2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW - Side Rear View Mirrors

04-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Xperts
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F10-535i 2011, Audi Q7 2012,

BMW - Side Rear View Mirrors

My current F10-535i and the previous E92-335i both have/had a very narrow view of the rear and there have been several times luck has prevented be from getting involved in an accident while changing lanes. The view is too narrow and it's specific to BMW's (without the heated mirrors that have convex edges).

My 535i is equipped with the blind spot warning system yet when joining from a side road and accelerating into the fast lanes (car is at an angle) the radars miss out the car to the left (left hand drive).

I complained to the Agency Manager when i had the 335i and was assured that BMW would look into this but nothing has been done so far in improving the coverage of the rear view mirrors. Heated rear view mirror are not offered here though heated seats are, one wonders on the choices made by the dealers here!!!!
      04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The "GULF Versions" have their own specific mirrors that are not the wide angle mirrors found in Europe.

I dont know why you get the different mirrors, but it must have had something to do with local legislation.

Maybe you can try and order the European Wide angle mirror glass ?
      04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xperts View Post
My current F10-535i and the previous E92-335i both have/had a very narrow view of the rear and there have been several times luck has prevented be from getting involved in an accident while changing lanes. The view is too narrow and it's specific to BMW's (without the heated mirrors that have convex edges).

My 535i is equipped with the blind spot warning system yet when joining from a side road and accelerating into the fast lanes (car is at an angle) the radars miss out the car to the left (left hand drive).

I complained to the Agency Manager when i had the 335i and was assured that BMW would look into this but nothing has been done so far in improving the coverage of the rear view mirrors. Heated rear view mirror are not offered here though heated seats are, one wonders on the choices made by the dealers here!!!!
That sucks!
Hint: adjust the side mirrors so that from your normal driving point of view, looking into them you can just barely see your car. This will improve your angles of visibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Maybe you can try and order the European Wide angle mirror glass ?
Yeah, this is a good idea. If you have trouble ordering say something and we might try to help!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Can't say I have any problems with this at all. Do you guys get different mirrors then then we do here in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
jftoha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport /2011 535is

I switched to my F10 from an E63 6 Series and immediately noticed the narrow side mirrors. It is was probably the thing that I disliked the most of the car when i first drove it. I would love to get the wide angle mirrors if it was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xperts View Post

José Tohá ---------------------------------Chilean Architect, Living in Washington, DC.
PRESENT: F10 535I Sport, Alpina 21" wheels, AC Schnitzer springs, M5 Grill.
PAST: E63, E39 (2), E34 (2), E36, E24, E30 (2)
Appreciate 0