or not you order the Dynamic Handling Package.

My 550i is definitely floaty. It is because of the way that DHP is set up. BMW is trying to be all things to all people. The comfort setting is worthless in a BMW with DHP. It is incredibly soft and floaty. This skews the DHP range too much toward comfort and too little toward Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The steering feel is different based upon whether or not you order the Dynamic Handling Package.

My 550i is definitely floaty. It is because of the way that DHP is set up. BMW is trying to be all things to all people. The comfort setting is worthless in a BMW with DHP. It is incredibly soft and floaty. This skews the DHP range too much toward comfort and too little toward Sport+.
I don't use the comfort setting a whole lot. I find it useful for doing easy cruising down the highway. When you just want an easy drive in comfort with the car picking up as much vibration as possible. Some of my friends enjoy a "smooth" ride as well. So I use it when they are in the car and I'm not being aggressive anyway.

I generally drive in "Normal" mode for most every day use. But I have put the car in Sport for driving in the twisties. It's really amazing how much the car can firm up and the steering gets a lot tighter.

I only used Sport+ when I took the car to our local autocross once. I took it just to see what it would do. Not too bad for such a large car... but not nearly as fun as the //M.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the irony i saw in the review was the fact they tested a 535i with dynamic handling and had different opinions than than this tester did about steering.

bottom line, i agree with this forum, but how different can the setup really be on both cars with the same OPTION!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

A friend has a pretty new E60 535d. Some people here mention that the steering is so fantastic on that car. To me it felt like a boat when i drove it. In total, The F10 is a different planet I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

People (including car reviewers) are subjective beings, that said, when you have conflicting results being offered (535>550, oh no wait;550>535!, sometimes by the same person) the reason is normally because the person is subjective (but fails or neglects to realize it)
There is an 'objective' truth .. 550 is the most powerful, but is heavier .. so if you're numb to power but concerned about weight/handling on a particular day, you would come out dourly on the 550 etc. whereas if you feel the 535i is too weak, once you get behind the wheel of the 550 you would be "oh yeah, baby, this is it!" .. and forget about the added weight. just the way humans are, not cars
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
People (including car reviewers) are subjective beings, that said, when you have conflicting results being offered (535>550, oh no wait;550>535!, sometimes by the same person) the reason is normally because the person is subjective (but fails or neglects to realize it)
There is an 'objective' truth .. 550 is the most powerful, but is heavier .. so if you're numb to power but concerned about weight/handling on a particular day, you would come out dourly on the 550 etc. whereas if you feel the 535i is too weak, once you get behind the wheel of the 550 you would be "oh yeah, baby, this is it!" .. and forget about the added weight. just the way humans are, not cars
Wonderful post!

Makes you think twice about any review if there are not a panel of people reviewing the car.

We know BMW has progressed more towards the luxury quotent, but i cant stand hearing the 550i cant get out of its own way. Its just wrong. I've driven the car, and aside from the right pull on one test drive, that is now updateable with softeware, i experience a nicely weighted car.

go figure...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

This arguement is so old. If you dont like the car move on and buy something else. The F10 is doing pretty damn good in sales. I find my 550 to be the an incredible car that I love to drive. I lowered it with a ACS suspension and the car is more firmly planted and gives good feedback. I like it better but it was excellent before I lowered it.

Geez, these reviewers are like food critics, they take a bite then critique ... kick each one of them in the ass on the way out the door.
      06-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
This arguement is so old. If you dont like the car move on and buy something else. The F10 is doing pretty damn good in sales. I find my 550 to be the an incredible car that I love to drive. I lowered it with a ACS suspension and the car is more firmly planted and gives good feedback. I like it better but it was excellent before I lowered it.

Geez, these reviewers are like food critics, they take a bite then critique ... kick each one of them in the ass on the way out the door.
I think you sort of missed my point. One month they love the 535i stick's performance. The reviewer even says its a lot of nay sayer, and less really understand the true benefit of electronic steering.

Then a month later, same ol story, its dumb steering, and ruins the experience.

I know better, but if you never get behind the wheel of a 6 speed manual 550i, the magazine says just because its offered in a manual doesn't make it great is a huge understatement.

1. the fact BMW would engineer this car to have a manual is a big deal. I can't think of a luxury maker of a 70,000 car givign their cars a third pedal.

2. the steering issue can be updated at the dealer, did they get a car that was not updated?

3. I have read and experienced good handling. Thing coming from other bimmers and porsche, its not dialed in handling like a 911, but its not a Buick or Caddy. Its more along the lines of a Caddy V...

So i guess my real issue has to do with how publications flip flop. and change their opinions...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
A friend has a pretty new E60 535d. Some people here mention that the steering is so fantastic on that car. To me it felt like a boat when i drove it. In total, The F10 is a different planet I think.
not sure i can 100 percent agree to this.

a 5 series sport pack 6 speed back in the day was a great handler. with less lbs.

I think the new car is more advanced and more comfortable though. And runflats are decent now...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post

If the F10 is such a fine car car why did you upgrade the car so much? You made enormous upgrades to address the shortcomings of the F10 and yet you are surprised when someone posts concerns about the F10.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
not sure i can 100 percent agree to this.

a 5 series sport pack 6 speed back in the day was a great handler. with less lbs.

I think the new car is more advanced and more comfortable though. And runflats are decent now...
Imo they're STILL the worst part on a OEM BMW, rft's.

Get rid of them asap and enjoy real firm steering precision , less noise and better roadholding. I've been an idiot to drive with rft's for more than 5 years and one year F10...

RFT's suck.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Imo they're STILL the worst part on a OEM BMW, rft's.

Get rid of them asap and enjoy real firm steering precision , less noise and better roadholding. I've been an idiot to drive with rft's for more than 5 years and one year F10...

RFT's suck.
yep, made sure to use the word decent and not the word good or exceptional. because you are right, the regular tires are better. M only uses tires and not runflats.

Guess safety over sport these days...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
If the F10 is such a fine car car why did you upgrade the car so much? You made enormous upgrades to address the shortcomings of the F10 and yet you are surprised when someone posts concerns about the F10.
It is a fine car, but its not perfect.

The changes I made were moderate and building on an already fine machine. Mostly cosmetic but the springs due yield a handling benefit and the exhaust does put some growl to it. All the mods I have done are incredible and a day doesnt go by when I dont have people look at it and comment about how nice it looks. Few times people have come up and asked if its the new M5. Not that I am posing (I wouldve put a quad pipe exhaust) but I take that as a strong compliment because they are saying it looks and sounds like an M5.

What suprises me is how people who dont even own the car critique it so harshley when folks who own it and drive it everyday continue to say how impressed they are with the car. Do you know what I mean?