2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Should I kick up fuss at the dealer...?

03-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

Should I kick up fuss at the dealer...?

My salesman at the dealer said that I needed to put my deposit down to book a build slot, even though still undecided on spec. Now he says not booked till spec decided and finances approved? Did I get pushed into putting deposit down? I will be handing my car at the end of March, so now that period without a car extended...
Also when the salesman tried to get my deposit said he was matching my Internet deal, now the details say £295 less, a previous offer?
Should I raise hell at the dealer or not? I feel like telling them to shove it and going back to the net dealer.... Options please..

Martyn
      03-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Martyn, I cannot help you with this, as mine was all finalised in one go, I paid my deposit and got confirmation of build within days.

So yes, I would kick off.

Piers
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
dippo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 LCI 520D SE Auto

In your other thread about the deal you talk about delivery in the last week in April, so I'm not sure if you mean week 17 or 18. I believe BMW quote 3 weeks for transport from factory to port, shipment to the UK, transport to dealer and PDI and preparation. That means the car would be built in week 14 or 15; we are already at the end of week 11 (week 12 starts on Monday).

Given the worldwide sourcing of components, I think it's quite reasonable for BMW to expect a confirmed specification at least two weeks before the build date. You can't have a confirmed build date until you confirm your specification. Before you tell your dealer they're being unreasonable, I would recommend that you ask your net dealer for a revised firm delivery date based on the specification you haven't decided on yet!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

If I decided on spec or not... The dealer said I needed to put down the deposit to secure build slot,( even though I was very clear I was undecided on spec) , to make a delivery late of late April..
Then the me it's not booked, until finance agreed on final spec.. So it was a lie?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

TBH, I'd be surprised if the dealer is able to book a slot without a full spec (albeit a spec that you might then have a few days of latitude in which to change). So it does sound like you might have been co-erst into parting with your deposit.
      03-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

I think your right jockey... Maybe I should ask to speak to somebody in management?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

The position used to be as follows:

Orders were Green, then Amber then Red.

Green orders could have the spec amended any way you wanted. These cars were typically dealer orders i.e. no customer yet linked to that dealer order - a couple of weeks or more away from entering the build cycle. To put that in perspective every dealer will have a certain number of cars e.g. 520d F10 saloons - to be ordered each month: the dealer will put in a base spec in the absence of a customer order.

Once they reached Amber status, only smaller spec changes can be accomodated. These cars are close to being built.

Once Red the spec could not be amended at all. These cars are being built.

If you're looking at end April delivery the dealer is probably looking at at a car which is on Green status but close to Amber so will need the main spec details finalised soon. So IMHO the dealer probably isn't being unreasonable in asking for a deposit against a reasonably defined spec with the final details maybe left for a week or two at most.

Take my car as an example. It was a dealer order with no customer linked to it. That continued to be the case so when it reached Amber status the dealer confirmed the spec when it became Red and in due course the car arrived in the showroom with that spec. I then turned up, was OK with the spec and bought it.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Is it simply misunderstanding?

I'd talk with the salesman again, confirm the actions. May be just a bit of confusion with the explanation/method of getting a dated build allocation, confirming the specific build, which has to be done as they need a firm customer order, all signed up.

It's only if the deal has changed where I see a possible problem. But if the specification is not confirmed, not sure if you can have exact figures anyway, until you go through that process.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Is it simply misunderstanding?

I'd talk with the salesman again, confirm the actions. May be just a bit of confusion with the explanation/method of getting a dated build allocation, confirming the specific build, which has to be done as they need a firm customer order, all signed up.

It's only if the deal has changed where I see a possible problem. But if the specification is not confirmed, not sure if you can have exact figures anyway, until you go through that process.

HighlandPete
Definitely not misunderstanding, he was trying to get me to put down a deposit even though I hadn't decided on spec. He said needed to secobuild slot, no way did he think I had finished spec. I had said I would trade mine at the end of March, so wanted to ensure a quick delivery and in my opinion used this to twist my arm into putting down a deposit by inferring that it would secure a build slot...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroll320 View Post
Definitely not misunderstanding, he was trying to get me to put down a deposit even though I hadn't decided on spec. He said needed to secobuild slot, no way did he think I had finished spec. I had said I would trade mine at the end of March, so wanted to ensure a quick delivery and in my opinion used this to twist my arm into putting down a deposit by inferring that it would secure a build slot...
Hasn't he secured the build slot and now wants your full spec' to fulfil the order? Or have you still not got a build slot, even with the deposit?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
You won't put down a deposit unless you have a binding contract. This works both ways. You have a guaranteed build week. The salesman has a binding commitment from you to buy the car when built. As I indicated you don't need an absolutely final spec agreed to enter into the contract. The spec can be altered within limits before the car is built. But don't expect the salesman to give you a commitment to deliver a car without a commitment from you to buy it.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hasn't he secured the build slot and now wants your full spec' to fulfil the order? Or have you still not got a build slot, even with the deposit?

HighlandPete
No build slot till finance approved and need final spec. Still undecided on colorant trim. And going to dealer to see mfd (6wb) Thurs. I suppose I'm one who won't decide till I have too...
Basically it's sophisto and oyster or alpine and black (again). With either adaptive led, or adaptive xenons and mfd....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
You won't put down a deposit unless you have a binding contract. This works both ways. You have a guaranteed build week. The salesman has a binding commitment from you to buy the car when built. As I indicated you don't need an absolutely final spec agreed to enter into the contract. The spec can be altered within limits before the car is built. But don't expect the salesman to give you a commitment to deliver a car without a commitment from you to buy it.
I thought we did have a binding contract... But it seems that it's only for me to buy! But as said before no final spec, no finance... No build slot!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:

HighlandPete
Yes, I 'd say this is what has happened, on the basis that if you pull out, he will take the car anyway into stock.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No build slot till finance approved and need final spec. Still undecided on colorant trim. And going to dealer to see mfd (6wb) Thurs. I suppose I'm one who won't decide till I have too...
Basically it's sophisto and oyster or alpine and black (again). With either adaptive led, or adaptive xenons and mfd....
Surely to get an April delivery you must have at least a 'pencilled in' build allocation.

I wonder if your apparent delay in confirming your order is making them nervous that you may pull out.

Must ask why you haven't got an order under way, to meet your April delivery?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Surely to get an April delivery you must have at least a 'pencilled in' build allocation.

I wonder if your apparent delay in confirming your order is making them nervous that you may pull out.
....I put a deposit down?
Must ask why you haven't got an order under way, to meet your April delivery?
I`ve answered this about 6 times.... I`m undecided on spec, until I viewed colours trims and mfd I couldn`t posibly put a final spec down. But the salesman "inferred" that I was securing a build slot by putting down a deposit and if I had n`t asked would have been told it wasn`t booked.
I`m going to ring today and try and get it sorted. Apparently they`re getting a f10 with mfd on thurs so I can view it then. I`l decided on colour and trim when I have to I think?
      03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep

All sorted hopefully... But last week I asked for a quote with different options, took over three days to get it emailed? I asked to speak to the dealer principle, he offered me my deposit back, no doubt to head off my complaint... Anyway some hard work on his part today and we've made up... Dealer done, dealer build slot booked for mine in week 14...
I hope it's all smooth from here....
Appreciate 0