2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK About to order my first BMW!

02-19-2014, 03:24 AM   #89
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Welshman - you've sort of said it, but the main thing in all of this is getting the deal for 'you' regardless of what % are being bandied around.
If the price offered is agreeable to you the individual, then comparing it to what others have got is irrelevant.
From personal experience as when Cotswold took over the Motorrad franchise I worked there part time for about 9 months as a salesman - I'm semi retired so had the time and it didn't get in the way from my main income producing activity, and I like motorbikes and BMWs especially - I would add this: salesmen like dealing with people who are serious about buying. If you walked in and were serious about buying I'd want to sell the bike to you because if I didn't you would buy it elsewhere. Consequently I'd offer you a good deal straight up - there would still be something to play with around the edges but the fundamentals of the deal would be good. It also helps if the buyer has done his/her research on what they want and realistically the ballpark amount they're going to pay. Going in to a dealer and asking for 25% off list is just going to make them laugh and suggest you go elsewhere, possibly using short jerky movements.

So I know Cotswold and they know that I'm a serious buyer. We looked at what else was out there - they can access all models which are either built - whether in a showroom or en route to the UK or scheduled for build via the Sales System - and then at the car they had, which was the closest in spec to what I wanted. They did the sums and came up with a good offer which with a bit of further refinement i.e. reduction, fitted the bill. Total time taken 1 hour. Pick the car up next week after my towbar has been removed - it's aftermarket.

If I hadn't had an affinity for a particular dealer I would have emailed them all to find out what they had in stock and asked them to reply with the spec they had and their best cash price for that particular car. That would have probably left me with perhaps 2 no more than 3 to speak to.

It also clearly helps if you break down the options into must haves and likes to have - you can dispense with some of the latter if the deal is particularly good.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #90
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

One thing to bear in mind when comparing discounts achieved with other purchasers is how much finance was involved in the deal. The more finance purchased, the easier it will be to achieve larger discounts as BMW will be making money out of lending money to you effectively. So don't expect to get as big a discount paying cash as you would via finance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #91
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

I've got it on good authority that the current discount level us 20% off the ex-vat price on 530d, 535d (including the extras) . This is made up from, £4500 from the finance contribution the rest discount. For better than this you're doing well!
Add this to the promo 4.9% on finance, new can come out cheaper or not far off used when talking as bout overall cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #92
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroll320 View Post
I've got it on good authority that the current discount level us 20% off the ex-vat price on 530d, 535d (including the extras) . This is made up from, £4500 from the finance contribution the rest discount. For better than this you're doing well!
Add this to the promo 4.9% on finance, new can come out cheaper or not far off used when talking as bout overall cost.
It's certainly in that ballpark but it will differ from dealer to dealer. There are a number of factors:

is it near the end of the month and are they short of that month's target?

Do they have the car with the spec you want in stock?

Do they have a car with the spec you want in build?

Is there a part-ex?

if a part-ex and a BMW will it fit the criteria for AUB?

Do you want finance?

Are you likely to get the car serviced there?

This isn't an exhaustive list.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #93
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

Some good points... Maybe we should have a thread for buying advice tips and links etc.
My information came from an old mate in trade, works at Mercedes, but have bmw in same company.
Appreciate 0