2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Ordering a 2014 535dx Options & Colors?

11-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Ordering a 2014 535dx Options & Colors?

Hi all,

I need your expert advice.

I am purchasing a new 535dx in the U.S. I am planning on taking ED (European Delivery). I have to make some hard choices on options because of budget constraints I can only get 1 or 2 Packages, maybe. The only option I am definitely getting is the Harmon Kardon surround sound system. I would really like fog lights, but I don't want to pay 2 or 3k to upgrade the base model just to get fog lights.

As far as color goes. I am probably going with Alpine white for lack of a better choice. My 335d is non-metallic red, and I wish that color was available for the F10.

I need help on parsing out which are the best bang for the buck options to order. I am concerned about resale value, and don't want to through money away on options I will never get my money back on, but I do want to have a fully functional sports sedan for cross country and winter mountain conditions. I live in Indiana where X-drive is not needed, but I often drive to the Rockies for ski trips.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-02-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Hi all,

I am purchasing a new 535dx in the U.S. I am planning on taking ED (European Delivery). I have to make some hard choices on options because of budget constraints I can only get 1 or 2 Packages, maybe. The only option I am definitely getting is the Harmon Kardon surround sound system. I would really like fog lights, but I don't want to pay 2 or 3k to upgrade the base model just to get fog lights.

As far as color goes. I am probably going with Alpine white for lack of a better choice. My 335d is non-metallic red, and I wish that color was available for the F10.

I need help on parsing out which are the best bang for the buck options to order. I am concerned about resale value, and don't want to through money away on options I will never get my money back on, but I do want to have a fully functional sports sedan for cross country and winter mountain conditions. I live in Indiana where X-drive is not needed, but I often drive to the Rockies for ski trips.

Color is a personal choice. Jet black and one of the whites are no extra cost colors. Most other colors are only a $550 add on- plenty of choices; I'm sure you can find something you'll like. Exterior Blacks are the toughest to keep clean and the whites, grays and beiges are the easiest to keep clean. Interiors: black is the easiest to keep clean.

You drive to the Rockies for ski trips? So do I - you need X Drive. So, if you add X Drive, HK sound and an add on for paint, you're keeping your costs down. The 535d comes with Nav which is the one option that most people now want. This would hold its resale value just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Hi all,

What is the Maximum MSRP that you are willing to go?

I would personally go with M-Sport, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport Auto Trans, Rear Camera & Harman Kardon ... I think that is as stripped down as I could comfortably go.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your replies to my post all.

The price I am willing to spend depends on incentives. I am counting on an eco-credit, ED discount, and Loyalty cash to allow me to get a few options. this car is a real stretch for me. It is a huge financial leap from a 3 series diesel.

If all the incentives come in, and my investments pan out

I am hoping I'll be able to afford $68,200. (dream build is $82,000)

$68,200 would give me 535dx:

Alpine White (wish there was a non-metallic red)
Luxury Line (just to get the fog lights)
Mocha interior
DHP (dynamic handling package)
Lighting Package
Harmon Kardon

If no big incentives, then it is the base model with Harmon Kardon

I am wondering if I will get the money back on DHP at resale, or if it is just an expense. That is one pricey package. Any thoughts?

Cold weather package I can do with out. I never really liked heated seats. I've always just turned them off as soon as they come on.
Sport Auto: is that the paddle shifters?
I have never used manual mode in my current car, but maybe I would if I had paddle shifters.
Do you use them a lot?

M-sport would be nice, but I would have to lose DHP to get it... Also, isn't the M-Sport just an appearance pkg. Where as the DHP is an actual performance enhancement?

Premium Pkg: I have been back and forth about, but I got to cut someplace, and I think I can go through the anguish of putting a key in the slot, and I can use my iPhone to download podcasts and listen to music in areas where there isn't much on the radio, but satellite radio would be nice. I guess I'll have to fumble for my key when I want to open the trunk too.

Rear Camera I want, but I think you have to add park distance when that option is checked, so that brings it up to $1150, and you might as well add the driver assistance pkg at that point, and then I am tempted to add the top camera to that for another $750.

I really like the way the ceramic controls go with the Mocha interior, but that seemed like a crazy way to spend money, so I nixed that option too.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-04-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Thanks for your replies to my post all.

The price I am willing to spend depends on incentives. I am counting on an eco-credit, ED discount, and Loyalty cash to allow me to get a few options. this car is a real stretch for me. It is a huge financial leap from a 3 series diesel.

If all the incentives come in, and my investments pan out

I am hoping I'll be able to afford $68,200. (dream build is $82,000)

$68,200 would give me 535dx:

Alpine White (wish there was a non-metallic red)
Luxury Line (just to get the fog lights)
Mocha interior
DHP (dynamic handling package)
Lighting Package
Harmon Kardon

If no big incentives, then it is the base model with Harmon Kardon

I am wondering if I will get the money back on DHP at resale, or if it is just an expense. That is one pricey package. Any thoughts?

Cold weather package I can do with out. I never really liked heated seats. I've always just turned them off as soon as they come on.
Sport Auto: is that the paddle shifters?
I have never used manual mode in my current car, but maybe I would if I had paddle shifters.
Do you use them a lot?

M-sport would be nice, but I would have to lose DHP to get it...

Premium Pkg: I have been back and forth about, but I got to cut someplace, and I think I can go through the anguish of putting a key in the slot, and I can use my iPhone to download podcasts and listen to music in areas where there isn't much on the radio, but gospel. I guess I'll have to fumble for my key when I want to open the trunk too.

Rear Camera I want, but I think you have to add park distance when that option is checked, so that brings it up to $1150, and you might as well add the driver assistance pkg at that point, and then I am tempted to add the top camera to that for another $750.

I really like the way the ceramic controls go with the Mocha interior, but that seemed like a crazy way to spend money, so I nixed that option.
If you are concerned about resale, you should check with your dealer to see what the popular options are. Some people like lots of tech (lane assist, stop & go, night vision, etc) and some people like a sportier look and handling (MSport - non x), DHP. Others like luxury.

I got a lightly optioned 535 X Drive (M Sport, Executive, Apps). There are lots of options I would have liked but decided what was most important to me. One option I would have liked to improve handling was DHP, but I couldn't find a car with it to test drive, so I passed. You ask whether this option was just an expense - actually, the whole car is a depreciating asset (expense) so you should get what pleases you. I doubt any particular options will increase the value of a used car, but might make it easier to sell later.

One final note, if I was buying an X Drive for mountain duty, I'd find it odd if it didn't have the cold weather stuff (heated seats, headlight washers, etc.)

Just my $0.02 worth.
      11-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, the whole car is a depreciating asset, but I have always found that options depreciate at a faster rate then the basic car.

However some options are so desirable that they depreciate at about the same rate as the basic car because they are considered essential, or make the car unique, and therefore more desirable.

For example back in the day when you used to have to order air conditioning as an option. That was a huge positive for resale. Also depending on the market you are in, AWD or diesel makes a car unique and rare on the resale market, and increases resale value.

Conversely, ordering heavy duty springs, sway bars, tow package on a pickup truck. You got no money back on those options.

I just wonder if at resale time DHP is more like ordering the heavy duty springs, and you get no money back from it at resale time, or does it make the car unique, and desirable enough, for someone, to pay more money for the car.

In addition, even if it doesn't add to resale value is the option so desirable that it is worth getting.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the whole car is a depreciating asset, but I have always found that options depreciate at a faster rate then the basic car.

However some options are so desirable that they depreciate at about the same rate as the basic car because they are considered essential, or make the car unique, and therefore more desirable.

For example back in the day when you used to have to order air conditioning as an option. That was a huge positive for resale. Also depending on the market you are in, AWD or diesel makes a car unique and rare on the resale market, and increases resale value.

Conversely, ordering heavy duty springs, sway bars, tow package on a pickup truck. You got no money back on those options.

I just wonder if at resale time DHP is more like ordering the heavy duty springs, and you get no money back from it at resale time, or does it make the car unique, and desirable enough, for someone, to pay more money for the car.

In addition, even if it doesn't add to resale value is the option so desirable that it is worth getting.
Given that in the Canadian market, I was unable to find one 2013 535 X Drive in dealer inventory with this DHP in Canada leads me to believe that it isn't a big seller, hence it likely won't be in demand when it comes time to sell the car used. In Canada, the 550X Drive comes standard with the feature.

I was trying to make the point that some options are a "must have" to enhance your driving enjoyment while others are toys that one can easily do without. I thought HUD was a must have option for me (and I'd have liked to have had it), but I couldn't find one with it and the dealers tell me the number of customers that really want it is not that great, so many of their cars that have it come in on a factory order.

I think you have to pick the popular options that you will want on your car. As to DHP, you should try a car with it. If the handling is much better, maybe you won't care that it is not an option you can get money back on at sale time.
      11-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Given that in the Canadian market, I was unable to find one 2013 535 X Drive in dealer inventory with this DHP in Canada leads me to believe that it isn't a big seller, hence it likely won't be in demand when it comes time to sell the car used. In Canada, the 550X Drive comes standard with the feature.

I was trying to make the point that some options are a "must have" to enhance your driving enjoyment while others are toys that one can easily do without. I thought HUD was a must have option for me (and I'd have liked to have had it), but I couldn't find one with it and the dealers tell me the number of customers that really want it is not that great, so many of their cars that have it come in on a factory order.

I think you have to pick the popular options that you will want on your car. As to DHP, you should try a car with it. If the handling is much better, maybe you won't care that it is not an option you can get money back on at sale time.
Yeah that is what I thought, it is an option I would really have to have; because no one will want to pay extra for it at resale.

So, I guess my question is DHP really worth paying for? Is the option one that can't be lived without? If anybody has driven both please respond.

On the 550ix, I also noticed that DHP came standard, and after you equip the 535dx with DHP the cars are close to the same price. However, from fuelly.com, owners of the 550ix are getting 17-18 mpg average, and owners of the 535dx are getting over 30 mpg average. I prefer the range and fuel efficiency of the diesel. Plus, resale will be better on the diesel, I do believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that is what I thought, it is an option I would really have to have; because no one will want to pay extra for it at resale.

So, I guess my question is DHP really worth paying for? Is the option one that can't be lived without? If anybody has driven both please respond.

On the 550ix, I also noticed that DHP came standard, and after you equip the 535dx with DHP the cars are close to the same price. However, from fuelly.com, owners of the 550ix are getting 17-18 mpg average, and owners of the 535dx are getting over 30 mpg average. I prefer the range and fuel efficiency of the diesel. Plus, resale will be better on the diesel, I do believe.
In Canada, the "take rate" for the 550 is quite low. My local dealer probably sells a couple a year. I spoke to a high volume dealer in Ontario a couple of weeks ago who said they sold 3 to 4 a year. I think it is different in the US. On the other hand, diesels haven't gotten wide acceptance yet even though they are an excellent choice. With fuel costs down, I think diesels and hybrid sales are impacted.

If you want to get a view of future value, you should try building a 550i and a 535d on the BMW website and see what the residual values are for each. In Canada the 550's residual values (39 month lease) are about 7% lower than for the 535. I haven't looked at the 535d. After looking at BMW canada's website for a 39 month lease, the residuals are as follows: 535 Xdrive 52%, 535d X Drive 53%, 550 X Drive 48%. I think the 535 and the 535d are solid values. Only you can tell whether the fuel economy savings will pay off over the time you own the car.

I can't comment on DHP in the F10. I did drive a last generation 7 series with the option and it was pretty helpful at keeping the vehicle flat. Some here have posted that the trade off to flatter cornering is a more "floaty drive in the straight ahead direction.

Last edited by Grover432; 11-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Added lease residuals
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:

The 535d is new turf for BMW in the US -- hard to say if the diesel will be widely accepted in the mid-range market, and thus, what the resale market will be like. Aside from enthusiasts like us, diesel still is very much a novelty in the US, despite its many benefits. Only the Germans make diesel models -- BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi -- no other car manufacturers (can't buy a Puegot anymore in the US -- my boss had a diesel Puegot back in the late '70's and it was a great car). The only US option is if you're buying a pickup truck. Diesel adoption has been very slow.

Since you're you the fence here, I'd suggest leasing where the risk of resale is zero. You can get the car you want at a lesser price. It's a new entry, and I ordered mine from the factory and negotiated $470 over invoice, while still getting the options I wanted -- you could do the same. At the end of the lease, you could turn it back in or buy (yes, at a premium, but you have options here versus owning a red herring).

Picking up mine on Saturday..... can't wait. Ordered 9/29... 6 weeks start-to-finish!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post
Only the Germans make diesel models -- BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi -- no other manufacturers
Not quite true - Chevy Cruise is available with a diesel and is apparently selling well. I agree with the rest of your comment though.
      11-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In Canada, the "take rate" for the 550 is quite low. My local dealer probably sells a couple a year. I spoke to a high volume dealer in Ontario a couple of weeks ago who said they sold 3 to 4 a year. I think it is different in the US. On the other hand, diesels haven't gotten wide acceptance yet even though they are an excellent choice. With fuel costs down, I think diesels and hybrid sales are impacted.

If you want to get a view of future value, you should try building a 550i and a 535d on the BMW website and see what the residual values are for each. In Canada the 550's residual values (39 month lease) are about 7% lower than for the 535. I haven't looked at the 535d. After looking at BMW canada's website for a 39 month lease, the residuals are as follows: 535 Xdrive 52%, 535d X Drive 53%, 550 X Drive 48%. I think the 535 and the 535d are solid values. Only you can tell whether the fuel economy savings will pay off over the time you own the car.

I can't comment on DHP in the F10. I did drive a last generation 7 series with the option and it was pretty helpful at keeping the vehicle flat. Some here have posted that the trade off to flatter cornering is a more "floaty drive in the straight ahead direction.
Leasing is very expensive, the cost of use is very high. I don't see the advantage. If I buy the vehicle heavily discounted. I think I would do much better by purchasing the car, but I'll look at the residuals. If I can figure out where that info is, I looked quickly, and couldn't figure it out.

If you look at kbb.com, you'll notice that the diesel VW's hold there value much better than their petrol counter parts. However, the same is not true with the 335d compared to the 335. they depreciate at about the same rate, but the 335d is much rarer, so I think I could get more for it in a private sale, even though the book values are similar. Also, the cost of use is lower when you consider fuel costs.

My 335d depreciates at a rate of 2000 per year with zero options. I love the torque of the diesel and the mpg. So, I am sure depreciation will be the similar with the 535dx. I did buy the 335d with eco-credit, and below invoice, so that helped. I paid $38,000 3 years ago, and it is worth $32,000 today. I have a tough time letting it go for that price it is cherry with low miles, and non-metallic red. If I didn't need AWD, and more trunk\split folding seats, I would keep it. I love the color.

Damn, I wish they made this car in non-metallic red, or at least Oxford green. Why two blacks, two silvers, two whites? Is BMW color blind? The only color I halfway like is Pyrite brown metallic, but at $1920 + 750 for park distance, forget about it.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-06-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Leasing is very expensive, the cost of use is very high. I don't see the advantage. If I buy the vehicle heavily discounted. I think I would do much better by purchasing the car, but I'll look at the residuals. If I can figure out where that info is, I looked quickly, and couldn't figure it out.

If you look at kbb.com, you'll notice that the diesel VW's hold there value much better than their petrol counter parts. However, the same is not true with the 335d compared to the 335. they depreciate at about the same rate, but the 335d is much rarer, so I think I could get more for it in a private sale, even though the book values are similar. Also, the cost of use is lower when you consider fuel costs.

My 335d depreciates at a rate of 2000 per year with zero options. I love the torque of the diesel and the mpg. So, I am sure depreciation will be the similar with the 535dx. I did buy the 335d with eco-credit, and below invoice, so that helped. I paid $38,000 3 years ago, and it is worth $32,000 today. I have a tough time letting it go for that price it is cherry with low miles, and non-metallic red. If I didn't need AWD, and more trunk\split folding seats, I would keep it. I love the color.

Damn, I wish they made this car in non-metallic red, or at least Oxford green. Why two blacks, two silvers, two whites? Is BMW color blind? The only color I halfway like is Pyrite brown metallic, but at $1920 + 750 for park distance, forget about it.
In the interest friendly discussion, I'd say the following:

"Lease cost is expensive" - it depends on how often you change cars. You talk about buying and at the same time used car values. If you are planning to switch cars every 3 - 4 years, you are a perfect candidate for leasing. You have a fixed depreciation cost (MSRP to Residual) and a known money cost. BMW knows what payment tolerance is for their cars. At the beginning of the year, the residual on a 535d is 54% (4.9% lease rate). At the end of the year, the residual will be 47% (having the effect of increasing the lease payment) but the interest rate is typically lower (say 1.9%), which bring the payment back down.

I can't decide whether I want to own my car beyond 39 months. I leased a 2013 535 x Drive/M Sport with a 47% residual (down from 54% at the beginning of the year) and a .9% lease rate. So, that is almost free money and the payment is no higher than it would be at the beginning of the year. If I decide to keep the car, I buy it out at the lower residual and the total cost is the same as if I had paid cash for the car up front.

If I was looking at a new 2014 (as you are), I'd be asking myself the question: Do I want to own this car for more than 39 months, because if I do, I should just buy it. In that case, I'm buying the options that I want and not worried about resale value. In 5 - 6 years, that car will be worth $20,000 regardless of what option are on it.

"If You Look at KBB" - Of all the cars on the US market, VW sells the most diesels. They are highly regarded in reviews and have almost a cult following amongst buyers who are looking for an economical car to operate. I'm not sure BMW owners are the same. I think BMW is regarded firstly as a performance car company with economy taking second place. I think that is why the 335d doesn't sell as well. BMWs also tend to have higher incidence of repairs and the costs are high so people don't tend to keep them as long as the guy who puts 120,000 miles on his Jetta TDI.

The depreciation on a car is essentially based on the demand for it on the used market. In my view, 335d's won't command a higher price, because there are very few of them sold (i.e. they are scarce), but rather the opposite will be the case. Because they are not popular (for whatever reason), you won't have many buyers competing for your car and the price will be lower.

You say that your car depreciates at the rate of $2,000/year. Do you have an offer at that amount? If you do, that is exceptional. Even if the BMW residual on the web site said the car would be worth 65% of msrp after 36 months (which it doesn't), the car should be worth, $24,000. You say your car is worth $32,000. If so, you have been driving it for almost "free". Dealers are "asking" $28,000 - $33,000 and in the 90210 area, there are literally dozens for sale. Have you found a dealer who will give you more than $26,000 for the car? I note that KBB says the current value of a 335d and 335i are only about $1,000 apart (diesel higher value).

As to applying your 335d's depreciation rate to the 5 series, I think that is a mistake. The larger cars values sink at a much quicker rate.

This is just my $0.02 worth, of course, but if you can really get $32,000 after 3 years, you are in for a rude awakening on the depreciation on a 5 series (I've owned and sold several)

Last edited by Grover432; 11-06-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The dealer offered me $29,000 on a trade for a 5-series near invoice, but we didn't get into serious negotiations because I concluded the 5 series was too expensive.

in my state you only pay the difference in sales tax between your trade and the car you are buying. So, I add 2k to the 29,000, and get an effective dealer offer of $31,000. privately, I would have to sell my car for more than $31,000 to gain anything.

I have my car listed on Craig's list for less than a week, but in my experience any car over $15,000 does not sell very well there. So, I will have to look at alternative places to make a private sale. so, no response to my add yet.

I drove BMWs in the 80's, and always had great resale, in fact you would say, I was driving them for free. Always bought the base model 3-series with no options. I could have spent $50,000 on my 2011 335d with options, and then it would now be worth a few thousand more than it is now. All of it lost in depreciation.

I moved to the mountains, and found BMWs, non-Xdrive, were very dangerous to drive in the mountains (RWD, short wheelbase, high torque, and light weight). I sold my bimmer, and bought a Toyota truck. My last one was a Tundra I bought it for $28,000, and Traded it for $15,000, after driving it for seven years. The dealer sold it for $20,000. I know this because the guy called me. I have always bought and sold cars with resale like that.

I buy diesels now because of there low cost of use. resale + mpg, and absolutely love the performance. However, when I first researched this car bluebook indicated a higher resale then its petrol counter-part, but that is not true anymore. I'm wonder if that has to do with fuel prices. They were high when I bought, and now they are lower.

I tell you, anyone, who drives my 335d is just awe struck by its power, and it gets 36mpg HWY, and they don't even realize its a diesel until I tell them.

No rattle, no smoke, just raw power, and great gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The dealer offered me $29,000 on a trade for a 5-series near invoice, but we didn't get into serious negotiations because I concluded the 5 series was too expensive.

in my state you only pay the difference in sales tax between your trade and the car you are buying. So, I add 2k to the 29,000, and get an effective dealer offer of $31,000. privately, I would have to sell my car for more than $31,000 to gain anything.

I have my car listed on Craig's list for less than a week, but in my experience any car over $15,000 does not sell very well there. So, I will have to look at alternative places to make a private sale. so, no response to my add yet.

I drove BMWs in the 80's, and always had great resale, in fact you would say, I was driving them for free. Always bought the base model 3-series with no options. I could have spent $50,000 on my 2011 335d with options, and then it would now be worth a few thousand more than it is now. All of it lost in depreciation.

I moved to the mountains, and found BMWs, non-Xdrive, were very dangerous to drive in the mountains (RWD, short wheelbase, high torque, and light weight). I sold my bimmer, and bought a Toyota truck. My last one was a Tundra I bought it for $28,000, and Traded it for $15,000, after driving it for seven years. The dealer sold it for $20,000. I know this because the guy called me. I have always bought and sold cars with resale like that.

I buy diesels now because of there low cost of use. resale + mpg, and absolutely love the performance. However, when I first researched this car bluebook indicated a higher resale then its petrol counter-part, but that is not true anymore. I'm wonder if that has to do with fuel prices. They were high when I bought, and now they are lower.

I tell you, anyone, who drives my 335d is just awe struck by its power, and it gets 36mpg HWY, and they don't even realize its a diesel until I tell them.

No rattle, no smoke, just raw power, and great gas mileage.
I have no doubt the diesel is a great car to drive. I drove a X35d a couple of years ago and really liked it. On the 335d, I think some people miss the high revving silky smooth inline 6, although the drive from a stop is impressive. As to the 5 series, you will definitely see an increased rate of depreciation over a 3/4 series or 2 series. The 7 is even worse.

Your dealer's offer was $29,000. You would have to get $2,000 more in the private market to match the dealer's offer, however as I read your email dealer didn't offer you $31,000. In my province if you sell a car and buy a new one for a greater value, you can get a sales tax refund for the value of the car you sold (can't get the VAT back though).

The diesel is a great option if you won't miss the high revving 6. It is feel good experience, both from the massive torque and the fuel economy (saving the planet) plus you get to drive long distances between fill ups. The problem with diesel is that it is about 20% more expensive than premium and it has been higher than that historically. As the economy recovers and diesel fuel becomes more in demand, that trend may continue. These are some of the reasons I felt a gas model was a safer bet. If I was a travelling salesman (who could afford a BMW), I'd definitely have taken a 535d.

Good luck with your decision.
      11-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no doubt the diesel is a great car to drive. I drove a X35d a couple of years ago and really liked it. On the 335d, I think some people miss the high revving silky smooth inline 6, although the drive from a stop is impressive. As to the 5 series, you will definitely see an increased rate of depreciation over a 3/4 series or 2 series. The 7 is even worse.

Your dealer's offer was $29,000. You would have to get $2,000 more in the private market to match the dealer's offer, however as I read your email dealer didn't offer you $31,000. In my province if you sell a car and buy a new one for a greater value, you can get a sales tax refund for the value of the car you sold (can't get the VAT back though).

The diesel is a great option if you won't miss the high revving 6. It is feel good experience, both from the massive torque and the fuel economy (saving the planet) plus you get to drive long distances between fill ups. The problem with diesel is that it is about 20% more expensive than premium and it has been higher than that historically. As the economy recovers and diesel fuel becomes more in demand, that trend may continue. These are some of the reasons I felt a gas model was a safer bet. If I was a travelling salesman (who could afford a BMW), I'd definitely have taken a 535d.

Good luck with your decision.
You can't get the money back in the U.S. That is why I add it back in to the sale price. So the effective real price for the car, baring another offer, is $31,000.

I have driven the petrol version of my car, the 335i, and I far prefer the diesel. I have to be careful when I step on the pedal that I don't lay rubber with my diesel. The torque is awesome. In the 5-series the diesel lacks the same power my 335d has, above 80. Due to the increased weight of the car, but I mostly drive around town, and go cross country once a year.

If money wasn't an object. I would definitely buy the 550ix, or jump to the 650ix.

However, I sold my pickup truck, and bought a car because I got sick of putting a $100 per week in tank. The 550ix gets the same gas mileage as my Tundra. I was very close to buying a Prius when I discovered the VW diesels, and then at the same dealership discovered the heavily discounted 335d. I have never been sorry I purchased this car it is amazing!

I just need AWD and more cargo space. I can't even fit my road bike frame in the trunk, never mind skis. I kind of miss having a truck.
Appreciate 0