2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Hid Kit

02-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #45
bmwrepairman
Rep
Drives: 2010 F11

In my experience even if you bought super really small ballasts they will not fit in the headlamp assembly, have you thought about error cancelling? I take it your F10 has factory fitted halogens?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #46
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrepairman View Post
Luigimaster 24, I have an F11, tried a few HID kits, High beam and Fogs no problem, no errors. Can you tell me what DDM HID kit you are using with what error cancellor on the LOW Beam as I am keen to get this sorted, Thanks
HI, sorry for the late reply. I am using the "raptor" ballasts which are the regular sized ones with no error, I would have used slim ballasts but they didn't have them in stock when I bought them, so I just went with the raptor thick ballast and is working perfectly fine up to date. Hope this helps.

Here is the link for the HID raptor Kit: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

Here is the link for the error code cancellors:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Er...minator-3-PAIR
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #47
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDhillon View Post
My 330 has factory xenons, but my f10 has got halogens which look pretty bad lol, i was just wondering if i order a hid kit, would it be wiser to get the ones with super slim ballasts or should the normal fit fine in the headlamp housing.
I would get the slims, although I have the thick regular ballasts on my f10 which I pretty muched squeezed into that little door entrance in the wheel well where the lowbeam is located. So if the thick one fit (barely) the slim ballast should fit much more conveniently.

Here are pictures of the HID lighting on my F10, although I changed my fogs to 6000K to match my lows shortly after that picture was taken.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #48
DonDhillon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 (08) / 530d F10 (11)

nice, i received a hid kit today i got off ebay, it was all working well with the engine off, but once i switched the engine on it started to flicker/flash, have you experienced this?
maybe its because i havent used the error cancellors?
although i had no error message come up without the cancellors

E90 330i 2008 - Sparkling Graphite
F10 530d 2011 - Carbon Black (M-Sport Package)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #49
DonDhillon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 (08) / 530d F10 (11)

oh i forgot to ask how did you manage to fit the hid bulb in place, because i realised that once i plugged the two leads into the bulb connector it cant be used to hold the bulb in place

E90 330i 2008 - Sparkling Graphite
F10 530d 2011 - Carbon Black (M-Sport Package)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #50
bmwrepairman
Rep

What kit did you get off of ebay? digital or analogue? The F10/F11 have a unique system for the low beam power/monitoring circuit in the LCM. I have been working on this for 2 months and whilst I have no problems with the high beam and fogs, utilising slim digital ballast with capacitors(error cancellors, a very loose term) the lows are completely different. The high beams and fogs are not "monitored" for failure after engine start. Whereas the lows are powered differently by the LCM to enable the system to prolong the life of the halogen bulb Ha, Ha, so when we try to power our aftermarket HiDs we get all sorts of problems. It is mentioned on a lot of sites that a relay harness with ballast resistors is the answer, whilst this indeed works the ballast resistors run VERY hot as they dissipate some 20+ watt constantly. Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I have developed a piece of electronics that will ensure F10/F11s run with any kind of aftermarket HiD kit without the use of high power ballast resistors or a full relay kit. If you read back through this thread "Luigimaster24" has been able to get a DDM Raptor kit with their error cancellors to work error free, I have yet to have a try of these and they appear quite cheap only about $45 US but there will be the shipping costs but if they work even a $100 is worth it. If you are a bit electronically minded and could build a simple pcb with directions I would be happy to let you have the details when I have built one beyond the prototype stage. I mean a small box that is both heat and water resistant. I should have all the parts in a few days and expect them to cost about $30. The error cancelling capacitors used on their own can/may cause some harm to your LCM if used on the low beam. You can see this particularly on audi's and volvo's also. Although failures on BMWs are rare, who knows how much a new LCM will cost. Because like you I hate the halogen look so much (should have spent the extra for the Xenons in the first place) I am currently using a full relay harness with ballast resistors, have had no dramas but will be happier when I have fitted my own error cancelling and power module. I will post the results asap.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #51
bmwrepairman
Rep

Just a note on how to fit the HiD bulbs, if you kit did not come with a couple of extra clips you will have to use and cut your existing ones on the car so you can fit them over the HiD wires, or better still get a couple of spare ones from you local dealer.

Do you intend to keep the F10 for quite a while? Or if you know a mechanic/dealer well you can get the LCM reprogrammed for Xenons not Halogens and a lot of the problem of flashing and errors post engine start up will be cured.

Best of luc, sorry the note is so long but after a couple of months at this problem I have tried almost everthing to get a solution and I am glad I am nearly at the end
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #52
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

If the LCM goes, the part alone is close to $900. I have done this on my E60 and the HID canbus kit blew out my LCM.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #53
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Wow this is all very complicated. Why anyone thinks of ordering an F10/11 or E90/91 without the visisbility pack, or at least xenons, I'll never know - particularly on such an expensive car.

The poster who said they should be standard is absolutely right. they have been standard on the E92/93 for ever.

If you test drive an F10/11 at night with halogen headlights you realise straight away that they are pathetic and xenons are a must-order option. I wouldn;t buy a used car without them either.
      02-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #54
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
Wow this is all very complicated. Why anyone thinks of ordering an F10/11 or E90/91 without the visisbility pack, or at least xenons, I'll never know - particularly on such an expensive car.

The poster who said they should be standard is absolutely right. they have been standard on the E92/93 for ever.

If you test drive an F10/11 at night with halogen headlights you realise straight away that they are pathetic and xenons are a must-order option. I wouldn;t buy a used car without them either.
In my case I have to pay cash on delivery for all options added to the company car. The visibilty pack is a lot of ching I would have to find. Or I can get aftermarket brighter bulbs which do make a significant difference - at least they do on my E91.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #55
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post

Needless to say , one of the worst parts of NOT getting the xenon lighting option is not having "angel eyes" run as daytime running lights on halogen headlights AND the dim "angel eyes" when turning on parking lights.

If God wills, from here on I will not purchase another car without having xenon headlamps. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #56
bmwrepairman
Rep

Just to let you know the prototype additional small pcb with 5 discreet components works as expected plug and play with any HiD Kit analogue or digital no errors and will not affect the LCM. It has been well worth the time invested. I am now going to finalise the design to make it as small as possible and heat and waterproof. It should be approx 65mm x 35mm x 30mm and will easily be tucked away under the bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #57
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 2d M Sport, F800GS

I installed the kit from Stealth Auto. At first without the anti flicker kit. It worked well without starting the car. It was a very big job. Removed the front wheels and then the plastic inner cover in the wheel arch. The ballast did not fit inside the light housing. The kit comes with a grommet on the bulb wires. I had to cut a 20mm hole in the round light cover. I mounted the ballast under the light with cable ties. I only switched the lights on to see if they work. Once done on both sides I wanted to take the car for a drive with the new lights. When I started the car the lights started to flicker and then turned off. Got Right and Left bulb failure on the onboard computer. I had to change everything back to normal and wait another 3 weeks for the Anti Flicker kit. When I received the kit the whole job took me about an hour. The Anti flicker kit works. The lights stay on all the time. I only installed the kit on the low beams. It is a major improvement on the light quality. I had one problem the other day, the vertical aim control failed. The lights did not adjust up and down. Switched the car of and restarted and all was fine. Did not have any other problems. The low beams definitely need xenon bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #58
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Just to let you know the prototype additional small pcb with 5 discreet components works as expected plug and play with any HiD Kit analogue or digital no errors and will not affect the LCM. It has been well worth the time invested. I am now going to finalise the design to make it as small as possible and heat and waterproof. It should be approx 65mm x 35mm x 30mm and will easily be tucked away under the bonnet.
I might be interested. As long as it is not necessary to cut any wires on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #59
bmwrepairman
Rep

have you had any errors after fitting the anti flicker "kit" as it is quite risky as far as the LCM module if the anti flicker is just a capacitor. There are quite large spikes in terms of negative voltage that will exist that the LCM is not designed to handle. I have not been able to confirm the exact lcm connections thru the wiring harness but if the headlamp low i.e. the negative connection does not go directly to ground, via another component the LCM could suffer. But I would be interested to know what kit and anti flicker you purchased from stealth autos
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #60
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
have you had any errors after fitting the anti flicker "kit" as it is quite risky as far as the LCM module if the anti flicker is just a capacitor. There are quite large spikes in terms of negative voltage that will exist that the LCM is not designed to handle. I have not been able to confirm the exact lcm connections thru the wiring harness but if the headlamp low i.e. the negative connection does not go directly to ground, via another component the LCM could suffer. But I would be interested to know what kit and anti flicker you purchased from stealth autos
Here is a link to the product page
http://www.stealthauto.com/bmw-5-series/F10-Lights.aspx
I ordered the HID Headlights - Full Aftermarket Replacement Kit and the HID Anti Flicker Capacitors - Error Code Canceller (1 Pair)

I did measure the resistanse on the so called Anti flicker Capasitors. I dont think they are just capasitors because I did measure some resistance. Can't remember the Ohm reading. But after installing them I have not realy had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #61
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Any news? is it working?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #62
bmwrepairman
Rep

Yes, as I said about the prototype the final design is working great, no errors at all, works with any HiD kit old analogue, newer digital versions and is not bothered whether they are 35 or 55 watt.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #63
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Yes, as I said about the prototype the final design is working great, no errors at all, works with any HiD kit old analogue, newer digital versions and is not bothered whether they are 35 or 55 watt.
Are you going to sell the unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #64
bmwrepairman
Rep

when I have finalised design and completed electrical and safety tests, I will be confident of its long term performance and reliability. I have had it working for over 3 weeks now and no problems, but be warned it is not cheap to build but on the other hand will not damage your LCM and is re-usable on other cars should you change vehicles. I will keep posting progress
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #65
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
when I have finalised design and completed electrical and safety tests, I will be confident of its long term performance and reliability. I have had it working for over 3 weeks now and no problems, but be warned it is not cheap to build but on the other hand will not damage your LCM and is re-usable on other cars should you change vehicles. I will keep posting progress
Are we there yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #66
AJ MAN
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528I 2011

I need some one help i have BMW 528I 2011... and i don't have Xenon lights what i should do ??HELP HELP
Appreciate 0