2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 - Found Halogen Bulbs that work, at last

12-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Cool F10 - Found Halogen Bulbs that work, at last

Greeting all those in OEM Halogen pain land.... as you know the stock Osrams are incredibly dim/rubbish, even a candle on a stick would be better...

About 18 months ago I replaced them for Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs and saw a noticeable improvement, but still 'meh'. Just before a BMW service last week one bulb blew, so asked BMW to replace it....and they used a stock Osram ... and as expected that side was notably dimmer than the remaining Philips one.... (Low Beam)

So I bought the Osram Nightbreaker UNLIMITED and fitted those (very quickly having learned how to get through the Fort Knox front wheel access system last time!)

I wouldn't say these are the Dogs undercarriage, but they are brilliant compared to the Philips, and Night and Day compared to the stock bulbs. Whiter, longer, brighter, YES

I can now be confident in the dark, I see the road, and markings etc. and would recommend these, £17 off eBay (PowerBulbs). I will report back on how long they last
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Thats interesting as I put the osrams into my car and to be honest though they were meh !!!
I was actually considering putting the Philips bulbs in to replase the osrams .
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting, so you tried the new night breakers? Well as they say, your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Greeting all those in OEM Halogen pain land.... as you know the stock Osrams are incredibly dim/rubbish, even a candle on a stick would be better...

About 18 months ago I replaced them for Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs and saw a noticeable improvement, but still 'meh'. Just before a BMW service last week one bulb blew, so asked BMW to replace it....and they used a stock Osram ... and as expected that side was notably dimmer than the remaining Philips one.... (Low Beam)

So I bought the Osram Nightbreaker UNLIMITED and fitted those (very quickly having learned how to get through the Fort Knox front wheel access system last time!)

I wouldn't say these are the Dogs undercarriage, but they are brilliant compared to the Philips, and Night and Day compared to the stock bulbs. Whiter, longer, brighter, YES

I can now be confident in the dark, I see the road, and markings etc. and would recommend these, £17 off eBay (PowerBulbs). I will report back on how long they last
Can you post the ebay listing?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Can you post the eBay listing?
Here's the one I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-NIGH...item35ce155273

There of course are not the stock Osrams that BMW fit at factory (which are rubbish)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Here's the one I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-NIGH...item35ce155273

There of course are not the stock Osrams that BMW fit at factory (which are rubbish)
Now that's after making things even more interesting . The osram night breakers I put in were not the same as the ones in the link ! Time to try again
Appreciate 0