2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum OBD port

05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

OBD port

Can anyone tell me where the OBD(2) port is in the F07?
There has been a lot of correspondence on another forum (bmwland) concerning keyless thefts of high end BMW's and this is apparently done through the OBD port being accessed and used to drive the car away without even breaking a window to gain entry.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Well, maybe the user's manual they provide for the UK is different, but it is shown in the USA version...it is located to the left of the steering wheel, near the bottom of the panel on the left-hand drive version vehicle. Don't know if they flipped that for right-hand drive, or it's still on the left for your vehicle. But, it is definately inside of a (hopefully) locked vehicle - there is no access to it from the exterior.

Now, I have no idea if the vehicle was unlocked, if it could be started from the OBD port, but it certainly isn't accessable without breaking in.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

If you have the time (or inclination!) go to www.bmwland.co.uk click on forums then click on general BMW help/advice then scroll down to theft of late bmw's- WARNING.
Lot's of interesting contributions.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelh View Post
Can anyone tell me where the OBD(2) port is in the F07?
There has been a lot of correspondence on another forum (bmwland) concerning keyless thefts of high end BMW's and this is apparently done through the OBD port being accessed and used to drive the car away without even breaking a window to gain entry.
Have you checked your driver's handbook? I realise my F10 is not the same as your F07, but I would think it likely that the OBD port location is similar.
In my manual it's listed in the index under 'OBD' and the location is underneath and forward of the small storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel - got to be worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Have you checked your driver's handbook? I realise my F10 is not the same as your F07, but I would think it likely that the OBD port location is similar.
In my manual it's listed in the index under 'OBD' and the location is underneath and forward of the small storage compartment to the right of the steering wheel - got to be worth a look.
Thanks JonD,found it.Just need to block it off for overnights etc or longer periods when unattended (dummy insert)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelh View Post
Thanks JonD,found it.Just need to block it off for overnights etc or longer periods when unattended (dummy insert)
Good idea; any thoughts as to how you're going to block it off?
I'll have a closer look at mine and see if I can come up with any ideas; might be a good plan to share our thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Good idea; any thoughts as to how you're going to block it off?
I'll have a closer look at mine and see if I can come up with any ideas; might be a good plan to share our thoughts on this.
Did you see Watchdog tonight? Looks like BMW will have to bite the bullet on this one... at last!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
BMW announces a dealer software upgrade to fix the issue

Reported in AutoExpress
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/602...-hi-tech-theft

A BMW spokesman confirmed that the upgrade will be carried out by dealers free of charge. Owners with affected cars should contact their BMW dealers or call BMW’s hotline on 0800 083 4397.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Reported in AutoExpress
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/602...-hi-tech-theft

A BMW spokesman confirmed that the upgrade will be carried out by dealers free of charge. Owners with affected cars should contact their BMW dealers or call BMW’s hotline on 0800 083 4397.
Thanks for the link.Amazing how BMW has at last responded after national exposure of the problem.They initially denied there was a problem at all and came out with the usual lame excuse of "complying with all EU directives etc".
I still think this security problem deserves an international recall as I assume it applies to ALL cars manufactured between the specified dates and models.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
This is not a BMW car specific problem because under EU law, all franchised and independent dealers need access to the OBD port and so access codes, locations and other details need to be published for the trade.

All cars with OBD ports are vulnerable. However some marquees are targeted more than others by organised car theives to serve demand in Africa and Eastern Europe. So BMWs, Audis, Minis, Mercedes etc are perhaps more vulnerable than others.

I am not sure it is a recall issue as this does not threaten the safety/integrity of the vehicle systems themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
This is not a BMW car specific problem because under EU law, all franchised and independent dealers need access to the OBD port and so access codes, locations and other details need to be published for the trade.

All cars with OBD ports are vulnerable. However some marquees are targeted more than others by organised car theives to serve demand in Africa and Eastern Europe. So BMWs, Audis, Minis, Mercedes etc are perhaps more vulnerable than others.

I am not sure it is a recall issue as this does not threaten the safety/integrity of the vehicle systems themselves.
Well this appears to be very much BMW's line.
I would argue that any system that allows access to a locked vehicle in 30 secs with a reprogrammed key through the cars own diagnostic port is a very serious situation.It also appears that this fault is particularily being used on accessing BMW's.The fact that the police are leafleting BMW cars in certain hotspot areas is significant.I don't know if Audi,Mini,Mercedes etc owners are being treated in this manner by the police.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Stingray2
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

BMW GT (F07) not currently affected

Hi guys,
I, too, was concerned about this security issue. After much reading I realised that this problem does NOT currently affect ANY of the F series cars. To double check this I spoke with BMW and they confirmed that no F series cars are affected. So I now sleep far easier with my 530d GT (F07) parked outside.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2 View Post
Hi guys,
I, too, was concerned about this security issue. After much reading I realised that this problem does NOT currently affect ANY of the F series cars. To double check this I spoke with BMW and they confirmed that no F series cars are affected. So I now sleep far easier with my 530d GT (F07) parked outside.
Great news,thanks.But I remain concerned for those who are affected,also BMW's handling of the issue.
Appreciate 0