2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drive To Charge Battery Message

07-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #23
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

There is a voltage readout accessible through the instrument cluster, albeit in a "hidden" menu.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I feel the message system on the BMW needs to be revamped to notice difference between a battery with a low charge and a alternator with low output.
I think you will find it does. Without digging out the energy management docs and reading through them, I can't quote the exact parameters.

Are you sure it is the alternator? Could be, but you are not sorted yet, could be some really unusual mode of failure. The alternator may be capable of charging and at he correct voltage.

Let's see it fixed and then debate whether it could/should have given the correct diagnosis ahead of failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Two days and so far so good!
      05-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
1juniorrivera52@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I just had this similar thing happen to me, driving home from Chicago and all of the sudden I get this battery discharging and for me to drive the car for a period of time to charge up the battery, I was already on the freeway so I was like WTH? Anyway, I continue to drive then I start getting all these malfunction alarms (ABS, Xdrive, lights not working, radio turns off, air conditioning not blowing or working, transmission malfunction etc etc) I pull over to am off ramp where I barely make to the gas station and I turn the car off, try to restart and nothing.

got outside of the car and something actually smelled like it was burning, anyways got the car towed home and am waiting for tomorrow to have it towed to the dealership.

Frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #27
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1juniorrivera52@gmail.com View Post
I just had this similar thing happen to me, driving home from Chicago and all of the sudden I get this battery discharging and for me to drive the car for a period of time to charge up the battery, I was already on the freeway so I was like WTH? Anyway, I continue to drive then I start getting all these malfunction alarms (ABS, Xdrive, lights not working, radio turns off, air conditioning not blowing or working, transmission malfunction etc etc) I pull over to am off ramp where I barely make to the gas station and I turn the car off, try to restart and nothing.

got outside of the car and something actually smelled like it was burning, anyways got the car towed home and am waiting for tomorrow to have it towed to the dealership.

Frustrating to say the least.
So, was it the alternator or something more expensive?