2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum The cracked wheel thread

03-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

The cracked wheel thread

A story, some pics, and some questions. First the story. I have a 2011 535i with the style 237 18" wheels that I bought used in 2014. A couple of months ago, the TPMS pops on my right rear tire. I didn't really think anything of it, as it had been a while since I had checked them, and it was that time of 'winter' in Virginia where it can be in the mid-60s all week then below freezing the next day. A couple weeks later, it pops again, then a week or so after that. I figure I have a nail in the tire. After a few rounds of topping it up, it has got to the point where I am topping it up twice a week. I fill it to about 45psi, and three days later it is down around 25psi. I take the tire off and see no signs of a nail or any other issue. I kinda figured it might be a bad valve, but as I was taking a few preemptive pictures of the condition of the wheel I find THREE cracks on the back side (see pics). It would appear on the first pic that the wheel was previously cracked and repaired. That darker color is actually ground down a little. Based upon the Carfax showing servicing at a BMW dealer in NYC near Shea Stadium and LaGuardia Airport, it has probably seen it's fair share of potholes.

1. I have seen many threads about folks blowing out sidewalls on their runflat tires. I haven't noticed as many about broken wheels. How many on here have cracked an OEM wheel? If there is a large number, it might be worth starting a complaint with NHTSA. On my e46, enough people complained about bad wiring harnesses on the taillights that eventually BMW was forced to issue a recall, and reimburse those of us who shelled out for a new wiring harness before the recall.

2. I took the other three wheels off and they all look fine. No signs of damage of any kind. Much as I would like to put some new bling on the car, and drop about 4-5lbs of unsprung mass off each corner, I am thinking about buying another style 237 wheel. Anyone know anything about these guys? http://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/9062/al...116775407.html Compared to $400 from the dealership, that is looking pretty good.
Attached Images

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I'd also look at ebay. Here is one with a used tire in decent shape for a couple of bucks more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-...pWDbFO&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I am good on tires, so I don't need to pay to ship an extra one to me.

I am pretty surprised that more people haven't chimed in. I guess my situation is more unusual than I thought it was.

EDIT: Mods, I probably should have put this in the wheels section, sorry.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I've had a cracked 20" BMW OEM wheel that I replaced, also got another one with a very fine crack in it now...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9
A story, some pics, and some questions. First the story. I have a 2011 535i with the style 237 18" wheels that I bought used in 2014. A couple of months ago, the TPMS pops on my right rear tire. I didn't really think anything of it, as it had been a while since I had checked them, and it was that time of 'winter' in Virginia where it can be in the mid-60s all week then below freezing the next day. A couple weeks later, it pops again, then a week or so after that. I figure I have a nail in the tire. After a few rounds of topping it up, it has got to the point where I am topping it up twice a week. I fill it to about 45psi, and three days later it is down around 25psi. I take the tire off and see no signs of a nail or any other issue. I kinda figured it might be a bad valve, but as I was taking a few preemptive pictures of the condition of the wheel I find THREE cracks on the back side (see pics). It would appear on the first pic that the wheel was previously cracked and repaired. That darker color is actually ground down a little. Based upon the Carfax showing servicing at a BMW dealer in NYC near Shea Stadium and LaGuardia Airport, it has probably seen it's fair share of potholes.

1. I have seen many threads about folks blowing out sidewalls on their runflat tires. I haven't noticed as many about broken wheels. How many on here have cracked an OEM wheel? If there is a large number, it might be worth starting a complaint with NHTSA. On my e46, enough people complained about bad wiring harnesses on the taillights that eventually BMW was forced to issue a recall, and reimburse those of us who shelled out for a new wiring harness before the recall.

2. I took the other three wheels off and they all look fine. No signs of damage of any kind. Much as I would like to put some new bling on the car, and drop about 4-5lbs of unsprung mass off each corner, I am thinking about buying another style 237 wheel. Anyone know anything about these guys? http://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/9062/al...116775407.html Compared to $400 from the dealership, that is looking pretty good.
That's a very bad repair job on a wheel that clearly should NEVER have been repaired. Those cracks are all bad welds. Once it's cracked it should be scrapped.

There is even a 4th weld I can see in the first pic that's about to bust, right at the barrel to inner rim seat.

This has nothing to do with BMW or the wheel manufacturer, so suggesting complaint to NHTSA (who really couldn't care less about wheels) is inappropriate.

I'd be rather reluctant to trust the other 3 and would have them looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
This has nothing to do with BMW or the wheel manufacturer...
How do you figure? You have no idea what the circumstances were that lead to this wheel being cracked in three places (and neither do I). So how can you say it isn't the fault of BMW or the wheel manufacturer? It probably isn't based upon the lack of responses to this thread. I guess it isn't a widespread problem, so it probably was a case of hitting several potholes in NYC, or something.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This has nothing to do with BMW or the wheel manufacturer...
How do you figure? You have no idea what the circumstances were that lead to this wheel being cracked in three places (and neither do I). So how can you say it isn't the fault of BMW or the wheel manufacturer? It probably isn't based upon the lack of responses to this thread. I guess it isn't a widespread problem, so it probably was a case of hitting several potholes in NYC, or something.
I know just a *little* bit about wheels...

The circumstances as to why it cracked originally are actually quite easy to surmise. There was an extreme impact which exceeded the ultimate load. Any details beyond that are irrelevant.

That wheel is required to withstand 15' and 30' static load impact at 825kg (1,819lbs) at which the wheel rim will deform, but it cannot fracture as this would be considered a failure of the test.

In the interest of safety and quality products, we go well beyond the minimum requirements. 15', 30', and 90' Static and Operating Tests (tire/wheel assembly mounted on a rotating test rig at 48mph) are performed at 2.5 times design load (4,548lbs). Fracturing is allowed and expected, but it must not be extensive enough to allow complete separation of the deflated tire from the rim seat for 1500m.

This image shows the result of a 90' Extreme Severity (2.5 times ultimate load) test. It is the same size (18x8.5), manufactured of the same material, and from the same facility as your wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

A question...have you replaces tires?

Also there are 4 more spots that have definitely been welded in addition to the 3 that have cracked and the 4th that was about to go.

In the 3rd pic, there is a huge weld on the outer flange, just before the spokes begin.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I swapped out the run flat tires about a year ago for normal tires. The place I took it to didn't mention any cracks, but that doesn't really mean anything. The one that has obviously been repaired before predates my ownership of the car. I figure the other two have been there for a while too, as the roads are pretty good around where we live, and I have never had any major impacts with potholes, curbs, or anything else.

Like I said in my original post, I figured this would be a more frequent problem based upon the increased load that RFT will transmit to the wheel and the many threads about bubbled sidewalls on RFT. I guess the previous owner must have hit a pretty big hole at some point.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
I swapped out the run flat tires about a year ago for normal tires. The place I took it to didn't mention any cracks, but that doesn't really mean anything. The one that has obviously been repaired before predates my ownership of the car. I figure the other two have been there for a while too, as the roads are pretty good around where we live, and I have never had any major impacts with potholes, curbs, or anything else.

Like I said in my original post, I figured this would be a more frequent problem based upon the increased load that RFT will transmit to the wheel and the many threads about bubbled sidewalls on RFT. I guess the previous owner must have hit a pretty big hole at some point.
So the tire that's on that wheel was installed after you acquired it correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
I know just a *little* bit about wheels...

The circumstances as to why it cracked originally are actually quite easy to surmise. There was an extreme impact which exceeded the ultimate load. Any details beyond that are irrelevant.

That wheel is required to withstand 15' and 30' static load impact at 825kg (1,819lbs) at which the wheel rim will deform, but it cannot fracture as this would be considered a failure of the test.

In the interest of safety and quality products, we go well beyond the minimum requirements. 15', 30', and 90' Static and Operating Tests (tire/wheel assembly mounted on a rotating test rig at 48mph) are performed at 2.5 times design load (4,548lbs). Fracturing is allowed and expected, but it must not be extensive enough to allow complete separation of the deflated tire from the rim seat for 1500m.

This image shows the result of a 90' Extreme Severity (2.5 times ultimate load) test. It is the same size (18x8.5), manufactured of the same material, and from the same facility as your wheels.
Who do you work for?

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
That is correct.

Who do you work for?
That's interesting...kinda looks as if there is thermal scarring on the sidewall.

I work for myself. Wheel manufacturing is one business interest I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #13
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I have to say, if these wheels came from NYC, then them having cracks is not surprising. When I lived in the NYC area I had cracked and bent rims many times when driving in NYC. The roads are horrible.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really, you don't work for someone in the wheel industry?

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #15
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Really, you don't work for someone in the wheel industry?
I'm a partner in two wheel manufacturing companies. We have several dozen trade brands.
Appreciate 0